New V.720 North American & Western European Maps

FvR

Well, after a couple of tries, I was finally able to get a hold of someone at TT Customer Service that knew what they were doing and was able to accommodate me with the latest maps V.720 for both North America and Western Europe. These were just released today..... Her name was "Delores" and she has been there for over 4 years. I told her that I saw a newer version V.715 of the North American and Western European Maps avialable for sale, that I still had the old V.710 and that I had a certificate that stated "Free Map Updates for 1 Year". She asked me for the number and when I purchased the 920 unit. I bought the unit in early April. She asked that I send her copies of the certificate and receipts. After having read another thread, I was already for that request and had already scanned them. I sent her the copies right then. After receipt of the information, she had me go to TT Home in the "tools" section and the "Use latest map Guarantee" for my updates. Initially the maps were not there. However, she was with me the whole time and was able to get me both maps. I downloaded the V.720 Western Europen maos for now as I will be going to Holland next week. I will download the North American version when I get back. I am Happy...for now. Now if I can only get a computer voice that could better pronunciate the streets around here I will really be a happy camper.

Good to hear:) . I just got off the phone myself and had them add both US/EU 7.20 to my account for download. I also had the 1-yr map guarantee.

I've lately heard several reports that people have been successful in getting TT to give both the NA and EU map updates. Have they perhaps seen the error of their ways? Has anyone heard if the policy of only allowing one map to be updated has been changed?

I just upgraded my maps to 715 two days ago. Today when I found out there was a new version I called to get the latest and they told me that I can only exercise the latest map guaranty once and they could not give me 720. I complained and the rep told me he understood my frustration but there was nothing he could do. So I asked to speak to a supervisor. He said I could talk to one but the supervisor would tell me the same thing. I said fine that I would still like to speak to the supervisor. When the supervisor came on she agreed to give me the latest version without giving me any trouble. I did ask for both the European and NA maps but in the end I only got the NA maps. I may call back and try to get the latest European maps but I'm very glad right now to have the latest version of the NA maps.

Any sign of changes from all the POI and street Mapshare updates. My last map update, had no changes that I had turned in and all the POIs had to be redone by using my old POI file to keep from having to reenter every one as a POI fix. Just wondering if new map version is worth the trouble.

I just upgraded my maps to 715 two days ago. Today when I found out there was a new version I called to get the latest and they told me that I can only exercise the latest map guaranty once and they could not give me 720. I complained and the rep told me he understood my frustration but there was nothing he could do. So I asked to speak to a supervisor. He said I could talk to one but the supervisor would tell me the same thing. I said fine that I would still like to speak to the supervisor. When the supervisor came on she agreed to give me the latest version without giving me any trouble. I did ask for both the European and NA maps but in the end I only got the NA maps. I may call back and try to get the latest European maps but I'm very glad right now to have the latest version of the NA maps.

Man, I can't believe this! I just downloaded new maps yesterday & got 7.15! I made the mistake of downgrading my internet service to a slower speed & it took 2-1/2 hours to download those maps & now I've got to do it again.........:mad:

You were certainly right to twist their arm & get your new maps & I'll do the same. The latest map guarantee in my paperwork indicates that you have 30 days from when you start using the device to get the latest maps. Since I just bought mine April 17th - I should be in there as well.........

Map updates

Make sure you have the EU map on your tomtom as active when you go to update... for example, I had to select my SD card (removable card) in order for the update for EU to show up. It didn't show up when I selected the main drive because I only have NA on the main drive.

THE EASY WAY TO UPDATE---don't bother calling on the phone, you will just be using a computer or fax in the end. I suggest logging into the TThome website, going to support section and "contacting" them this way. I received 715 for BOTH NA and EU for free, and I received 720 for NA and EU today for free as well... (never made a phone call). Scan or copy your "free updates" leaflet, and your receipt of purchase and attach the files to your support question. Just ask for them to please add the 720 updates for NA and EU to download in TTHOME. Mine were added within 3 hours of my sending in a support question today. They will just be automatically added to your updates in TThome. (make sure your still within a year, and your leaflet states a year of updates).

THE HARD WAY--call customer service and argue on the phone about what you are entitled to. Everyone I've seen on this forum that has called in, has had to do some sort of arguing.

Any sign of changes from all the POI and street Mapshare updates. My last map update, had no changes that I had turned in and all the POIs had to be redone by using my old POI file to keep from having to reenter every one as a POI fix. Just wondering if new map version is worth the trouble.

From the little information I know on that version of maps, it is the January 2008 version from TeleAtlas. I would not expect any MapShare significant (read map design and not street directions etc) changes from after December if that depending on their MapShare processing backlog. I must say I am surprised to see those maps offered now and expected them to arrive some time in early June. The last version, 7.15, appeared in early March and there are 4 updates per year meaning every 3 months or so.

My hopes for a significant change for NA are rather high for the next release as I expect the MapShare changes to be somewhat integrated but don't know any insider to reveal their backlog of MapShare significant updates. I would not be surprised to see some areas well covered and others barely having any changes.

For those who have purchased one of the new 30 devices - I have a 930 - there is also a new map version out - 805. I'm certainly within my 30 days so I hope they honor this as well.
John

Make sure you have the EU map on your tomtom as active when you go to update... for example, I had to select my SD card (removable card) in order for the update for EU to show up. It didn't show up when I selected the main drive because I only have NA on the main drive.

THE EASY WAY TO UPDATE---don't bother calling on the phone, you will just be using a computer or fax in the end. I suggest logging into the TThome website, going to support section and "contacting" them this way. I received 715 for BOTH NA and EU for free, and I received 720 for NA and EU today for free as well... (never made a phone call). Scan or copy your "free updates" leaflet, and your receipt of purchase and attach the files to your support question. Just ask for them to please add the 720 updates for NA and EU to download in TTHOME. Mine were added within 3 hours of my sending in a support question today. They will just be automatically added to your updates in TThome. (make sure your still within a year, and your leaflet states a year of updates).

THE HARD WAY--call customer service and argue on the phone about what you are entitled to. Everyone I've seen on this forum that has called in, has had to do some sort of arguing.

So, did you just have to point to your SD card where the European maps were or did you have to make the maps active on your tomotm? I'll give it a try tonight when I get home. I'm not sure I know how to change the active map. Can you tell me how to do that? thanks!

So, did you just have to point to your SD card where the European maps were or did you have to make the maps active on your tomotm? I'll give it a try tonight when I get home. I'm not sure I know how to change the active map. Can you tell me how to do that? thanks!

When I plug my tomtom in, the TThome program will autostart and regognize that my tomtom is connected. It then asks me to "select device", or storage area. I have the options of "internal memory" where my NA map is, or "memory card" where my EU map is. Only the applicable update for whatever card I selected would show up for download. Hope that helps!

Great advice! I found the contact us link at the bottom of a FAQ (if there's another one somewhere else, I missed it). I was able to create the support incident requesting that BOTH North America and Western and Central Europe be added to my account for download via TomTome Home, and attach the necessary documents, all without ever picking up the phone. Twelve minutes later I received an email stating that BOTH map updates had been added to my account.

I should add that the certificate I sent them a copy of is for a ONE YEAR map guarantee, which states "you are entitled to download all the new map releases for one year at no charge." If the wording on your guarantee is different, your results may vary.

Add me to the list of people who contacted TT support via the "ask a question" feature on the website. They came back and advised that both maps have been added to my account and will be available for download. I'll be downloading these when I get home tonight! :)

Is anyone else seeing two different versions of the North America map showing up in TomTom Home? I see one that is 1853.1 MB and one that is 1617.0 MB. Both are v7.20. I'll obviously download the larger one, but I'm just curious why there's two.

OK. I definitely do not have the European maps available to download. I decided to try the online route this time so I sent a request online to get the remaining maps. we'll see. I also just dug up my latest map guaranty and sure enough it guarantees me map updates for all of my maps for an entire year. I am so disgusted that they lied to me on the phone and that they try so hard not to honor their commitments. Hopefully it will all get worked out. I didn't send a copy of my guaranty since I hadn't found it yet so if I have any trouble that's what I'll do.

The only difference between the 715NA map and the new 800NA map is they incorporated all of our mapshares. There are no road changes. 805NA map does have many new roads along with corrections.

Is anyone else seeing two different versions of the North America map showing up in TomTom Home? I see one that is 1853.1 MB and one that is 1617.0 MB. Both are v7.20. I'll obviously download the larger one, but I'm just curious why there's two.

The smaller one is intended for the 720 model and nearly identical to the larger one intended for the 920 which has a more complete POI.DAT and CRPOI.DAT files. So, if you are searching for a POI, you are more likely to find it in the larger file. The 720 has 2GB of internal memory vs the 4GB of the 920 which explains the map's different sizes to fit each individual model's internal memory.

Where is the tools section?

Can you tell me where to find the "tools" section on the TT home page?
Thanks,
Dspry

The only difference between the 715NA map and the new 800NA map is they incorporated all of our mapshares. There are no road changes. 805NA map does have many new roads along with corrections.

So is the upgrade to 7.20 worth it?

Is it more complete and more accurate?

Ask a Question