New user - Couple of questions

TomTom Model(s)
go 630
Hello! New user here, I'll do my best to search and seek answers before posting, but if I miss a few, please have patience ;-)

I am using a tomtom 630 and a magellan 4350 side by side, trying to decide which one I would like to keep. So far, the TT wins hands down except a couple of minor things that can probably be solved by more educated folks like you all. I've dug and dug, can't find it, prob because it doesn't exist, but here goes

1. The magellan has an option to show the level of cross street naming from none to a lot where the TT doesn't appear to have any. I like seeing the cross street names to learn the area, see the roads etc. The TT names a few, but very few and sometimes major intersections are blank and an obscure sidestreet is named. Can I turn this up on the TT to see more? Third party app?

2. I added a 7-11 POI file and bmp icon and my favorite 7-11 is not shown. I tried to do a map edit and add the POI on the TT, but it seems to only allow me to add "default" POI's and not custom. Is there another way to fix these?

3. Is it worth getting the map updates at $12 per quarter? I see some major hwy ramps revised over the last 12 to 16 months are shown right in the magellan, but not in the TT. Are they good about addressing these updates? I do have the latest major map plus all mapshares turned on.

4. I like the bluetooth support and actually need it being on lots of bases. The TT is great at it, the magellan crackles and breaks up. I also like doing routes, but can I easily turn off the reading out of routes while maintaining the bluetooth. All I can see is all or none. ( I added volume control to quick menu)

one more.....

5. In my neighborhood , the vehicle icon follows the road around abig curve then it flashes and moves about a hundred yards off into the woods and the unit goes crazy trying to "reroute" me back to my road. I sent in a map update thingy and tried to explain, will these eventually work?

Thanks!!

1. The magellan has an option to show the level of cross street naming from none to a lot where the TT doesn't appear to have any. I like seeing the cross street names to learn the area, see the roads etc. The TT names a few, but very few and sometimes major intersections are blank and an obscure sidestreet is named. Can I turn this up on the TT to see more?

TT has a setting to show next screen name but that's about it. Naming of streets is map dependant.

2. I added a 7-11 POI file and bmp icon and my favorite 7-11 is not shown. I tried to do a map edit and add the POI on the TT, but it seems to only allow me to add "default" POI's and not custom. Is there another way to fix these?

Actually, it's the other way around. You can add custom ov2 files (various sources on the net) to your map folder and add or alter one of the points in a custom category. So, lets say your category is called 7-11. You can Manage pois-->Add and select the category 7-11 from the custom categories you've dl and installed.

3. Is it worth getting the map updates at $12 per quarter? I see some major hwy ramps revised over the last 12 to 16 months are shown right in the magellan, but not in the TT. Are they good about addressing these updates? I do have the latest major map plus all mapshares turned on.

Certainly price wise it is but some changes in TT's maps (provided by TeleAtlas) get implemented whereas maps provided by NavTeq lag behind whereas in other areas the situation is reversed. If enough people report new roads through mapshare (something other brands don't have .... yet), it probably gets TT's notice faster.

5. In my neighborhood , the vehicle icon follows the road around abig curve then it flashes and moves about a hundred yards off into the woods and the unit goes crazy trying to "reroute" me back to my road. I sent in a map update thingy and tried to explain, will these eventually work?

Ususally a reflection of a section where the mapping data is not accurate and where the map says you are in one place and the gps signal says you are in another. These are the kinds of things often corrected in a map update (but not always...)

It may also be an indication of a wonky gps data file where incorrect data is being interpreted. A new gpsquickfix sometimes remedies that.

Ask a Question