Newbie Question: Can I create a navigational map of a small city with GM or GE?

Hi Everyone,
Let me get this out of the way by saying I am a newbie here and this is what I want to do:

There isn't any maps at all for where I live , so I want to create a nav map i can use for my city(400km2) to use on my TT.

Is it possible to create TT nav maps from a Google Maps? GM in my area is quite detailed! So please, please please I need help!

What software would I require or a link somewhere that I could read up on that would help me do this?

Oh let me clarify, I am looking to create maps I can use to navigate round town, not planned routes.

If I decide to sell or give out my map, do i need to create different sort of maps for each TT?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the link! At least I am getting somewhere!

I am trying it out with a small corner of the city.

According to the link I need to say the SAT file into /raster/staticmap.sat, but I can't seem to find raster folder anywhere on my TT drive. (I looked through every folder on my TT)
I am using TomTom GO 700

Do I create a folder with the name of my city and store the various files and folders in there? I would try doing that and see what happens. To those shaking their head vigorously, I have backed my TT up first.

If I get lost I will ask for more help, so you probably haven't seen the last of me yet. If I sort it out, I could post the steps here if anyone is interested that is!

Thanks again for the quick reply!

Last edited:
Here's another link for you to study:
ttMaps

and check out the link to 'map overlays' here: Create Your Own Content Guide

I haven't played with overlay features at all but raster files do reside in a raster folder on your unit so if one isn't there I presume just create the folder called 'raster' (no quotes) using Explorer.

Here's another link for you to study:
ttMaps

and check out the link to 'map overlays' here: Create Your Own Content Guide

I haven't played with overlay features at all but raster files do reside in a raster folder on your unit so if one isn't there I presume just create the folder called 'raster' (no quotes) using Explorer.

You are absolutely fabulous!!! Thank you very much. I would test my skills on this! I will keep you all posted!

Ask a Question