Newbie...Can I put a route from Google Maps into the TomTom One LE?

cool. thanks for the reply. I just got the most recent update from tomtom home but not sure what to do next.. what the steps are for transferring this itn file to the tomtom. Obviously i hook it to the usb cable... now what?

Thanks!
That's easy. Just hook up TomTom to your computer and turn it on. Computer might ask what you want to do, in which case say you want to look at the TomTom folder. Don't bother with TomTom Home. If it doesn't ask, then go to the TomTom drive from My Computer. It should be the first unused letter after your normal drive(s). Double click into the itn folder, and copy your newly produced .itn file there.

Then comes the awkward part, getting to the right place in TomTom's menu.

- At the top level of the menu structure, click Itinerary Planning. That should show you your most recent itinerary, if any.

- Click Options.

- If the most recent itinerary is one that you have not already saved and you do want to save it, click Save Itinerary. Otherwise click Load Itinerary.

- It will ask you to confirm that you want to delete the current itinerary. Assuming that you were OK with the previous step here, click Yes. Don't worry?if your most recent itinerary was one that you had previously saved, it will stay saved. "The current itinerary" will be a temporary copy of it.

- Finally you'll get a list of the itineraries stored in your itn folder. Click the one you want, wait a moment till it pops up, click Done.

- Navigate!

thanks for your reply, but there appears to be something I'm doing wrong.

I plug in the USB cord to my tomtom, the tomtom asks me if i want to connect to the computer. i click yes, is shows it connecting, tomtom home pops up on my computer screen and then the face of the tomtom is just a picture of the unit with an orange back drop. do you have this? there's nothing to press to move on to the next screen. even when i touch the screen nothing happens.

I don't have a menu structure and i don't have itinerary planning becaue i have the tomtom one 3rd edition.

Any thoughts to what i may be doing wrong?? I have the itn file in the itn folder, just kinda stuck right now.

cheers!

Any thoughts to what i may be doing wrong??
If TomTom Home pops up all by itself then it must have been running in the background from a previous use. Look for its icon down in the system tray and kill it off. I think its default install is to start up automatically at boot. (I hate such arrogance!) But regardless of whether it's running or not, the My Computer approach ought to work.

I'm at the end of my (second hand) knowledge regarding the 3rd edition. Do you have the latest application installed? I think you'll have to look around here for threads that specifically address the quirks of the 3rd edition. This place is not well organized, so the same questions get asked and answered all over the place.

Glad I got V2!

thanks for your reply, but there appears to be something I'm doing wrong.

I plug in the USB cord to my tomtom, the tomtom asks me if i want to connect to the computer. i click yes, is shows it connecting, tomtom home pops up on my computer screen and then the face of the tomtom is just a picture of the unit with an orange back drop. do you have this? there's nothing to press to move on to the next screen. even when i touch the screen nothing happens.

I don't have a menu structure and i don't have itinerary planning becaue i have the tomtom one 3rd edition.

Any thoughts to what i may be doing wrong?? I have the itn file in the itn folder, just kinda stuck right now.

cheers!

This is the way your unit will look while you're using the HOME software. Once the menu comes up on the HOME program, select "update my device"
Wait a couple minutes while the program searches for updates, then you should see that one of the updates is the new version of Navcore, 7.162. Click on "Download updates", and they will install onto your TomTom. One of the updates on this version is that it will give you a menu icon for itinerary planning. I don't have a v3, so I can't say that it worked, but that's what I have read. Good luck

I have a 3rd Edition and updating to 7.162 will not give it the Itinerary menu or the POI edit menus. You need to do the menu hack to get them on the 3rd editon and doing so will disable some of the other standard menu items.

The LE comes with all menus and an SD card slot. TOM TOM messed up big time with the 3rd Edition.

TD

Third Edition

I have a 3rd Edition and updating to 7.162 will not give it the Itinerary menu or the POI edit menus. You need to do the menu hack to get them on the 3rd editon and doing so will disable some of the other standard menu items.

The LE comes with all menus and an SD card slot. TOM TOM messed up big time with the 3rd Edition.

TD

I agree, I think they released this unit in an effort to cut costs. I guess it's fine for some people, but in a few years, it will be obsolete. It's almost like a disposeable GPS. I like that they made the ONE v2 and v4 with the SD slot. This gives it some longevity.

Google and POI

Yes, you can create an itinerary on google maps and transfer it to your TomTom. It's a great way to plot out a route your way rather than TomTom's.

I have not tried the routing method you recommend, but never the less, Google is still useful. I was looking for POIs on my route, and Google had some that I was interested in. It was easy to transfer them to my 720 and make it a POI. Will this new POI go as an update to other users when I connect to Home?

joey

i never really understood how the google map ITN can be transferred to the tomtom. let's say i put an ITN from google to the device.. wont it only work if my destination A to B are exactly the same as when i entered it from google? what if i made 10 ITN all over south california area to get from 1 city to another. how will an google ITN help me if i wanted to get from let's say, disneyland in Aneheim, CA to Universal Studios in Hollywood, CA?

i never really understood how the google map ITN can be transferred to the tomtom. let's say i put an ITN from google to the device.. wont it only work if my destination A to B are exactly the same as when i entered it from google? what if i made 10 ITN all over south california area to get from 1 city to another. how will an google ITN help me if i wanted to get from let's say, disneyland in Aneheim, CA to Universal Studios in Hollywood, CA?

The advantage of a Google route is you can FORCE the unit to pass through waypoints (using it own map's built in roads) to get to a destination. This is useful if you know you want to take a specific road during a certain part of your journey. So, you can map point A to B to C to D to E.....and the TomTom will "connect the dots" to create an itinerary.

As to how to pass the ITN info to the TomTom....please read my TYRE and Google maps page below:
>>> TYRE and Google Maps <<<

All the TYRE program does is copy the *.itn file to the /itn folder on your TomTom. Once the *.itn file exists on your TomTom, you can select it in your itnerary planning icon.

The advantage of a Google route is you can FORCE the unit to pass through waypoints (using it own map's built in roads) to get to a destination.

Birdman has it right. TomTom and Google each have their own idea about how to navigate between any two points. If the points are reasonably close and the roads that connect them are reasonably obvious, you'll probably get the same route. But on a long trip they could easily have very different ideas about things. And neither one might do it exactly the way you would want to go in the first place.

That's why you have to insert waypoints. There's no magic number that says you've inserted enough. It might call for a bit of trial and error. For example, I usually take I-295 (free) rather than the Jersey Turnpike (toll) for that stretch where the two run parallel to each other. TomTom wants to route me on the Turnpike, probably because that route might be a few feet shorter, and I can't avoid this by saying "no toll roads" because there are toll roads that I need to take on other parts of my trip. Even after I use Google to route me over to 295 and send the .itn to TomTom, TomTom keeps finding connections between the two roads and trying to get me back onto the Turnpike. I've found that I have to insert about three waypoints into Google to nail down the route so firmly that TomTom has no choice but to do it my way.

^^^

That's good news. We had kind of figured that the "send a business address" capability was the first step in a richer interface between TomTom and Google. However, especially with the different maps that the two use in the US, I think we will continue to see differences in how the two try to route us, necessitating informed use of waypoints to make the routes work out our way.

google maps - secret barred road (military)

Yes, you can create an itinerary on google maps and transfer it to your TomTom. It's a great way to plot out a route your way rather than TomTom's.

A TomTom user in Europe has set up a great script at http://houghi.org/tomtom that talks you through the process. English is clearly his second or third language, so it's just a bit hard to follow, but once you figure it out it works great.

Summarized, you first go to google maps at http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d. Create a route the way you want it to be, which is pretty easy with google's drag and drop facility. Then, and this is important, you have to zoom in close to the start and end points and move them just the very slightest bit. An inch or so (on the ground) is sufficient. This apparently causes google to record their lat/long in the proper form. Then click "Link to this page," copy the resulting link, paste it into the box at houghi.org, and click Make ITN.

This will produce an ASCII readable .ITN file. You could further edit it in Notepad if you wish, perhaps to modify the names of the various points along the way. Then copy the resulting file into the itn folder on your TomTom. You can do this simply through the normal Windows file handling facilities. No need to fire up TomTom Home.

One caution. Google and TomTom use different routing algorithms. Just because you set up a bunch of waypoints with google that product the route you want to take, TomTom might have its own idea regarding how to navigate between them. If this happens, go back to google and drop in a few more points along the way to force TomTom to do it your way.

Q. can you also edit the device to allow you to drive on a public high road - unfortunately its a military listening post and tomtom reroutes me avoiding this road adding 10 mins onto my jounrey - have done all the usual tomtom (usa helpdesk) have confirmed its due to the military post that it stops me driving or choosing that road - the road just stop half way long - in fact right next to the listening post which is even more daft.

would apprecaite an edit of .cfg maybe to allow me to drive on a public road using the shortest and quickest route thanks..........

A TomTom user in Europe has set up a great script at http://houghi.org/tomtom that talks you through the process. English is clearly his second or third language, so it's just a bit hard to follow, but once you figure it out it works great.

Summarized, you first go to google maps at http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d. Create a route the way you want it to be, which is pretty easy with google's drag and drop facility. Then, and this is important, you have to zoom in close to the start and end points and move them just the very slightest bit. An inch or so (on the ground) is sufficient. This apparently causes google to record their lat/long in the proper form. Then click "Link to this page," copy the resulting link, paste it into the box at houghi.org, and click Make ITN.

This will produce an ASCII readable .ITN file. You could further edit it in Notepad if you wish, perhaps to modify the names of the various points along the way. Then copy the resulting file into the itn folder on your TomTom. You can do this simply through the normal Windows file handling facilities. No need to fire up TomTom Home.

One caution. Google and TomTom use different routing algorithms. Just because you set up a bunch of waypoints with google that product the route you want to take, TomTom might have its own idea regarding how to navigate between them. If this happens, go back to google and drop in a few more points along the way to force TomTom to do it your way.

I don't think this is working any more. I am coping and pasting the link and it won't produce the int file.

E

I don't think this is working any more. I am coping and pasting the link and it won't produce the int file.

E
I just tried and had problems as well. It worked fine for me a couple of days ago.

I first suspected that it might have been a problem with that final step of moving the start and end locations by just a tiny little bit, but that wasn't it.

Anybody else have a problem, or achieve success in the very near past?

Ask a Question