New TT1 - Need tips to avoid frustration

I couldn't pass up a STAPLES deal on a TT1 today. $299.99 - $50 - $20 = $229.99 with free delivery. The additional $20 was with a coupon code that is valid when you buy $200+. I should get it the first of next week.

I'm not a nav-noob, but I don't have any experience with TomTom.

Are there any significant few things I should do as soon as the device arrives?

Map updates, backups, testing, physical inspection....what else? Note, I'm new to this forum, so please excuse me if I've overlooked some obvious information resource here.

Oh! One other question... I've read some reviews that dis the stock suction-cup mount that comes on the current model-1. What's your opinion?

I couldn't pass up a STAPLES deal on a TT1 today. $299.99 - $50 - $20 = $229.99 with free delivery. The additional $20 was with a coupon code that is valid when you buy $200+. I should get it the first of next week.

I'm not a nav-noob, but I don't have any experience with TomTom.

Are there any significant few things I should do as soon as the device arrives?

Map updates, backups, testing, physical inspection....what else? Note, I'm new to this forum, so please excuse me if I've overlooked some obvious information resource here.

Oh! One other question... I've read some reviews that dis the stock suction-cup mount that comes on the current model-1. What's your opinion?

That's a great deal! I paid $299 :(

Anyway, for tips on the initial setup etc: https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=2046

I like the stock suction cup. It sticks to my windshield just fine, even in hot weather, on a dirty windshield etc. Just give it a good lick :D and press it on firmly...

My mount stays on fine if both are clean when attached and press firmly in center.

Make backup.....then have fun playing........:) :)

That's a great deal! I paid $299 :(

Anyway, for tips on the initial setup etc: https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=2046

I like the stock suction cup. It sticks to my windshield just fine, even in hot weather, on a dirty windshield etc. Just give it a good lick and press it on firmly... like the stock suction cup. It sticks to my windshield just fine, even in hot weather, on a dirty windshield etc. Just give it a good lick :D and press it on firmly...

KKop,

I think that great little tutorial by Guttboy provides enough information to efficiently get the job done...without incident. Good stuff!

How about Summer heat issues?

:rolleyes: How hot do you suppose the TT1 is likely to get when mounted on the windshield? Typically, heat and electronics don't play well.

An external antenna might be a solution. When on hot-weather trips, the TT1 could sit somewhere out of direct line of the sun. I wonder how much they are going for on eBay?

For the heat issue, the danger is when the car is empty with the windows up. Frankly, you should never leave your unit in an empty car, unless you really want it stolen. So take your unit with you and you avoid 2 problems!

Ask a Question