New Member: TomTom go730 AGGREVATING problem..

Hi All!
Thank you for the great resource. I've been looking for a forum to try to get an answer to this problem. I have contacted TomTom support 3 times, but keep getting the same scripted "fixes" that don't work. :mad: Here it is:
The VOICE PROMPTS (Address INPUT) stopped working after doing the firmware update the unit prompted me to do. It worked FINE before the firmware update. I read someone who had the same issue, and they were told a firmware fix was due to come out. But that goes back to June, so I have lost faith that it's coming. As mentioned, I have tried all the stock "fixes"- i.e.; reboot, reset, flash tool, website software updates, etc. Is there someway to just find the OLDER firmware and re-install THAT, since that version worked fine? Any others who may have a solution to this? Appreciate the help!
Thanx! Gary

Hi All!
Thank you for the great resource. I've been looking for a forum to try to get an answer to this problem. I have contacted TomTom support 3 times, but keep getting the same scripted "fixes" that don't work. :mad: Here it is:
The VOICE PROMPTS (Address INPUT) stopped working after doing the firmware update the unit prompted me to do. It worked FINE before the firmware update. I read someone who had the same issue, and they were told a firmware fix was due to come out. But that goes back to June, so I have lost faith that it's coming. As mentioned, I have tried all the stock "fixes"- i.e.; reboot, reset, flash tool, website software updates, etc. Is there someway to just find the OLDER firmware and re-install THAT, since that version worked fine? Any others who may have a solution to this? Appreciate the help!
Thanx! Gary

What version of Navcore do you currently have?

Birdman,
Thanks for the quick response- but believe it or not, after trying and trying to fix this for 3 months, I decided to check the TomTom website through "home", as I do every week or so- and there was a new firmware update, 8.xxxx something. I installed it- And- IT WORKED!! I can't believe it finally is fixed!! Just a dumb coincidence, I guess, that I found it today minutes after this post, but what the heck- it WORKS, and I'm happy! :D :D :)

Birdman,
Thanks for the quick response- but believe it or not, after trying and trying to fix this for 3 months, I decided to check the TomTom website through "home", as I do every week or so- and there was a new firmware update, 8.xxxx something. I installed it- And- IT WORKED!! I can't believe it finally is fixed!! Just a dumb coincidence, I guess, that I found it today minutes after this post, but what the heck- it WORKS, and I'm happy! :D :D :)

I LOVE it when just responding to a post solves the problem
big_rofl.gif

uh oh!------Here's hoping!
i'm playing with a lot of the features I ignored cause i was so disgusted with this thing I set it aside and used my Acura's outdated built-in GPS. I haven't updated the DVD on it since it's over $200.00, which was OK in 2004 when a GPS unit was very expensive. Doesn't make sense now to update the maps at that price! But I activated the cell phone features like the traffic -I thought you have to pay for that service- it linked with my Blackberry, but do I have to pay an additional fee to use it? Also, the weather function, pretty cool. I know about a lot of the multimedia stuff, like mp3 player, photo viewer. What other neat things does this model do?

Last edited:
Of course you will have to pay for the traffic. Right now $59.95 (a bit steep - as they were charging only 1/2 of that a while back). You will have two choices for traffic - bluetooth data service and a traffic receiver. Study the two options closely if you decide to get it, as there are issues with respect to the carrier costs on the data service and device compatibility, and coverage on the receiver. The forum is full of info on both options.

Many of the other features are free. Suggest you go to TomTom home and pull up the functionalities of your unit and while connected to Home, go thorough the "Add Maps, etc" section to see various options, downloads, etc and see which are free and the cost of any others (like gas prices and traffic).

And if you have trouble with "Susan" computer voice stuttering - dump her for Kate (UK) or Dave...

Well, played for quite a while today. No traffic, have to decide if I want to pay for that. Noticed some stuttering after the update, good to know I can fix that by changing the voice (I assume..). The biggest quirk I remember from last use still exists- and it's pretty serious for me- Here in South Florida, drivers need to make a LOT of u-turns. The avenues are 6-lane divided, (3 and 3 lanes), and u-turns are legal and necessary everywhere. My old GPS in my car, as well as others I've used (several different makes and models since I am a DM for RadioShack) ALL simply say something like "Make a U-turn when possible." The TomTom makes you do a drive-around- for instance, turn left- turn left-turn left- which can take you a mile or more out of the way and is a REAL pain-in-the A**!! And by the time you catch it in most cases, it's too late. VERY frustrating. Is there some way to fix this? I didn't see anything in the menus like "allow U-turns", or something like that. When I was living in CT., this was a non-issue. U-turns were non existent and usually illegal anyway. But here, this is a TOTAL deal-breaker!

The TomTom makes you do a drive-around- for instance, turn left- turn left-turn left- which can take you a mile or more out of the way and is a REAL pain-in-the A**!! And by the time you catch it in most cases, it's too late. VERY frustrating. Is there some way to fix this? I didn't see anything in the menus like "allow U-turns", or something like that. When I was living in CT., this was a non-issue. U-turns were non existent and usually illegal anyway. But here, this is a TOTAL deal-breaker!

I live in Florida as well, and I also made a post on this very subject. All of the other GPS's I've used say to make a u-turn, where as the TomTom will have you turn right, right, right, left, etc when all was needed was a simple u-turn.

My Magellan will always tell me to make the next legal u-turn, and so does VZ Navigator. Blah. Everyone here started telling me how u-turns are evil and how they like that TomTom "feature"... I just do U-turns on my own...

just wondering, since you guys and gals are the experts- Is there a solution to my dillema (above)? Or is this just something inherent with this model- or TomToms in general- As I stated, I've tried several other brands and this is not an issue. At most, they say "turn around when possible", which still saves time and aggravation.

hi saveuvagony! Quite a coincidence, you posted just as I was composing my post! Karma or something- So it is a problem with tomtoms in general, I gather. Too bad. Since I've only been down here a short while, it really is a problem. It means I have to default to my Acura's old built in system and put my 730 aside. Too late to return it. Too bad.

Earlier TomTom apps had typically instructed to make U Turn when possible. Once they did it on a road that had been upgraded to median divider with limited access (no U turns possible) in San Jose. When I did not, it sent me around in a circle and tried again - it could not direct me properly to my destination - even after I deliberately got off the road and came from another direction. New map fixed it.

For some reason (maybe complaints), they decided to go to the left-left-left or right-right-right system rather than U turns.

Ask a Question