New to the forum, first TomTom GPS

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540 TM
Hello,
I just got my first TomTom (XXL 540 with lifetime Traffic and Maps) after days of research and browsing this and other GPS forums.

Hopefully i'll have a good experience with this one after switching over from Garmin.

I'm not having a good start, though! Already TomTom Home says that i can't install the required update because i'm short of disk space. What's the point of having updates if my device can't even install them right out of the box?

Next, i try to enter my Activation Code, and i get the error: "The activation code you entered is valid but the associated product doesn''t work with your device type or with the version of the application you have installed on it. Please install the latest version of the device application by clicking ''Update my device'' in the main menu. Then enter your activation code again."

Oh, you mean the update that doesn't fit on my device? Gee, thanks!

Then, i go to backup the device, and i get another error (failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getIntPref]), so i guess backups aren't allowed either!

I hope there is a solution, or else it seems my stay on this forum will be quite short lived as i head directly to the exchange line!

Welcome to TTF.

Wow! Sorry for all the grief.........

1. For backups, we do NOT suggest using Home anyway. Instead we suggest Explorer. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

2. For trying to activate the code, while in theory you can do it using Home 2, instead call CS at 866-486-6866 and have them activate the lifetime M code at their end.

3. Please do the following (AFTER having made the Explorer backup). Look at the contents of the specific map folder on the unit (US_Canada_Mexico, maybe) and see if there are a bunch of cspeechXX.dat files [where XX is a code for each state]. If there, delete them all. They shouldn't be there for that model.

Now, I want you to uninstall Home completely. Use Revo Uninstaller (freeware version) found here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html and completely remove Home 2. Then get a fresh copy at tomtom.com/home and reinstall.

4. Connect your unit and see if you achieve success in 'Update my Unit'.

Alright, thanks. I'll follow your steps above.

There are many large .dat files in the maps folder, none of which are named as you indicated.

I was already on the phone with CS while backing up the contents of the device (with Explorer). They gave me a reference number to call back when my device is backed up, and they also activated my subscription over the phone.

The CS rep did tell me that i can NOT downgrade my maps, which i thought would be the easiest way to get some disk space (eg, exchange my USA/CAN/MEX maps for a USA only or USA/CAN map, as i don't forsee myself ever driving a vehicle in Mexico).

Yeah, while not unknown, it is very rare to get a map downgrade for sure......

If you do connect to Home successfully, you can free up space by removing voices you won't need. Normally, you'd want the computer voice (Samantha) and maybe just one recorded voice. You can remove recorded voices by going to Manage my Device (2nd screen, purple folder) -->Items on unit-->Voices. Then select to remove most of them.

Well, when i got back to the customer service, they had me delete the application and map from my device. when i re-downloaded, the new map was a little more than 200 MB smaller than the one i deleted, so now i have 237 MB free after updating...go figure!

After i updated, i was getting a weird scrambled screen that looked like a language choice. Turning off the device and turning it back on solved that problem, though.

I made the original backup. I haven't backed it up again with the new map and newest software yet.

Got it...thanks!

I've got to get to work right now, but i'll do it when i get back. For now i'm putting some velcro strips onto the device (after putting the serial number in a text file, since i'll never see it again!). I heard bad things about the existing mount, and i've always used velcro anyway, so it's not a big task.

Glad it seems you have things sorted. You will enjoy the device, I think. That model is my favourite and I have lots to play with .........

Glad it seems you have things sorted. You will enjoy the device, I think. That model is my favourite and I have lots to play with .........
I agree with your favorable opinion of the XXL540TM. I prefer it to my GO LIVE 1535 except for the LIVE Services provided with the 1535 and not available with the XXL540. Like the OP, I did a lot of research among different makes and models before buying my XXL540TM and - in my opinion - the OP made an excellent choice.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

I'm liking the device so far. I had no issues with pronounciation like some people have said, though it pronounces "Walnut" a bit strangely (the a is pronounced like the "u" in "mum," or in fact like the other vowel in walnut!). My old Garmin pronounced the a like the "a" in "lather," though, so it's actually an improvement!

Junction views were frequent and spot on, including one that is described very nicely that my old Garmin had trouble with. The road is US 24, three lanes, and all three lanes become exits (as this road ends here). There is a right lane exit, followed about 100 feet later by a fork splitting the left and right lanes, with the left lane going to I-287 south and the right lane going to I-287 north.

My old Garmin would say "keep left on US 24," to get past the right lane exit. So the first time i took it, i got in the left lane. After that, the Garmin suddenly said, "In 50 feet, keep right!" I had to fly across not only a solid white line, but also all the "crisscross" or "filler" white lines in between (i don't know how else to describe them...all i know is i had to cut someone off at an exit and nearly crash into a divider to get on the correct road!).

The TomTom just showed a graphic of the junction, and all was well. It would have been nice to have all three lanes in the view (the right lane exit was missing, i assume because it was 100 feet in front of the fork), but man, i wish i had the TomTom back when i first took this route!

A couple other nice touches: the TomTom had speed data for the next road (I-287), which my Garmin did not. With no speed limit signs in the 2/5 mile stretch that i'm on that road, i always had to guess at the speed limit, which i now know is 55.

In addition, the TomTom had the unnamed side roads leading into my work's employee parking lot! When i came to be interviewed for this job, i programmed the location using the address, which according to both Google Maps and Garmin are "inside" the block, as opposed to on the road. Unfortunately, my old Garmin interpreted this by telling me to use the residential road on the other side of the parking lot, and then "Drive off the road!" I guess i was meant to park in someone's backyard! It wasn't even the first time Garmin tried to make me do it, either! I was pleasantly surprised to see the actual roads on the TomTom map that lead into the parking lot, which i assumed were just part of the complex.

Overall, i think i will enjoy my new GPS. Now i just have to convince the old one to accept a charge long enough so i can copy all my favorites (erm...i mean Points of Interest!) to the TomTom!

As you use the device more, you will find mapping issues with the TomTom as well. No device is perfect.

Well, at least i'm allowed to update this one! Never bothered with the Garmin because of the cost. I hope for their sake that they fixed that one way street in Allentown, PA that it thinks is a two way road! I nearly listened to the device that night too!

Thanks! As soon as i ordered the TomTom, i immediately downloaded and read the manual so i would have an idea on how to use the device before it came. My only usability issue at this point is that i wish there was a way to move my custom POIs closer to the front of the menus. Favorites are two clicks away (like Garmin), except that with only 48 slots, there is no realistic way i can use them; i can save 48 soccer fields in a single season as a referee! I'd rather have my custom POIs in that spot so that they can be two clicks away instead.

On the bright side, maybe in a couple years when i've made the rounds again, i can publish the ultimate NJ soccer fields POI, like the Wisconsin one i found on TT Home!

Make a custom poi category called _Soccer fields. Add each (current soccer favourite) as a point in the category. You can have an unlimited number.

Notice the _ at the front of the 'S' in 'Soccer'? That will cause that poi category to 'float' to the top of the list of poi categories.

Now then, Navigate to-->poi-->(near me)-->select 'Soccer' and select an item in the category.

Anyway, an option for you.............

Great idea...didn't think to add the _, though i already have two custom POI categories.

The only annoying thing about that is now i can't capitalize the first letter of the category. Guess i can't win em all...

By the way, i read in reviews that you have to know the first letters of the POI name to search for it (in other words, if it's called "Grand Canyon," you have to search G-R-A; searching C-A-N won't bring it up. This turned out to be incorrect...i was able to search the middle of a word in a POI and it came up just fine. Great for those soccer fields where i forget the name of the field but i remember what town/club it is.

The road is US 24, three lanes, and all three lanes become exits (as this road ends here). There is a right lane exit, followed about 100 feet later by a fork splitting the left and right lanes, with the left lane going to I-287 south and the right lane going to I-287 north.

My old Garmin would say "keep left on US 24," to get past the right lane exit. So the first time i took it, i got in the left lane. After that, the Garmin suddenly said, "In 50 feet, keep right!" I had to fly across not only a solid white line, but also all the "crisscross" or "filler" white lines in between (i don't know how else to describe them...all i know is i had to cut someone off at an exit and nearly crash into a divider to get on the correct road!).

The TomTom just showed a graphic of the junction, and all was well. It would have been nice to have all three lanes in the view (the right lane exit was missing, i assume because it was 100 feet in front of the fork), but man, i wish i had the TomTom back when i first took this route!

I feel the need to come back and mention that my device actually now shows all three lanes in this Junction View! Maybe someone read my post and made the adjustment!

I don't use my GPS to drive to work, so i only discovered this yesterday when i was driving somewhere else. Good job TomTom!

Ask a Question