New to a 920T from Magellan RM800, I have questions

TomTom Model(s)
GO920T
I recently changed to the TT920T for many reasons other than mapping. My Magellan was excellent.

Changed for the voice input (missed that from my old Avstar unit)
Traffic
ETA "showing me actual arrival time" not "1.5 hours"
Size

I have used it enough to get used to many of the features but have a few questions.

Is there a way to force a certain POI category to show alphabetically?
On my Magellan I actually had an address book sorted by the persons name. On the TT920 there is no address book so I had to create two new POI categories (personal, business) to make my own address book. Always sorts by distance from current location. This is horrible. Any ideas on a fix?

The TT920 comes with all maps pre-installed. With the ability to purchase regional maps for download. What advantage is the regional maps over the factory installed? More detail or the same? My Magellan had a 20 gig hard drive built in and detail was excellent no need for other maps.

Are there any add-on programs available for the TT920 that anyone recommends? Address book maybe ;)

Thanks for the help,
Jeff

hi Jeff,

I have not seen any way to force POI alphabetically. It comes in the nearest to farthest form. one lame way to force it alphabetically would be to edit your personal and business POIs to include 1, 2 etc... in front of the name so that it goes alphabeticallys.

I think that the regional maps have no advantage over the big one. Try adding up the sizes of the regional ones... you may find that it is the same size... it is probably intended for those in europe who just want the map of one territory where they plan to visit.

Unless I'm mistaken, one of the selling points of the 920T is that it already includes all the regional maps, which is the reason why it has 4GB internal memory vs the 720 with 2GB. I think you'd just be duplicating what you already have if you bought regional maps.

I think neojohn is right, the regional maps are for individual European countries so they can be "unbundled" from the hardware. The less expensive TomTom units don't have as much internal memory so there would be an advantage to only loading what you need.

Ask a Question