NEW TT Recommendation Needed.

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One V2
I maybe in the market for a New TT if my One 2nd Edition plays up again like it did this morning, it went haywire flashing up different screens all over the place when trying to input a destination.

Can anybody recommend a good reliable model that will work with TT Home - Windows 7 64bit?

What features of your current model have been the most important to you, and what features could you live without? It's important to know how you use your TomTom in order to suggest which of the recent models might work best for you. There are a lot of differences.

Also, what kind of budget are you working with?

What features of your current model have been the most important to you, and what features could you live without?

All of the features are useful even if you don't use them everyday, they are nice to have if you ever do need them.

It's important to know how you use your TomTom in order to suggest which of the recent models might work best for you. There are a lot of differences.

We only use our TT when we travel to the City (Brisbane Aust.) and need to locate a place in the outer suburbs etc.or if we do go overseas on holidays.

Voice command would be a very handy feature indeed on a new one, especially when in traffic and driving by myself.

Also, what kind of budget are you working with?

Between $200 - $300 AUD I have been looking at and thinking about a GO730 but don't know how the model is though?

it went haywire flashing up different screens all over the place when trying to input a destination.

Sounds like the old "grit under screen surround" problem again.

See this topic for a possible quick fix.

It can also happen if you have a screen protector film attached.

Between $200 - $300 AUD I have been looking at and thinking about a GO730 but don't know how the model is though?
That's a really nice little rig if you can still find one. Although technically obsolete from TomTom's point of view, it actually outperforms a few of the more recent models when it comes to features. Are you still able to get those new there? If you're looking at a refurb unit (and be sure it's a TomTom refurb, not Joe's Garage refurb) it should run you good bit less than that. Actually, a brand new one should be less, but I'm wondering whether people have started to realize that the 730/930 models were the last to support some of the features that people liked and are raising prices on the few that are left.

That's a really nice little rig if you can still find one. Although technically obsolete from TomTom's point of view, it actually outperforms a few of the more recent models when it comes to features. Are you still able to get those new there? If you're looking at a refurb unit (and be sure it's a TomTom refurb, not Joe's Garage refurb) it should run you good bit less than that. Actually, a brand new one should be less, but I'm wondering whether people have started to realize that the 730/930 models were the last to support some of the features that people liked and are raising prices on the few that are left.

I can get one of these from an Australian eBay Seller:

TOMTOM 730 GO GPS Latest Map IQ ALG 12 MONTHS WARRANTY
Item condition: Manufacturer refurbished
Time left: 2d 02h (19 May, 201117:26:27 AEST)
Quantity: 2 available
Price: AU $199.95
Buy It Now

and I can also get one of these from the USA:

TomTom GO 730 4.3-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator
Free Fast Shipping (Cont'l USA). Authorized Dealer.
Item condition: New
Quantity: 7 available
Price: US $155.00
Buy It Now

Shippping: $46.40 USPS Priority Mail International | See all shipping details
Delivery: Estimated delivery time varies for items shipped from an international location. help icon for Estimated delivery date - opens a layer
Returns: 30 day money back, buyer pays return shipping | Read return policy details

Last edited:
Normally, I'd be inclined to go with a new one if for no other reason than the battery should be in a little better shape than one that's been cycled. You'll find that even 'factory refurbished' units often don't see a battery swap. However, I wouldn't go with a 730 from the U.S. The chances that one of those will be coming with Aus/NZ maps are nil, and you'd wind up having to buy those on top of the price of the unit. To avoid that, you need to pick a unit up in your own market, so the game swings to the locally procured refurb for a 730. I'd watch the auction, and see if you can't get that unit for AUS$150 or so.

Given that you had a ONE 2nd before, you might also be looking at a 740. The ONE 2nd never had the aux audio out or the FM transmitter that you'll be getting on a 730, and the 740 has the distinct advantage of having current firmware. What kind of a deal can you get locally on a 740? I'm sorry that I'm so unfamiliar with which models TT has been marketing in your region and what the prices look like.

Ask a Question