New XXL 540S

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540S
New XXL 540S - When to update map

This is my first GPS which I got for Christmas,

When does the 30 day Free Map Upgrade window start?

What starts the 30 day clock and monitors this?

Is it when you first connect to the HOME software?

Is it when you turn the unit on for the first time?

I have not connected this unit to the HOME software.

I have done a full backup of the unit before it was configured in any way doing the backup from Windows Explorer.

Should I update to map version 840 now or wait for the next version?

It would seem a newer map is around the corner and I would like to get that and would be willing to wait.

------

Also I noticed that the unit will route me through unnamed alleys. Is there a way to turn this off?

I disabled IQ routes and it no longer routes me through alleys.

George

App = 8.550 (245223/090819)
GPS = v1.20
BOOT = 5.5228
MAP = USA Canada Mexico v835.2419

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, your 30 days starts from the day the till receipt is issued as thats all the proof TomTom will accept as proof of purchase in the event of a failure.

We are about 8 weeks away from any sort of new map so I would download the current v840 map, if you try an wait for the next map and for some reason it fails to work you will end up with nothing at all as you would be 60 days into a 30 day period!

I am not too sure why IQ Routes data is sending you through alleys but I find the routes it produces are far better than without it, you are selecting Fastest route for the planning option and not shortest per chance? - Mike

Hi thanks for answering my questions.

Yes the "Fastest route" is selected. The only thing I changed was to disable IQ Routes.

The alley's are on the map, but unnamed. I did a simple test of an easy route to my sister's house 6 blocks away. 3 turns total to get there.

With IQ Routes ENABLED the route would always choose an alley instead of a regular street which parallels it by 25 ft.

With IQ Routes DISABLED the route chooses the regular street instead of the alley which is the correct way to go.

Last edited:
IQroutes probably things the alley is a faster way to drive. Is it?

IQroutes directions and arrival times are really good most of the time, I definitely wouldn't recommend disabling it.

If you don't want the Tomtom to take the alley, you can go to mapshare and block the road.

The distance is the same using the alley or street because they run absolutely parallel to each other.

I feel after using my XXL 540S that IQ routes causes a LOT of the crazy routing that I and others have noticed.

I did several other tests and the best routes were always with IQ routes DISABLED.

When I update my XXL 540S I will test again. Until then IQ routes is DISABLED.

The distance is the same using the alley or street because they run absolutely parallel to each other.

IQroutes doesn't look at distance, it looks at the speed that others in the past have driven the roads.

If there's tons of congestion/stoplights on the main road, and the alley is often clear, it will recommend the alley.

One quick question since you're having lots of issues: IQroutes is time-specific. Is your Tomtom's clock set properly?

MVL -

Yes regular streets have more traffic than alley's here, but the alley is about 75 ft long total and is "Unnamed" on the map. In fact the turning instructions give the alley the same name as the very next street to turn on.

IQ Routing is a good idea in certain cases... but I can see it messing up here and there. Nothing is perfect.

I set the correct time right after the first backup in which I plugged in the unit to my computer and turned it on without the unit fully booting up.

I should have a virgin backup since no satellite contact was made and the unit did not fully bootup.

I'm a computer consultant by trade and I've done a close binary analysis of the files. It seems the important "virgin" files are all dated 1-1-2000.

I am still debating on waiting till Feb/March for the map updates. If my hunch is correct, I think I'll have no trouble getting the Feb/March map. It's a gamble I know. I would restore the first "virgin" backup before the first encounter with the "HOME" software in Feb/March.

The only files dated 1-1-2000 which have changed since fully booting up are

\settings.dat
\ttgo.bif
\UserPatch.dat
\itn\temporary.iti
\USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P\MapSettings.cfg

I will be gambling that one of these or all of them mark the start of the 30 day clock. If I'm wrong well that's the way it goes. I still may just update before the 26th..... still thinking about it and READING.... a LOT.

If I do become a test case, I will share my findings good or bad. Hey I'm a geek and it's fun!

BTW the XXL 540S was a present, I did not buy it.

Last edited:
Do not wait beyond day 26 to get your LMG. In the 'old' days, the file used by TomTom to determine first use was indeed a simple text file. Well, it didn't take people long tto figure out how to edit the file to extend the 30-day window.

No longer, the file used by TomTom is encrypted.

Yes regular streets have more traffic than alley's here, but the alley is about 75 ft long total and is "Unnamed" on the map. In fact the turning instructions give the alley the same name as the very next street to turn on.

Yes, I've seen that bug also. Usually it's a good thing for unnamed highway ramps, etc. To fix the spoken directions, go to mapshare and rename the alley to something like "Alley".

I will be gambling that one of these or all of them mark the start of the 30 day clock. If I'm wrong well that's the way it goes. I still may just update before the 26th..... still thinking about it and READING.... a LOT.

The file used by Tomtom to count the LMG is not exposed to the USB flashdrive emulation. So even if completely formated and reimaged using a binary imager, the Tomtom will still know it's been more than 30 days.

So your process of "tricking" the LMG likely won't work.

Last edited:

Ask a Question