New V.720 North American & Western European Maps

I received an e-mail from TomTom customer support that the North America and Europe maps were sent to my account and are ready for download; however, I have a question with respect to space. The e-mail stated the following:

"Please note, the 7.20 Western & Central Europe map was not developed for use with the US GO 920. This is because it will not fit on the hard drive of this unit in conjunction with the North American map. To access this map on your unit, it will be necessary to install onto an external SD card. We recommend at least a 2 GB standard SD card. A larger one can be used, however, no more than 4 GB is recommended."

Given this information, I will pick up a 4 GB SD card this afternoon; however, what exactly do I do? It looks like there is an SD card already in the unit when I purchased it. Do I simply remove it and insert the new one? I guess I'm concerned with respect to the steps involved with transfering data from one SD card to another, installing the new maps, not losing my favorites, etc.

Thanks

Think you may find that what's in your unit is nothing more than a plastic piece shaped like a sd card. Remove it. You'll want a 4 gig sdhc card and format it as fat32 if it is not already done. Then, insert it into the unit, dock the unit and start it up. When you start Home, it'll recognize the existence of both internal and the sd memory and ask what you want to use. So, select the external (sd card) and then download and install the European map there.

I received an e-mail from TomTom customer support that the North America and Europe maps were sent to my account and are ready for download; however, I have a question with respect to space. The e-mail stated the following:

"Please note, the 7.20 Western & Central Europe map was not developed for use with the US GO 920. This is because it will not fit on the hard drive of this unit in conjunction with the North American map. To access this map on your unit, it will be necessary to install onto an external SD card. We recommend at least a 2 GB standard SD card. A larger one can be used, however, no more than 4 GB is recommended."

Given this information, I will pick up a 4 GB SD card this afternoon; however, what exactly do I do? It looks like there is an SD card already in the unit when I purchased it. Do I simply remove it and insert the new one? I guess I'm concerned with respect to the steps involved with transfering data from one SD card to another, installing the new maps, not losing my favorites, etc.

Thanks

You could still install both maps into TT920 but which ever map you install last will not have the map voice file to speak street name for that map. I have version 7.20 of both maps on TT920 without using additional SD card since I simply have no need to use Europe map at the moment.

Ask a Question