New user - Cant update anything

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Hi everyone,

Maybe you guys can help me. I got a TT720 last week as a gift. I have installed the TT Home version 2.6.1.1549. I live near Dallas, TX and the maps that came with the unit are not accurate at all. We have lots of road changes but some are over 1 year old. Google Maps is right. Map version on the 720 is 710.1584.

So I just need to update to the latest map, right? I have tried numerous times to either buy the map subscription, buy individual maps, activate traffic, fuel, etc. I always get this error:

ERROR: 236/#https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment: Error from server: %2AIT payment server returned an unexpected error%2A
%2AIT payment server returned an unexpected error%2A
Server function called: initiatePayment
Error code: 236
URL: https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment
Severity: 1105

Other than that, I have no problems connecting to TT Home and updating the device with the free updates (like QuickGPS or Map share). I have added a few custom screens and car models. I just can't buy anything. Tried calling tech support (I hung up after 20 min on hold). I have tried buying at least 30 times this week at all different times. Have also emailed the above error to TT but no response yet.

Any suggestions?

First of all, I would copy everything on your unit to the computer. Use Explorer, not Home, and ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Next, I would uninstall version 2.6 of Home and, in the link here, (bottom right) I would dl and install Home 2.5

Then I would connect my unit to Home and you should be offered the latest application. It is 8.302. Accept it, dl and install it.

Then, I would try Home's Latest Map Guarantee. You ARE eligible (within 30 days of first use) for the latest map which is NA 8.25.

If you are offered it, dl and install it. Then make another complete Explorer backup.

If you are not offered it, then I'm afraid that you do have to contact Support at 866-486-6866.

...sorry, a litle long-winded and redundant here...

rdeberry: don't worry - having a new 720 and being eligible for the 825 map - and not having it offerred to you - seems to happen to quite a few people - me included. You don't have to purchase it - you can get the new map free within the first 30 days of using your new TomTom.

Speaking from recent experience, make sure you have tried all of TomTom online support solutions for map updates prior to calling them, otherwise they may offer these solutions to you first, instead of what you are really after - the new map in your account. If you have the answers to their questions up front, they will make the latest map available for download in your account shortly after your phone call ends. (They are open on Saturday too. If you can, call them right when they open any day and you shouldn't have to hold long).

TomTom Support Solution for the Latest Map: HERE

Regarding your missing roads: one thing that I've found is that the 720 comes from the factory with the Auto Map Zoom feature enabled, and that quite often, it zooms out and roads disappear. I was startled when I first used mine and found that the road for the local gigantic mall didn't show on the map when I crossed over it on my way to work. A quick push of the "+" button and there it was - along with many others that don't show with Auto Zoom On. I now drive with Auto Zoom Off. If you haven't tried this, please do, as you may be surprised at the results.

Also, once I figured out the Auto Zoom and installed the 825 map, I was AMAZED to see what roads are actually in the map. Mine shows little dirt roads and all sorts of "roads" that I never knew existed. So far, the only thing I've found missing here in Central North Carolina is a single road and a highway entrance that have been there less than 5 months each. Impressive indeed, and I've submitted MapShare changes for both.

Granted, your experience may be different, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the "it doesn't show this road" comments on here could be solved by turning off Auto Zoom and finding a proper zoom level that shows sufficient detail pertinent to the immediate area .

Let us know how you make out!

Good luck,
Jim

Last edited:
Jim,

Thanks for the tip on the AutoZoom. I really like that feature. The 720 knows there is a road there as it is showing me that I am on it. The name is "Unkown road". The actual name is 121N Tollway and it is a major link that recently opened about 5 months ago. However, it will not route me on to that road, opting for another toll road about 1 mile away and at least a 10 min longer driver. Weird thing is, that once I am on the road, the 720 knows exactly how far it is to the correct exit and even shows the on/off ramps that were not there a few months ago. The second problem I noticed was coming out of my work it was directing me through a brick wall of the tollway. Correct way is to turn right on the one way frontage road and do a Uturn about 200 yds away. I have backed up the device and uninstalled 2.6, trying to download the 2.5 version and give it another go. While I was in 2.6 though, I did use the Latest Map Guarantee menu, and it told me a new map was available. A $47 charge and another $48 charge (total was $95). I get the same selections when I click on the icon in upper right that is telling me the map is out of date. I have no idea how long the unit has been sitting around but I was definitely the first to use it last week.

If you are within the first 30 days of purchase and have a receipt, call tomtom support and fax them your receipt. They will give you map 825 for free (saving you $47).

If you want the subscription, you'll still have to pay the $48 for the year.

Google is about 2 months ahead of the tomtom map. If your corrections show up in google, there' a 90% chance they'll be in map 825, and 100% chance they'll be in the May tomtom map.

I don't have a receipt, I got my 720 as a gift at a trade show in Las Vegas :)

Ok here is what I have done:

1) Backed up to PC just in case
2) Uninstalled 2.6
3) Installed from the CD that came in box (1.6 I think). Ignored the chance to upgrade to latest. Software was way way different. Could not purchase anything from there either, same message. Uninstalled it.
4) Found a 2.5 version, went through the motions, same result.
5) Found a 2.4 version, same.
6) Went back to 2.6.1.1549 . Noticed that the about box had a reference to Mozilla. I have FF 3.1 installed. Set all of my security settings to the lowest they could go, turned off firewall. Same result. Also update java runtime, same result.
7) Went for a brute force attack, I just kept clicking checkout, getting the error, reporting the incident. Did it 30 times in a row.

Maps that are on the device as reported by TT Home is 710.1584.
App on the device is 8.302.

latest map update guarantee indicates no update available. But Icon in upper right says maps are out of date. Click on it and you get a special offer (50% discount) and 1 year @ $47.80. It says the map on the device is 5 quarters old and wants to update the map to 825.2157. I get the same options if I click the big banner at bottom of main screen.

TT Home has my email in upper right corner, indicating I am logged in. When I go to TT website and login, I do not see anything under my Devices. Is that normal? Shouldnt the web site know the device? I remember it asking at one point to associate the login with the connected device which I did. I have never seen that message again, even though I have uninstalled/resinstalled different versions. I suspect the uninstall does a poor job and leave registry entries around.

I really want this to work (I was just about to buy a GPS when I got this one for free). If I would have paid for it, I would have already returned it.

Hmmm. Any chance you could install HOME on another computer and see what happens?

Nevertheless, calling TomTom first thing Monday morning is probably your best bet. If you are uber-nice and explain the situation, maybe they'll give you the 825 map without your receipt...if not, you have a $250 GPS for half the price of a new map. Not a bad deal :) The 825 with the IQ2 routes is really worth it over the 710 map...

Oh, my TomTom account shows My Device correctly on the webpage.

Ok installed TT Home on another PC (Vista64 laptop). Same results. Took the laptop to work, and tried there (different router as that what TT support thinks), same result.
tech support put Maps 810 in my account and I was able to download and install those with no problems. They are better but still missing roads. Noticed that the over speed limit works on 810, did not work on 710. I still cannot buy anything. The maps update service is now saying my 810 version is 2 quarters old and offering an upgrade for 75% off.
Has anyone been able to update a purchased product in the last two weeks?

I never get to a point where I can enter my credit card info. BTW the device is listed and tech support knew my serial number. I was on the phone with them about 1 hour yesterday morning.

825 is the latest map, and has excellent coverage (in my area). I updated my 720 with no problems after submitting my receipt to TT Customer Service.

Also, how close is your workplace to your home? Is the ISP you used at work the same, or different as your home? Can you successfully initiate the purchase process directly from the TT website (instead of using HOME)? Also, that message you get is from their payment server...see the "AIT"? That's Advanced Internet Technologies, a web hosting company. They have great customer service, and may be able to offer help by reporting the error codes present in your first post. A pain in the arse, I know, but I'm just trying to help :)

/Thinking out loud...

Ask a Question