New VIA series - fixed quirks in XL series?

Hi,

I'm trying to compare the recent VIA series to the previous XL series.

Would anyone know if some of the quirks in the XL series are fixed in the VIA series, or they are still there:

Problems in XL series

- voice pronunciation problem (need to rename cphoneme.dat)
- reboot problem after a map update

Also, does the VIA series have the 'fuel saving route' option (that hopefully would lead to routing along roads w/ higher speed limit like highways and major roads vs. smaller roads)?

Thanks.

The pronunciation is much better on the VIA series, they changed TTS vendors from Loquendo on the XL to Nuance on the VIA.

I don't think it was Loqueno's fault, however, it just seems that Tomtom's cphoneme file works better with Nuance.

The downside is that you can no longer edit files on the Tomtom, so there's no ability to rename cphoneme if you're still having problems.

LIVE VIA models are on demo at Target and Best Buy, I'd recommend doing a route demo to see the TTS.

Regarding map-reboots, there were lots of issues with the VIA map-update reboots in 2010, but they have minimized substantially in app 10.100 and later. Reboots still exist, but reports now are far fewer than reports on the XL from what I've seen.

The Via will introduce you to a whole other set of quirks and missing features. Check this site to make sure that you'd be OK living without all the "still being built" features.

Ask a Question