New V.720 North American & Western European Maps

Any sign of changes from all the POI and street Mapshare updates. My last map update, had no changes that I had turned in and all the POIs had to be redone by using my old POI file to keep from having to reenter every one as a POI fix. Just wondering if new map version is worth the trouble.

Not sure about the affect of the map share changes, however, I will be going to Holland in a week and created a "Holland Family" POI for all the addresses and phone numbers for my relatives in Holland. They are all still there after the upgrade.

I contacted TT via "ask a question" feature on TT home website yesterday night and I just got email confirm that both map North Ameria and Western & Central Europe v. 720 have been added to my account. I'll be downloading these when I get home tonight! I weren't able to download Europe map version 7.15 when it came out few months ago, but this time it seems that I can download both map. Woot!

Is there a reason no VR on the Western European Maps? It works fine with north american. Doesn't the european version have VR for the Western European Maps?

Has anyone been able to download the maps? I've tried about 6 times getting anywhere between 20 and 40% when it fails with server not responding.

Tech support is no help, they blame it on your computer. Being a Network Operations Administrator I KNOW my system, iMac running Leopard, is solid.

Great advice! I found the contact us link at the bottom of a FAQ (if there's another one somewhere else, I missed it). I was able to create the support incident requesting that BOTH North America and Western and Central Europe be added to my account for download via TomTome Home, and attach the necessary documents, all without ever picking up the phone. Twelve minutes later I received an email stating that BOTH map updates had been added to my account.

I should add that the certificate I sent them a copy of is for a ONE YEAR map guarantee, which states "you are entitled to download all the new map releases for one year at no charge." If the wording on your guarantee is different, your results may vary.

I also took the advice posted and contacted support requesting both maps. I got the NA v7.20 only. I just sent a follow up to support. I sent copies of my receipt which clearly shows GO920T
BUT the latest map guarantee form (also sent) that came in the sealed box purchased from Circuit City is for a GO720 and is a 30 day guarantee.
Are ALL the GO920 latest map guarantee for 1 Year? Are some 30 days?
I would really appreciate it if one of you would email a scan of a GO920 1 year Latest Map Guarantee or post a link if possible.
They may send me the EU map but I would still like a copy of the one year map guarantee.

Thanks,
Sidney

V7.20 NA and EU... locked and loaded.

Just bought the 920 the other day.... because of this forum, I knew about the new maps. :)

Called, set up the ticket number, attached the receipt and upgrade offer sheet. Was able to DL the maps today although I made them wait on the phone to insure I got everything I think I deserved. Only the NA map showed up so I said I wanted the EU as well, no problem. I quick flick of the mouse and I have that too.

Loaded up the NA map today. USB 1 and a slow connection meant I left it load while I went to work.

So far in my quick buzz around town... (Fredericton NB, Canada) they are a lot of improvements. Plus is just seems to work better. Speed limits on the majors is there. Intersections that were wonky now seem right... Accuracy seem to be better as well.

Life is good.

I put in an online ticket for the European maps and never got a response. I guess I'll have to try calling again.

Has anyone been able to download the maps? I've tried about 6 times getting anywhere between 20 and 40% when it fails with server not responding.

Tech support is no help, they blame it on your computer. Being a Network Operations Administrator I KNOW my system, iMac running Leopard, is solid.

I seem to have much better luck updating via Home if I give the process a lower priority in Windows task manager. Maybe there is something similar you can do on a iMac?

My first thought here is that something in Home is waiting for a response, and timing out based on the number of loops a process goes through, rather than a measured passage of time - the faster the app runs, the more quickly it will time out. This would be poor programming technique, especially considering that the response time is independent of the speed at which Home is running.

Last edited:
Is there a reason no VR on the Western European Maps? It works fine with north american. Doesn't the european version have VR for the Western European Maps?

If you installed both new map on tt920 like mine, then VR for Western Europena maps won't get install in the device. Look at your TT Home folder directory, there is subfolder called "Home", then "download", click on "map", it should have both folder Western European maps. Choose the one with "-1" at the end (for version 720). Open the Western and Central Europe zip file and all the VR for Europe should be inside.

I were able to download both new map with no problem.

Success

I called TT customer service. I had very good luck this time and received my upgrades. Also, when installing, my 920T re-updated to 7.48. This time the voice functions continued to work.

Got Both Maps

I want to thank SLY999 :D again for his great advice on contacting support. I received the NA yesterday but no Western and Central Europe. I sent another request this morning and in a few hours got a nice reply with an apology for their oversight and the Western and Central Europe v7.20 has been placed in my account. I really think that the people who do computer email support are more effective and knowledgeable than those that provide phone support.

Sidney

Map Guarantee

I also took the advice posted and contacted support requesting both maps. I got the NA v7.20 only. I just sent a follow up to support. I sent copies of my receipt which clearly shows GO920T
BUT the latest map guarantee form (also sent) that came in the sealed box purchased from Circuit City is for a GO720 and is a 30 day guarantee.
Are ALL the GO920 latest map guarantee for 1 Year? Are some 30 days?
I would really appreciate it if one of you would email a scan of a GO920 1 year Latest Map Guarantee or post a link if possible.
They may send me the EU map but I would still like a copy of the one year map guarantee.

Thanks,
Sidney

I am not sure about your question regarding the 1 year guarantee for ALL TT920s. You would think they all were the same. Mine had the 1 year certificate with a code that I was supposed to enter in to the computer to get the updates. However, that didn't work and I had to e-mail them a copy along with the receipt.
I don't think a copy of my Map Guarantee will help you since I already used my code.
I think you just need to push it up the chain further and see what they say.
Good Luck.

FvR, See my post just prior to your last post, I did get both maps.

However, I still would appreciate it if someone would email me a copy of a
GO920 Latest Map Guarantee (one year) as the one in my box is for a GO720 (30 days)
It might come in handy later this year if needed. I don't need or want the code.

Thanks,
Sidney

GO920 Latest Map Guarantee (one year) as the one in my box is for a GO720 (30 days)
It might come in handy later this year if needed. I don't need or want the code.

Thanks,
Sidney

The LMG in the my 920 box stated 720 on it as well.... they accepted it without question. I was prepared for a battle though... they obviously know about it.

Thanks,
Sidney

Mine stated 720 as well but after faxing copy of 720 certificates and original invoice to TT support about 2 months ago was able to download both NA & cw EU version 715. Called TT support talked to Michelle yesterday and she said 1 year map guarantee No Problem, she looked in my TT account where the copies of original receipt & certificate was and with in five minutes both NA & cw EU 720 was added to my account. :) :)

I updated to NA 720 and my voice recognition malfunctioned. I already tried a pin reset and the flash tool with no luck. Customer service says to update software to 7.481 which I'm a little leary of due to other posts. It worked fine with maps 710 and 715.

Make a backup and update the firmware if you really need VR.
If you don't like the results, you can always restore to your back up.

I received an e-mail from TomTom customer support that the North America and Europe maps were sent to my account and are ready for download; however, I have a question with respect to space. The e-mail stated the following:

"Please note, the 7.20 Western & Central Europe map was not developed for use with the US GO 920. This is because it will not fit on the hard drive of this unit in conjunction with the North American map. To access this map on your unit, it will be necessary to install onto an external SD card. We recommend at least a 2 GB standard SD card. A larger one can be used, however, no more than 4 GB is recommended."

Given this information, I will pick up a 4 GB SD card this afternoon; however, what exactly do I do? It looks like there is an SD card already in the unit when I purchased it. Do I simply remove it and insert the new one? I guess I'm concerned with respect to the steps involved with transfering data from one SD card to another, installing the new maps, not losing my favorites, etc.

Thanks

Ask a Question