New North America map version 715 now available

You will still receive 7.10 map upates. I believe that there are more 7.10 map updates than the 7.15 because most of the corrections are not noted on the newest map. Also, the new map has fewer mapshare update counts than the 7.10 map.

Newbie here with a 720 from Ebay...that being said, I guess I may have done myself in by upgrading from 7.05 to 7.10 without finding this forum first and learning that 7.15 was out. I agree with some folks here that 7.10 will work fine for me, but am wondering if, and for how long, mapshare updates will be added to 7.10...and if 7.10 are accurately mapshare-updated, why would I need 7.15? other then maybe a bell or whistle or two? I maybe not be understanding the picture here for an update.

The way I see it the new updates as far as map share goes are good to a point but I think the only things you will see changed are names, one way streets etc. and even name changes don't work all the time. for example the street I live on in the winter TT has named the same as a street a block to the south and when I try and change my street it changes both mine and the one to the south to the new name :confused:

It also has my street entering on a cross street and it doesn't as I am in a gated community and the street dead ends about 50 yards W of the cross street and inside the gateed comminity.

That being said I look on Google maps ( powered my NavteQ Garmins map source)
or Tele-Atlas ( TT Map source ) or Yahoo maps etc.etc and they are all the same so untill you have the actual map companies changing the info they put in the TT map corrections are going be miminal .

“ The old adage applies here garbage in garbage out ”

Last edited:
I want to know why I am not entitled to the new European Maps for my 920? I specifically purchased it because it have BOTH the US AND EUROPE maps. I specifically returned a Magellan since it did not have both maps.

As I wrote elsewhere, I have been suggesting to friends that TT's customer service is not the best - word of mouth is either good or bad advertising. I think TT should examine its policies on the 920 and map updates for BOTH maps.
Not to bash or anything but i can personally tell you magellan has the worst customer service ever(they use to be in the top of the line gps, especially for handhelds) i bought 2 units for geocaching the new triton 500 and a explorist 500 not 500 le and had issues with both (anyone wanting to know more just email me) one magellan made a bad move to outsource customer service , they don't even answer emails ! 2nd call center number no good, got another number waited 2 hours on the phone got a guy who could barely comprehend english , passed me on 2 two different supervisors with not much more comprehension of english or the unit so never mind any other language except theirs with i can not speak , finally returned both total lost for them close to 1000 dollars and 1 customer less
my 2 cents worth !

Not to bash or anything but i can personally tell you magellan has the worst customer service ever(they use to be in the top of the line gps, especially for handhelds) i bought 2 units for geocaching the new triton 500 and a explorist 500 not 500 le and had issues with both (anyone wanting to know more just email me) one magellan made a bad move to outsource customer service , they don't even answer emails ! 2nd call center number no good, got another number waited 2 hours on the phone got a guy who could barely comprehend english , passed me on 2 two different supervisors with not much more comprehension of english or the unit so never mind any other language except theirs with i can not speak , finally returned both total lost for them close to 1000 dollars and 1 customer less
my 2 cents worth !

Like you I had a Magellan ( A bit older than yours) and although I didn't have a lot of problams with it and therefore didn't have a whole lot to do with Customer support I chose not to go back to Magellan for a better road unit and went with TT 920 . I just felt TT was a better unit for the Hwy routing.
However time will tell.

I kept my Magellan for my boat as it is still great for waypoint marking and navagating in the fog should it close in on you in a hurry as it somtimes does in Nova Scotia.

I have joined Geocacher but haven't done anything with it yet but may this summer and the Magellan should be good for that when I am off the road.

Last edited:
Like you I had a Magellan ( A bit older than yours) and although I didn't have a lot of problams with it and therefore didn't have a whole lot to do with Customer support I chose not to go back to Magellan for a better road unit and went with TT 920 . I just felt TT was a better unit for the Hwy routing.
However time will tell.

I kept my Magellan for my boat as it is still great for waypoint marking and navigating in the fog should it close in on you in a hurry as it sometimes does in Nova Scotia.

I have joined Geocacher but haven't done anything with it yet but may this summer and the Magellan should be good for that when I am off the road.

Tomtom Good choice for road unit and good support ! as for your older magellan great for waypoints and geocaching , the older magellan units were better ! But for road use the new models are terrible and i had the newest version direct route and it in no way compares to my tomtom
Have a nice day

Last edited:
Newbie here,

Just got my Tomtom 720 this week. Called their support number for the 7.15 NA maps. They had me fax them a copy of the Latest map guarantee card, email add, refernce number, and proof of purchase. I called them back later in the afternoon and I am downloading the map as I type. Everything went very smoothly with support...

Don

Hahahaha. Figures. My 30 day guarantee expired last week. Oh well...

Its a shame the Map guarantee is not 1 yr. 30 days is such a short time considering how much they make you pay for one of these GPS things, not to mention the map price. Im def not going to spend $100 on a new map 31 days after buying a TT. Guess i'll just wait till the v8 maps come out.

I think the intent of the 30 day guarantee is to ensure that customers purchasing a device can, at no additional cost, get the maps that are current at the time of purchase, regardless of what map version was installed on the device at the time of manufacture. For this purpose, 30 days should be more than enough. Customers shouldn't be short-changed because the device they purchased sat on the retailer's shelf for a while. (Although this can and does happen with other products)

Having said that, a longer period can go a long way toward customer satisfaction, lessening the customer's feeling that their device is already obsolete.

I'm one of the lucky ones who got a 1-year guarantee certificate in my box. Based on what I've read here in the forums, I'll have to fight them for every update after the first 30 days. But I think that if even one person got a certificate like mine, then they should honor that guarantee for every customer who purchased the same product, regardless of what certificate came in THEIR box.

Here is my opinion for what its worth. Coming from Magellan where maps were guaranteed for a year, I dont understand the 30 day thing here. Why would a company want to piss people off with this whole thing. You can have a great product, but if your service behind it stinks, it doesnt matter how good it is, people will just stop buying or the ones that bought will move on. Service is the basis of every company and if you dont have that, you dont have a company...again this is just my opinion

As far as I know, TeleAtlas, TT map supplier, has the better maps for Europe since it has had that market for a long time. For North America, NavTeq maps are generally better than TeleAtlas since TeleAtlas is a recent on this market. While some maps, such as the city of Boston, may be up to par if not better than NavTeq, the Canadian coverage is sensibly lower quality with blaring mistakes and omissions that make the maps of a doubtful quality. Eventually the quality will be overall comparable but it will take time...

People need to know that it takes time for TeleAtlas to make their corrections and, once made, are released to Tomtom who take three months to then release the maps to their consumers. This means a delay of around six months for our MapShare major corrections (those requiring design modifications) to be implemented. Since the maps are updated every three months, I think TT would get a major advantage on its competitors if they did offer a one year free update policy across its product line. If they can make their MapShare system work better, they would have a real advantage over its competition with the one year free map update. Also people would be more willing to pay for the new maps that way if the map upgrade policy was valid for a year. The idea of having up-to-date maps for a full year can be quite enticing for consumers when one gets to consider the maps get rather major updates four times yearly. I use major updates in opposition to MapShare updates.

Does anyone know if the new Springfield Mixing Bowl (1-95 in Northern Virginia intersection with the capital beltway) has been updated with 715?

There are so many flyovers there now and was wondering if those have been updated with the new maps.

Thanks!

As far as I know, TeleAtlas, TT map supplier, has the better maps for Europe since it has had that market for a long time. For North America, NavTeq maps are generally better than TeleAtlas since TeleAtlas is a recent on this market. While some maps, such as the city of Boston, may be up to par if not better than NavTeq, the Canadian coverage is sensibly lower quality with blaring mistakes and omissions that make the maps of a doubtful quality. Eventually the quality will be overall comparable but it will take time...

People need to know that it takes time for TeleAtlas to make their corrections and, once made, are released to Tomtom who take three months to then release the maps to their consumers. This means a delay of around six months for our MapShare major corrections (those requiring design modifications) to be implemented. Since the maps are updated every three months, I think TT would get a major advantage on its competitors if they did offer a one year free update policy across its product line. If they can make their MapShare system work better, they would have a real advantage over its competition with the one year free map update. Also people would be more willing to pay for the new maps that way if the map upgrade policy was valid for a year. The idea of having up-to-date maps for a full year can be quite enticing for consumers when one gets to consider the maps get rather major updates four times yearly. I use major updates in opposition to MapShare updates.

For what it is worth I have noticed TeleAtlas has changed their map correction reporting page on the website recently so perhaps this is a sign that they are interested in getting better feed back from consumers and the area that they live in.

Hopefully we will see them make big improvements on their North American maps now that they are owned by TomTom.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Tomtom Good choice for road unit and good support ! as for your older magellan great for waypoints and geocaching , the older magellan units were better ! But for road use the new models are terrible and i had the newest version direct route and it in no way compares to my tomtom
Have a nice day

Yes I feel I made the right choice this time for on the road use.

As I said before my 4 year old Magellan Meridian will still be great for out on the boat when the fog rolls in in Nova Scotia :D or for any off road use.

I particularly Like the way you can make Ittinery's with Google Maps and then save them to your TT unit.

A terrific way to plan your route by draging your route ( on Ggggle Map Interface) they way you would like to go and not nessecary the way any GPS would like to take you.

Ask a Question