New user. Flashing red "X"

Whenever I connect my 720 to my computer, after it asks me if I want to connect to the computer and I push Yes, I get a yellow screen with a flashing red X and a message "please wait". Is this normal?

Whenever I connect my 720 to my computer, after it asks me if I want to connect to the computer and I push Yes, I get a yellow screen with a flashing red X and a message "please wait". Is this normal?

It most certainly is NOT normal. The flashing X is symptomatic of the unit not being able to 'see' the operating system.

Has it always acted like this? Did you have it connected to the computer and not properly disconnect (using the usb connector symbol in our notification area -- if using a pc)?

Try a pin reset for 10 seconds and try again. See if that works.

If not, ou may have to try reinstalling the firmware.

Should I uninstall and reinstall TT Home 2? I have tried the reset and it hasn't worked. I just purchased it today. When I'm using TT Home, it recognizes the unit when I go to "Operate My Tom Tom", but the X is still flashing on the unit.

Should I uninstall and reinstall TT Home 2? I have tried the reset and it hasn't worked. I just purchased it today. When I'm using TT Home, it recognizes the unit when I go to "Operate My Tom Tom", but the X is still flashing on the unit.

If Operate My Go is working, the problem is not with the TTHome software, it's with the unit's firmware.

Even though things on the unit aren't perfect, nevertheless make a complete backup using Explorer, not TT Home. Once that is done, using TTHome, use the icon 'remove items from my Go' (it's on the second screen) and remove the application when it is listed. When that is done, move to the icon to update my Go and it should see the application is missing and offer to install it. Let it do so. When it's finished, remove the unit PROPERLY from the dock by selecting the menu option in TomTom Home's top memu to Disconnect device. When it says it's safe, WAIT until you actually see the progress bar complete the move from left to right on our unit's screen. See if it's operating properly. If so, connect again. Back up the entire unit again.

o.k. Another stupid question, how do I make a backup of the unit using windows explorer? BTW, thank you for your time and patience.:) :cool:

I think I got it. I just copied all the files and then pasted them to a new folder on my HD. Sound right? (crosses fingers)

Which application do I remove?

o.k. Another stupid question, how do I make a backup of the unit using windows explorer? BTW, thank you for your time and patience.:) :cool:

With the unit connected to the pc, use Explorer (which should see the unit as a removable drive, just like Explorer sees your C: drive).

Highlight all files & folders on the unit (it may be called E: or F: or G:, depending) and copy everything to a folder created on your hard drive. Make sure you have Folder options in Control Panel-->Folder Options-->View set to show hidden files and to show extensions for known file types before the highlighting and copying process.

Once the complete copy is done, then proceed with the steps I detailed earlier about using Home to remove the application, etc.

Well, I have gone through the process 3 times with no change. Still getting the X. Now I don't know what to do.

Ask a Question