New POI Updates GO Live 1005

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live 1005
After a L O N G wait last night saw one of the updates I was waiting for. It took 5 minutes to download, about 65MB. When compleate I set to and upladed some 23/25 POI's from my old 910, At last my new 1005 works in the way I hoped.
All I need now is a new map update and I will be well pleased. Hope TOMTOM do not charge in 6 months time to continue to be able to update all the items which should have been free for the first year, we will see
Phil :)

Hope TOMTOM do not charge in 6 months time to continue to be able to update all the items which should have been free for the first year, we will see
If they do, there will be peasants in the streets of Amsterdam with torches and pitchforks!

Good to hear that at least the POI functionality has arrived. That eliminates one of my major "deal-buster" objections to this series. Hope they keep at it.

After a L O N G wait last night saw one of the updates I was waiting for. It took 5 minutes to download, about 65MB. When compleate I set to and upladed some 23/25 POI's from my old 910, At last my new 1005 works in the way I hoped.

Just to clarify this - I have hundreds of my own addresses saved as POIs in my own Categories (for my job, computer tech support) and its saved in my GO730 now, will I be able to upload them into new 2505 unit? My old trusty 730 is on it's last legs now, i replaced a battery and even after that it can't hold charge for long. Saving my destinations as POIs is critical for me and i've been putting off buying new Tomtom because of that. Please tell me that I can do it now! Also, does anybody know if "Send to GPS" works from google maps like it does now for my current model?

...will I be able to upload them into new 2505 unit?
You will if firmware 10.110 is installed already. But it will take some time since you have to copy each category and each format (*.ov2 and *.bmp) in a separate step to the unit. Furthermore it's not yet possible to add custom POI sounds in *.ogg format. Hopefully TomTom will change this new waste of time feature in the near future.

Oskar

Last edited:
Sounds are not that important to me as long as I can find the place:rolleyes: So I need to make sure that firmware is at 10.110 and I'm golden. It's ok if I need to copy each category separately, its just one time job My second question still stands: is it still possible to find address in Google Maps in your browser, then while your unit is connected, go "Send to GPS" option and it sends the location to your Tomtom and all you have to do is just rename it accordingly and place in one of your Categories? Also, I know it not longer shows as a drive so you can't make Windows Explorer backup, but how do you make a backup then? I can't afford to loose any of my POIs, any workarounds how to save it locally? Thanks a bunch, I haven't been here for a while but people here are helpful as they've always been:)

You can't make a backup. Period.

One presumes since you uploaded the pois initially to the unit, that you already have them on your computer.

While with Home2 you could have a transfer from Google to your unit, I doubt highly the same thing can be done on your unit since it requires the clud (web) based Home3 to interface between tomtom's servers and your unit.

Wow, that's one thing that me as computer tech can't accept. Of course my current POIs that I will upload already backed up locally, but its an ongoing process, I add new POIs on a daily basis and I know that one day while doing map upgrade or flashing firmware it will crap on me and delete anything that's not in ROM and I'll be back to factory settings. How about that for a workaround: I'll keep adding POIs to my 730 and then uploading them to a new unit, that way it should be backed up. So for those who's been blessed with one of the new models, to have a piece of mind you gotta have one of the older Tomtoms too :confused:

Wow, that's one thing that me as computer tech can't accept. Of course my current POIs that I will upload already backed up locally, but its an ongoing process, I add new POIs on a daily basis....

The user-POIs are the one thing you can back up now.

the "add POIs" screen in MyTomTom also allows you to copy them back to the PC.

So you can load an existing POI file to the satnav, add a few more entries as you drive about and then copy it all back to the computer at any time.

See the orange boxes in the screenshot below.

Home3_Add_POI_screen2.jpg

Last edited:
Now, that's kind of confimation I've been waiting for. Did anyone actually try to do it? I mean if I understand this feature was just recently added, so does it work? I'd really appreciate if one of the lucky owners would try to back up his/her POIs or Favorites. Now my search for a little $$ off for 2505 model begins :D

The installation of custom poi files does work but you have to have patience as it only allows 1 file at a time. So, the poi gets installed, then the .bmp file, then the next poi, etc.......

Now, that's kind of confimation I've been waiting for. Did anyone actually try to do it? I mean if I understand this feature was just recently added, so does it work? I'd really appreciate if one of the lucky owners would try to back up his/her POIs or Favorites. Now my search for a little $$ off for 2505 model begins :D

Keep an eye on Amazon. The price has dropped for a day a couple times and also had additional discounts (like 20% off) every so often. I got mine for $240 at Christmas time with 20% off, but 2 weeks ago I saw it for $195ish after price drop and 20% off code. Was at that price for less than 24 hours I think.

Use one of the Amazon price trackers or place it in your cart and check back daily on it.

I wonder if 2505 will drop in price once latest 2535 and 2435 are coming here. The only difference I could find in specs is that 2535 has 8GB of flash against 2505's 4GB. They also vaguely promised " more intuitive interface" on 2535 whatever it means. It makes sense to wait several weeks and see if that newish model is worth higher (I'm sure) price.

They also vaguely promised " more intuitive interface" on 2535 whatever it means.
Let's just hope that doesn't mean a pared down feature list with some kind of EasyMenu system like some of the previous models received.

Let's just hope that doesn't mean a pared down feature list with some kind of EasyMenu system like some of the previous models received.

I went back to the source of that rumor:
TomTom rolls out GO 2435 and 2535 models | GPS Tracklog
It looks like that "intuitive interface" applies to Voice recognition only allowing you to speak commands in natural language rather than preset commands. It can go either way depending on how good it understands natural language, but in my experience, unless they changed something radically and i don't see Tomtom as an innovator here, we are still far off from that gimmick working flawlessly.

Now, that's kind of confimation I've been waiting for. Did anyone actually try to do it? I mean if I understand this feature was just recently added, so does it work?

If I'll do... yes it works. :)
You can copy any POI file off to the PC for backup.
While it's there, you can edit it and add a few additional entries using one of the POI reader/editors like POIEdit, and then re-load the modified file back to the device.

It all works beautifully EXCEPT for having to load anything one file at a time, as already mentioned

Notice also from my photo on the previous page that at last TT have changed the way they store your Favourites too.
Rather than being embedded in the MapSettings.cfg file, they are now saved as a standard .ov2 file
(spelt the American way "Favorites.ov2" even when you're in the UK and they are referred to on-screen as Favourites)
Just like the POIs, the Favorites.ov2 can be copied from the device, edited elsewhere and then put back on it again.

Notice also from my photo on the previous page that at last TT have changed the way they store your Favourites too.
Rather than being embedded in the MapSettings.cfg file, they are now saved as a standard .ov2 file
(spelt the American way "Favorites.ov2" even when you're in the UK and they are referred to on-screen as Favourites)
Just like the POIs, the Favorites.ov2 can be copied from the device, edited elsewhere and then put back on it again.

Didn't they change it because every time you'd upgrade your Maps you Favorites were gone? That was another reason i used to backup an entire device before each map update. But now if it's just another .ov2 file it means upgrading your Maps doesn't affect your Favorites anymore.

It all works beautifully EXCEPT for having to load anything one file at a time, as already mentioned

I don't see it as a problem because each .ov2 + .bmp file is an entire CATEGORY. I have literally hundreds addresses in each category and only about 15 categories, so it won't take that long to upload them one by one. Thanks for the fast response, I know I have my bases covered now

Didn't they change it because every time you'd upgrade your Maps you Favorites were gone?

They actually sorted that out in software version 9.
but it was still a pain not being able to copy them from one machine to another, so this is a much better way.

Ask a Question