New Wireless Traffic Device?!?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 910
Called TomTom support today to have my trial Traffic subscription reset to extend it to the end of March and was told that TomTom will be releasing a new device that connects to your TomTom to allow it to download the traffic data directly without using your phone and was told specifically that this WAS NOT the FM Transmitter!

She said she was unable to give me any additional details but stated they were mentioning this to customers that called about the Traffic service. She also stated it would carry a "nominal" fee and that it was like a "wireless internet service".

Has anyone else heard this?

Bryan

It's called the delay tactic while they figure out what's wrong with the Plus services. This is news to me, and I find it odd that a support person would mention a secondary device needed as a "new and improved" way of doing something.

my 3 cents...

It's called the delay tactic while they figure out what's wrong with the Plus services. This is news to me, and I find it odd that a support person would mention a secondary device needed as a "new and improved" way of doing something.

my 3 cents...
I'm not such a cynic! She did state that many users don't have a "media package" to go along with their cell phone which is obviously required right now to access the extended data for traffic. They have received complaints about that according to her. I guess some are expecting this for free. I wait in anticipation!

Bryan

eh... not so much cynical as anicdotal... I wait, patiently, and with giggles...

It would be nice if it were a free service, but that won't happen. I'm surprised they say most users today don't have "the package" (I don't) but i see sooooo many people that do.

Will be interesting to find out for certain! Thanks for posting the info!

(I'm really not a tomtom support cynic. I just tease about it, in hope to make light of a sometimes not so good situation with them) ;)

I don't have a package lol. I/m d/ling per kb at regular rate. I mean, how often do I use it anyway (esp. since it still doesn't work for me)

What they need to do is get teh RDS-TMC working. This solution would be cheaper in the long run. We only buy the TMC receiver and it would receive traffic info for free. Now we this device, we still have to pay for each download/update. Another way to earn more $$$.

Must be the FM receiver... how else would it connect to the ONE? Or maybe it will only be for the X10 series and the 300/700. The ONE's only connection is the mini usb. Wait, now that I'm looking, there is some suspect connector on the back, top right corner. Who's this guy?

Oh, that's right. I knew that but it never gets talked about so I forgot all about it. Sometimes I'm such a tool.... ;)

No. It's an FM Receiver!

It's not really like wireless internet, you can only get traffic info, nothing else.

Yes. It's the RDS TMC receiver. They are already on sale in Europe, but are not compatible (yet) with US TMC.
No! You're referring to the "FM Transmitter Mount" as described here and will only work on the GO 510, 710 or 910. I specifically asked if she was referring to the FM Transmitter mount (which is both a transmitter AND a receiver) and she said no, that there would be a charge to use this service. Keep in mind that the "free" service you get via the FM Transmitter mount is NOT the same quality of data you get via your cell phone connection now as described here.

She specifically stated they were two separate and distinct options for TomTom customers!

Also, keep in mind with the FM Transmitter Mount you cannot listen to CD's or other AM/FM radio stations AND your TomTom at the same time over your car stereo. You have to listen to one or the other!

Bryan

Last edited:
Also, keep in mind with the FM Transmitter Mount you cannot listen to CD's or other AM/FM radio stations AND your TomTom at the same time over your car stereo. You have to listen to one or the other!
...and the screaming kids, your nagging wife, the hyper dog and the @#$%^& you just cut off cuz you couldn't hear a damn thing and almost missed your turn!

No! You're referring to the "FM Transmitter Mount" as described here and will only work on the GO 510, 710 or 910. I specifically asked if she was referring to the FM Transmitter mount (which is both a transmitter AND a receiver) and she said no, that there would be a charge to use this service.

The FM Transmitter mount is only a transmitter for audio output. It is not an RDS-TMC receiver. It cannot receive traffic information. You need a seperate add-on receiver for that.

It really does sound like this will be an XM NavTraffic solution which would probably be an alternative traffic receiver that hooks up like (and in place of) the RDS-TMC receiver. There's a recurring subscription fee along with initial upfront equipment cost for the XM service. It's available for Garmin units along with some factory installed systems already. However, XM NavTraffic is sort of tied to Navteq (how much, I'm not certain) so we'll see if maybe TomTom will be employing a competing product (Sirius Traffic perhaps?) or they may be using a totally different technology altogether (HD-Radio? Dedicated UMTS/HSPDA or other 3G type mobile wireless service? Telepathy? :p).

Keep in mind that the "free" service you get via the FM Transmitter mount is NOT the same quality of data you get via your cell phone connection now as described here.

That webpage can be a little misleading. It depends on how richly covered your area is by whatever services TomTom uses. While it's true that most RDS-TMC traffic reporting only gives you basic information (usually distributed by local government transportation agencies), it may be that TomTom Plus Traffic doesn't actually receive any more information thus the end result is the same. In some areas, Plus Traffic might be getting better or more information (in addition to whatever free reporting is out there) and thus can provide the user with better information. I think a little bit of research into what's available in your area along with trying out Plus might give you a better feel for the value of Plus Traffic. It's all going to be variable. This is going to be the same situation for XM NavTraffic.

Last edited:
No! You're referring to the "FM Transmitter Mount" as described...
No, I am not. You are mistaken.

Keep in mind that the "free" service you get via the FM Transmitter mount is NOT the same quality of data you get via your cell phone connection now...
You don't get any 'service' via the FM transmitter mount. All it does is to relay the navigation instructions (and music if you have a 910) to your car radio. That is it. It doesn't receive anything.

There are only 2 options for traffic: PLUS (via your phone), or RDS TMC.

Ask a Question