new POI category

Can I add a new POI category from the Windows explorer, without using the GPS itself or using the Home emulator?

You can copy a custom ov2 file from someplace on your computer to the specific map folder on the unit. Is that what you mean?

Yes, let?s say I want to add a new POI category, can I just copy the 2 files (x.ov2 and x.bmp), and rename them to y.ov2 and y.bmp under Windows explorer?

Yep. Put both in the specific map folder and then make sure you have them checked to show on the map.

Yes, let?s say I want to add a new POI category, can I just copy the 2 files (x.ov2 and x.bmp), and rename them to y.ov2 and y.bmp under Windows explorer?

But if you do that, you'll just have the same thing twice!

What exactly do you want to achieve?

Different brands of sat-nav use different formats of file for their POIs.
Garmin,for example use simple text files (.csv format) that you can read in a text editor like Notepad, but they then use a special program to combine all the different POI files into one big one (that ISN'T plain text) to load onto the machine.

TomTom use a file format (.ov2) that isn't plain text, so you need another program to help if you want to create your own files from scratch.
Progs like "Tyre" or "POI edit" allow you to read and write .ov2 files and can help you to convert a list of places from another format.

Ask a Question