New TomToms

That's a separate device just for people who only go back and forth to work. It does look pretty strange on the dash. It learns your commute.

So is this the realisation of TomTom's final vision? A device with NO buttons or user-input at all?

We've seen a big reduction in user-options and flexibility over the years, this could be the ultimate "dumbing down"!

I assume it's a slight misstatement to say "reuse routes .. previously created" since I've yet to see a unit that actually allows manual routing, but if they even provide the waypoint method similar to the old itinerary, I'd be a lot happier than I am now with Nav3. It will still be a long time before anyone can talk me out of my old GO 740!

If you look at this video about 15 seconds in it shows a search that you can then look at the results on a map - no more guessing which result is actually nearer.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg5hOgk9w0U[/ame]

This will mean a major overhaul for iOS and Android programs.

The 600 or is it the 6000? Radio question is a good one.

Will they continue w/AT&T or move to T-Mobile which is now in the machine2machine business. They could just move to UMTS or one of the HSPDA flavors. Those will be around for some time.

Prices of the New TomTom Line up

Hi Guys,

Do you have any information regarding the new Tomtom Go Navigator? I was looking in internet and so many articles but nothing related with prices.

What do you think about it?

If you look at this video about 15 seconds in it shows a search that you can then look at the results on a map - no more guessing which result is actually nearer.

Just like we always could with POIs?

Operative word "could"! :) (until v9.whatever it was)

But you can still see ALL of your POI icons on a the map view assuming you zoom in far enough.

No, but you could just zoom out with POI selected and scroll around to your hearts content. Then again, we can still do that, so I'm unclear, too ...

By making that POI show on the map but after a search this allows you to see the search results on a map. This includes their live results as opposed to a static POI file.

Are the two things the same? I don't think so but I have been wrong before. I know right now when I do a search on the Android app I can't see the results on a map. I don't remember being able to do that on the PNDs either.

No, but you could just zoom out with POI selected and scroll around to your hearts content. Then again, we can still do that, so I'm unclear, too ...

A number of TTF regulars were at the launch event (offthegrid, didn't know you went).

They all "made a vacation" out of the trip, but should be returning early next week. I'm sure they'll have lots to say about the new lineup when they return.

I wish I was there but the last 20+ minutes of the launch video were all about the new features.

About 30 minutes in they start talking about the new GO line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t7M18OUzSRY

A number of TTF regulars were at the launch event (offthegrid, didn't know you went).

They all "made a vacation" out of the trip, but should be returning early next week. I'm sure they'll have lots to say about the new lineup when they return.

Last edited:
tomtom_go_satnav.jpg

The blue highlight there in the pic below is for line by line search results

tomtom_go_satnav_search.jpg

and pushing the right side will bring up a map view of results

TomTomLaunchesNewProducts-YouTube-1.png

The only device attendees couldn't play with was the ball thingy device. None available. I'm still not sure of the real value of such a thing, to tell you the truth.

The Nav 4 model? Well, it is a new design, that's for sure. You no longer need to state a city first to find a street. You just start typing and it'll find ALL locations with that alpha string if it is on the map. That's what appears in the left column. If you're looking for a poi, all listings appear on the right side.

I didn't really play with the device much since it only has the Europe map installed. But there is an implication here .... no limitation of poi search.

Also, was assured (for what it's worth), the models will hit North America 'soon'. Meaning less than an month.

Less than a month to North America? Bet your bottom dollar (Canadian or US) that a schedule like that won't include the 6000. We'd have heard about a test of the internal modem here. The BT should work pretty much the same way on either continent, but let's hope that they've spent enough time with commonly used phones here to assure we aren't going to run into any connectivity issues. It's not like Bluetooth has worked seamlessly in other respects.

Well, I must have missed the whole deal about tethering then. Our telecos don't allow tethering plans.

Coming soon meaning 1 month would be great!

The monthly data use for this is minimal but the tethering & connection problems issue is why Garmin created a blue tooth connection app that was carrier approved instead of putting the burden on the end user and possibly creating billing issues also. Of course some report issues with the Garmin app also.

Another news source that was at the launch states that the connection will be GPRS only. I hope canderson might have heard differently for the US because that spinning connecting disc on the screen is one depressing thought.

AT&T is shutting down GPRS. AT&T 2G will be shut down completely by January 2017 but many areas are already being shutdown or being stripped of all but a minimum of capacity.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/att-urges-customers-to-upgrade-from-2g-networks-2012-03-01

"Your current, older-model 2G phone might not be able to make or receive calls and you may experience degradation of your wireless service in certain areas," AT&T cautioned in the letter. An AT&T spokesman, Mark Siegel, said the carrier hoped to use some of the 2G spectrum for new technologies.

http://www.telecompetitor.com/2g-spectrum-re-farming-poised-upheave-m2m/

The GPS watch was just announced on the FCC, but there is still no mention of the new GO models. Unless Tomtom has gotten really Apple-like with the FCC (eg: figured out how to hide new products better), I doubt we'll get a new generation GO device anytime soon.

Regarding connectivity, Tomtom has revised its modem software on app 12.055, and I have to admit the connection works very very well despite being 2G. I've driven through and around NYC and it only dropped once in Queens. So all the 2G modem complaints seem to have been formerly-bad Tomtom modem software. Still I agree that a new device sold in 2013 should be designed to have its modem not die when 2G is shut off in 2017.

Ask a Question