New maps whipes out 4-digit lock code?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I just downloaded my 8.25 North_America_2GB map, and found that when I installed it, it wiped out my security (4-digit lock) code on the start-up screen. :(

Fortunately, I already knew about the trick to keep your favorites and settings, so I copied the entire internal memory do my hard-drive before I did the upgrade, and therefore have copies of all the previous files.

For some (stupid!) reason, when I try to "Operate my Go" from Windows/XP Pro w/SP3, I get the dreaded "unable to operate because there is no (file?) for your specific operating system and unit" (or whatever the heck it says. Pretty strange - I've used that function to setup the lock code about 3 or 4 months ago, and I haven't upgraded my OS since then. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know which file I put back on the unit (and if it safe to just replace it)?

Last edited:
The new Home version is supposed to have the file to make the emulator work on a pc. Have you got the latest version?

hmmm... No dice. Same thing - "not available yet for your operating system / device combination". The curious thing is that I've used it recently, and I haven't updated my OS. hmmmhmmmhmmm... :rolleyes:

easy fix

If u call tech support they have a fix bc I had the same problem...if u uninstall & re-install ur app when u go into operate my go it'll ask u 2 download a file for this to work.

I have a GO 630 with a 8gb SDHC card. When I first got the card I used explorer to copy the entire contents of the internal memory to the SDHC and everything was fine until I upgraded to the latest map version, my pin was cleared. After a lot of experimenting, I found out what occurred. It seems you cannot directly install a pin on a SDHC. Whenever you use Home to install a pin it's stored in internal memory even if you selected the SDHC as the device to use. I confirmed this by removing the SDHC and booted from internal memory and there was the request to enter the pin! I cleared the pin and shutdown the 630, reinserted the SDHC and powered up. I then used Home, with the SDHC as the selected device, to enter a new pin . Sure enough boot up with the SDHC no pin request, boot up with internal memory and had the screen to enter the pin.

The GO 630 uses either internal memory or SDHC at one time, not both as some units do, so after erasing the SDHC and copying internal memory to it I have the pin request upon booting with the SDHC.

Now as to not being able to Operate My XXXX the following solution has worked for me:

You need to delete the files in the extensions folder located here:

x:\Documents and Settings\"user name"\Application Data\TomTom\Home\Profiles\"*.default"\extensions

Doing so will force Home to download the needed files when you click on Operate My ***. Be aware though that TomTom in it's infinite wisdom has named some of the files with a ".chk" extension which Microsoft identifies as being orphaned file fragments created by the chkdsk utility which scans and repairs your hard drive. If you have a maintenance program that cleans up clutter and debris from your system these files will be deleted causing your error. Just add that folder to the exclusions list of you maintenance program and everything should be OK.

HTH,

DeliBaker

GO 630, 8gb SDHC
App 8.302
Map 825.2157
Home 2.5.2.60

4 digit security code reset

I also had the 4 digit security code vanish when I installed the new 2GB USA map on my GO 730. I do not have an additional memory card. Somehow installing the new map erases the code.

It also erased all my favorites and all my map corrections, for which I was not very happy, since the new map has the same old map errors.

Copying the mapsettings.cfg file from a backup to the new map's folder should restore the favourites.

Copying the mapsettings.cfg file from a backup to the new map's folder should restore the favourites.

Yes, unless you didn't know the new map would wipe everything, and backed up, which replaced that file. Fortunately, my laptop's TimeMachine backup had the file, and copying it over restored my favorites.

Still, wiping the 4 digit security code with a map update?! How secure is that?! Can a thief just install a new map to wipe it?

To be honest, I have never heard of a map update wiping out the security code and, in fact, do not see how this is possible since the code is not maintained in the map folder.

Having said that, I AM aware that the security code CAN be wiped out by a different download which I do not think appropriate to post here.

To be honest, I have never heard of a map update wiping out the security code and, in fact, do not see how this is possible since the code is not maintained in the map folder.

Well now you've heard that it happened, from several users.

Well now you've heard that it happened, from several users.

It's interesting that it happened. I downloaded the new maps, and my security code is still good. Also, I downloaded the map on a different PC as I'm not home right now.

You know what, I haven't used mine since I downloaded the new map, like I thought I had. And, my security code did indeed get wiped. Very interesting.

Last edited:
I The GO 630 uses either internal memory or SDHC at one time, not both as some units do, so after erasing the SDHC and copying internal memory to it I have the pin request upon booting with the SDHC.

DeliBaker

GO 630, 8gb SDHC
App 8.302
Map 825.2157
Home 2.5.2.60

I'm not sure that is correct. My understanding is that the 630 is just a 730 with only 1 map, not both US and Canada but that it still will handle sdhc memory **in addition** to internal.

Try this: create a folder called mp3 (all lower case, no quotes) on the sdhc card. Put a mp3 file in it. But, have the application on internal (so that the TT will boot to internal by default). Now, go to the jukebox. does it 'see' and be able to play the mp3 which resides on the card?

Yes, unless you didn't know the new map would wipe everything, and backed up, which replaced that file. Fortunately, my laptop's TimeMachine backup had the file, and copying it over restored my favorites.

Still, wiping the 4 digit security code with a map update?! How secure is that?! Can a thief just install a new map to wipe it?

Let's say for the moment that upgrading a map by itself can wipe out the security code (and, sorry, I'm still not convinced it does ....) and a thief steals a unit that is locked with a pin.

How is the thief going to blow away the pin by upgrading the map if he doesn't know the pin in the first place to access the unit to connect it to Home to download the map???

Ask a Question