New North America map version 715 now available

I got them to add the new mapupdate this morning to my 920T that I just purchased a week ago. It took a whopping 45 minutes, and bickering but I got it done.

They wanted a scanned or faxed copy of my receipt, which I thought was out of the question and was told I was the first person to ever object to this. I don't own either, and frankly not many families own a fax machine. So they told me I could go get it scanned at a walgreens for a dollar, but I help my ground and told them they would have to refund my dollar, gas & time.

Finally the light bulb went off why not just give the code for the one year of free map updates, I mean that is what it's for.

However, after being called a thief & a liar I still feel obligated to return the tomtom & go back to garmin.

Anyone else been treated like this? Or have information that it's a federal law that they can request to see a receipt?

Still can't download 715 here either, I sent support an email about it.
What is the difference between the 720 ver 715 map at 1683MB and the 920 ver 715 map at 1953MB? Is it just the poi and crpoi dat size difference?
I'm currently running a 720 map ver 710 with the 920 poi dat files.

Believe I read somewhere that TT has decided to make the NA release of 7.15 maps 'selective' in that there are (surprise) issues with the servers again. Guess that means there isn't mass availability of the map, yet.

I got them to add the new mapupdate this morning to my 920T that I just purchased a week ago. It took a whopping 45 minutes, and bickering but I got it done.

They wanted a scanned or faxed copy of my receipt, which I thought was out of the question and was told I was the first person to ever object to this. I don't own either, and frankly not many families own a fax machine. So they told me I could go get it scanned at a walgreens for a dollar, but I help my ground and told them they would have to refund my dollar, gas & time.

Finally the light bulb went off why not just give the code for the one year of free map updates, I mean that is what it's for.

However, after being called a thief & a liar I still feel obligated to return the tomtom & go back to garmin.

Anyone else been treated like this? Or have information that it's a federal law that they can request to see a receipt?
I don't have a problem with producing my reciept if they want it. I don't believe there is any law against it.

So they gave you a code for a YEAR of free map updates?

Have you used the map guarantee at all to get a map upgrade prior to now? In other words, did you use it to get a map upgrade from that that originally came with your unit? If so, even if you're still in the 30 day window, you are out of luck. In the fine print somewhere, it basically says one kick at the can per map guarantee.

If indeed you have NEVER used the map guarantee feature and are still in the 30 day window then call them again. You ARE entitled and ask for second level support (supervisor) if no satisfaction is received initially.

Interesting. Thats mean I have only one option - to return my current TT to Best Buy and ask them for another one with 'fresh history of updates' :)

I don't have a problem with producing my reciept if they want it. I don't believe there is any law against it.

So they gave you a code for a YEAR of free map updates?

Na, the 920T came with a slip in the box saying you get free map updates for a year. So I just gave them that code.

I wouldn't have had a problem producing the receipt had they not called me a thief / criminal.

Yeah, they have some fine print at the bottom of one of the FAQs about map updates that says that they try to ensure that the latest maps are pre-installed on all units that are sold, but if the map is 9 months old or older on the GPS they reserve the right to NOT offer an update.
Now I don't know how that jives with the one year update... But I thought that was interesting...

I wouldn't necessarily believe the estimated time... As has been mentioned in a couple threads before, since the USA&Canada map (as well as the NA maps) don't take into account more than 3 (?) road types with associated speeds, the arrival times can vary by quite a degree.
I would be more interested in distance differences.
But you can check your settings to make sure that there are no road avoidances added. And is it possible that a road is blocked that you would have originally taken with the old map?

After experimentation with waypoints I think I might be wrong and I just might learn something from this TomTom, but I doubt it :). It is claiming routes to be slightly faster that I am sure are not, based on my experience (and Google agrees with me). However, the difference is small enough that I'm willing to try what the TomTom suggests ... and any real difference will be hard to measure because of the messiness of the real world. Anyway, thanks for listening.

Where you seeing the map ?? I'm getting store closed page.
closed.jpg

Try it through TT Home!!!

Changes in NA 7.15 map

Thanks to infama for this info:

Major Improvements Overview

USA

Tele Atlas? MultiNet? USA 2007.10 contains the following highlights and
improvements, compared to Tele Atlas? MultiNet? USA 2007.07, and apart from
all the normal Tele Atlas? database update procedures:
Addressing
? Continuous addressing updates resulted in an overall addition of over
600,000 new geocodable addresses and over 12,972 miles of new
streets in 300+ counties. Geocoding match rates reach 96% for
residential and 95% for businesses.
? Improved address ranges to match 75,000 pre-existing address points
partially due to the addition of 5.8 million address points to the
database.
Street geometry
? Geometry in 70 counties has been aligned to ADAS specification.
One-Ways
? Field and resource analysis leading to updates on 5,471 one-ways.
Maneuvers
? Field and resource updates leading to improvements on more than
21,983 maneuvers.
Release Notes - Tele Atlas? MultiNet? - North America v. 2007.10
Section 2: Release Information 14
Blocked passages
? Field and resource updates leading to more than 1,812 additional
blocked passages.
Speed Restrictions
? Added posted speed limits to over 139,000 miles of roadway using field
survey.

Canada

Tele Atlas? MultiNet? Canada 2007.10 contains the following highlights and
improvements, compared to Tele Atlas? MultiNet? Canada 2007.07, and apart
from all the normal Tele Atlas? database update procedures:
Addressing
? Significantly improved addressing in New Brunswick , Nova Scotia and
Ontario.
? Entire province of Nova Scotia updated for addressing and naming,
adding over 275,000 new address points, reflected in improved address
ranges.
? Updated over 3,183 addresses in Moncton , St. John and Fredericton in
the province of New Brunswick .
? Updated approximately 4800 address ranges in Vancouver .
? Updated 16,600 address ranges in the Greater Toronto area.
? Geocoding match rate nationwide is 86% for residential and 85% for
businesses.
? Approximately 3,944 additional miles of named streets nationwide.
Street geometry updates
? Geometry alignment improvements and completion in New Brunswick ,
Nova Scotia and Ontario , representing 3,944 miles.
? 4,185 miles of field verified transportation attributes added in Nova
Scotia.
? Entire province of New Brunswick aligned to positionally accurate
source.
One-Ways
? Field and resource analysis leading to updates on 513 one-ways.
Release Notes - Tele Atlas? MultiNet? - North America v. 2007.10
Section 2: Release Information 15
Maneuvers
? Field and resource updates leading to improvements on more than 3,559
maneuvers.
Speed Restrictions
? Added posted speed limits to over 17,000 miles of roadway using field
survey.

TT Response to 1 year coupon

The email I received from TT says they need my code to help me further. I have emailed the code to them. We will see what they say tomorrow...will post update...

Thanks to infama for this info:

Major Improvements Overview

USA

Tele Atlas? MultiNet? USA 2007.10 contains the following highlights and
improvements, compared to Tele Atlas? MultiNet? USA 2007.07, and apart fr...

Great update!! Do you know if there is any news on a TT map for Brazil?

I think that one year "free map" guarantee is a total carrot on a stick. Chances are they're not going to release a map with substantial changes inside of a year. Someone checked some streets for me on the 7.15 map and it still has a bunch of roads missing. If anyone out there is using 7.10, I'd recommend sticking with it until a 7.2 or 7.3 comes out.

Garmin wont deal with you without a receipt from a big ticker retailer. TT will honour even Ebay receipts! Dont over-react...grass is always greener on the other side.

Na, the 920T came with a slip in the box saying you get free map updates for a year. So I just gave them that code.

I wouldn't have had a problem producing the receipt had they not called me a thief / criminal.

Did they called you a thief or did they said that there is no way of knowing IF you were the real owner or a thief?

If they called you a thief outright, then that was out of line and you could get them fired!

Did they called you a thief or did they said that there is no way of knowing IF you were the real owner or a thief?

If they called you a thief outright, then that was out of line and you could get them fired!

This is the quote...

"We are not certain if you stole the 920 or not"...

Which to me sounds like, yes the rep was calling me a thief. Sad thing I can't tell the map update did anything, but add max speed to certain interstates. All the ones in KY are posted at the wrong max speed.

I would certainly take that statement as being called a thief.

I am still trying to get a response on when I can expect to be able to get the updated map. But I am not holding out much hope as to the accuracy of the maps. Today my TT One 3rd tried to send me down a road that never has existed. I always heard TT had the most up to date maps. Makes me wonder just how bad the maps are for the other companies.

I just got off the phone with TT and they were great. Today is my 30th day for map gaureete and they said no problem just copy and e-mail receipt and promo code and I did and he put it on my account and it is downloading as I speak.:D

Ask a Question