New U.S. Tom Tom owner

Good morning. I received a TT One IQ Routes as a gift a few weeks ago and have been testing it on trips where I already know the best way. After a few such trips, I have concluded it would direct me to an unfamiliar destination, but not always the most efficient way. It's probably lack of knowledge on my part and I'm learning about Itineraries, Points of Interest, etc. I do have a few questions and will post them in the appropriate forum.

Welcome to TTF.

Please make sure you make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. It's your 'safety net'.

(If on a Mac, use Finder instead of Explorer)

Thanks for the tip. I have IE, but use Google Chrome as my primary browser. I assume backing up to Chrome would work. Is this correct?

Help!

I must have done something wrong when I backed up my TT to my hard drive yesterday. I followed the step by step directions carefully (I thought) and backed the TT up to Local Disk C as instructed. Today, when I started my computer, I discovered my C Drive is now named Tom Tom (C). I tried to rename it back to Local Disk C, but it won't let me. Also, the various files on the TT (maps, etc.) are stored on the hard drive individually rather than in a folder.

Any thoughts about what might have happened and what I can to to reverse it?

When you look at the contents of your C: drive using Explorer, are you seeing a bunch of folders not related to TomTom (such as one called Windows) and also a folder called TomTom? And, if so, are you seeing no folders within the TomTom folder but just a bunch of individual files?

If so.........then just delete the contents of the TomTom folder but not the folder itself. DON'T delete any other folders on your C: drive.

Now use Explorer to look at the contents of the unit. Do a Ctl-A (Control-A) to highlight all the files and folders and then go to the folder on the C: drive called TomTom and, while that is highlighted do a Ctl_V for paste.

Once that is all done you should see a bunch of folders and loose files in the folder matching what you see on the unit.

When the pasting (Ctl-V) is done, then highlight the TomTom folder on the c: drive again and right click, rename, and rename it something like 'TomTom Backup june24' (no quotes)

Thanks so much for your help with this. I rarely ever have trouble installing, running and troubleshooting software. TT is driving me nuts!

When I use Explorer to view the contents of my C drive (which is now labelled TomTom C:, I see familiar folders unrelated to TT. I also see three folders which have TT in the name. They are: TT Back up 6-23-10 (which is empty so my back up yesterday did not succeed), TT Home Install App and TT cfg. There is also a file labelled Install TT Home Exe. Other folders I believe are TT related are named Help Me, Spotlight-V100, Loquend TTS, Maps, Licenses and others. There are also numerous individual TT files. TT Home is on the C drive in the Programs folder.

My inclination is to delete everything I can identify as TT related and start over. Some of the file names are pretty obscure, but I can use Properties to tell me when they were last accessed. My primary concern with that is the fact that my C drive is now named TT C:. I sure don't want to wind up erasing my C drive. Also, I'm not sure how to recover the files and folders that would be deleted.

Thanks again for your help and look forward to getting out of this mess. The Tom Tom itself is great! I've used it several times and am trusting it more each time.

The following is the structure of my 720 unit. The folders are in red and the loose files in the root are below that. My specific North_America map folder doesn'tt appear as I keep it on a sdhc card.

It may give you an indication what folders do belong on your unit ......

art
ASR
audiobooks
bin
contacts
demo
ephem
gns
helpme
home images
itn
licences
logging
LoquendoTTS
maps
microbrowser
mp3
phone_database
photos
program
raster
rdstmc
schemes
screen
script
SIMCARD
sounds
statdata
TomTom HOME Install.app
TomTom-Cfg
voices
zip

-----------

antitheftw.bmp
antitheftw.bmp.bak
autorun.inf
bootloaderversion.txt
clmdata
connect2internet.db
connect2internet.db.encode
connect2internet.so
connect2internetdb.ver
CurrentLocation.dat
CurrentMap.dat
data.chk
data_im1.chk
data_lim.chk
data_lis.chk
data_ra.chk
data_sp.chk
data_ts.chk
fm2010parameters
fmsignal
install.bif
InstallTomTomHOME.exe
internal.dat
libaec_55.so
libaec_60.so
lowbatteryw.bmp
mctx.dat
pluserror.txt
reflush.log
settings.dat
signpost_li.txt
splashw.bmp
splashw.bmp.bak
system
tomtom.ico
ttdesk.ver
ttgo.bif
TTPnPD.log
ttsystem
UserPatch.dat

Help!

I must have done something wrong when I backed up my TT to my hard drive yesterday. I followed the step by step directions carefully (I thought) and backed the TT up to Local Disk C as instructed. Today, when I started my computer, I discovered my C Drive is now named Tom Tom (C). I tried to rename it back to Local Disk C, but it won't let me. Also, the various files on the TT (maps, etc.) are stored on the hard drive individually rather than in a folder.

Any thoughts about what might have happened and what I can to to reverse it?

The autorun.inf file and the tomtom.ico files are what set the icon. You must have copied them to the root of your C drive.

either delete them on the c drive, or move them to a subfolder of your c drive, and the problem should go away.

Ask a Question