New Maps Question

I did the search through the old posts but didn't find exactly what I was looking for..

So I got the new maps and it has CA, CA & NV and North America maps.. I really only care about California map.. Will North Amarica map (890MB) contain more California info than CA map (100MB)? Which of the three is more detailed? And there's also a 1.4GB map of everything..

Will I benefit (like better maps & more POI for California) if I buy a 2GB San Disk and install ALL the maps on the DVD.. Won't these three maps interfere with each other?

Last edited:
new map question

Smash,
Your question is a bit strange I don't understand,
1) where are you writing from?
2) Type model of your tomtom
3) map version?

I ask because if you purchased it in the states you should have a U.S./Canada map.

If you don't have a U.S. model then Purchaceing a map from tomtom you have to know that if you want a complete California map you should purchace the whole west coast. If you you purchace only Part of it you may not have a complete map. My advise is to get a complete U.S. Map.
As for a 2Gb card and puting more than one map they don't interfere but
you can not go crosscountry as you would have to switch map along the way.

Hi smash,

From my understanding, the map data itself (roads) will be the same in detail. What you get by going with the North America map over USA/Canada is alot more POI data and also a few things like lakes and rivers. But as far ass map data, the regional map should be the same as NA or USA.

Hope this helps.

Hi smash,

From my understanding, the map data itself (roads) will be the same in detail. What you get by going with the North America map over USA/Canada is alot more POI data and also a few things like lakes and rivers. But as far ass map data, the regional map should be the same as NA or USA.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, I have a TomTom 510. North America.

So, by downloading a 1.4GB map I will get more POI. That makes sense.. Question is, is it worth buying a 2GB SD Card for this?

That is a decision only you can make for yourself. For me, it was worth it. 2gb cards are pretty cheap these days, you can find one for around $20 if you look. There's a POI category of "shops" that's missing from the USA/Canada maps that is there in the NA maps. That alone is worth it to me, but to each their own. :)

Replacement SD card specs from TT ??

2gb cards are pretty cheap these days, you can find one for around $20 if you look. There's a POI category of "shops" that's missing from the USA/Canada maps that is there in the NA maps.

Has TomTom given any minimum "specs" (i.e. read/write speed) for a replacement SD card that you know of? Most low end cards are of the 50x-60x variety (around 6mb read/write) while there is a different class of newer cards that are 133x-150x (15-22mb read/write), I guess my question is what is the spec for the 1GB card that comes with the TT One and would I get better performance out of a faster card?

Any insight would be appreciated. I would like to move up to the 2GB card to take advantage of the extra POI's as well. I travel alot for business and the POI's are VERY helpful.

The "official" word from TomTom Support was that only a 1GB SD Card will work. But many many users have proved that wrong...

And to take battom's response one step further, there is no proof that a faster card performs better in a TT than a standard card. I have a standard 2g sandisk card that I paid $29 at Radio Shack for.... I could have gotten it online for $20ish but needed instant gratification. :)

And to take battom's response one step further, there is no proof that a faster card performs better in a TT than a standard card. I have a standard 2g sandisk card that I paid $29 at Radio Shack for.... I could have gotten it online for $20ish but needed instant gratification. :)
OMG!

That same 2GB Sandisk is $120 up here (currently on sale for $60)

Ask a Question