New Map Version 8.30 is avaiable

There's a discussion about this map in the "GO" forum, but I have a ONE, so I'll post my experience here.

Home told me that a new map was available, United_States version 830.2323. Yay, the first one in my subscription. But will it work?

* I backed up my unit. Full "Explorer" backup. I've heard enough stories of borked updates to know that's the first step.

* I let Home do everything *but* the map download. I wanted to get my last round of MapShare corrections transmitted (I had several from drives through the country this weekend).

* Then I let Home upgrade the map. Download, install, no problems.

* Just for kicks, I checked for updates again. There are already some MapShare corrections (but I don't know how many, because Home still won't display it).

* Used the "eject" button in Home to disconnect the unit.

And here's the result:
Problem with map

You cannot use this map
on this device:
United_States

[Continue]​

Pressing "Continue" gives me a map selection screen. With only one option: "United States", which generates the red-screen error above.

Power off, power on and run Home again. Sure enough, even in the Home emulator, I get the red screen error.

Guess I'll send an email to TT... I'd call, but I don't have time.

There's a discussion about this map in the "GO" forum, but I have a ONE, so I'll post my experience here.

You may require the latest application for your model to work with the newest map.

For example, many with Go models still have application 8.302 installed where 8.350 is available and it's being reported that 8.302 will NOT work with the 830 maps for their models.

It's worth a shot to get the latest application and then try to operate the unit ....

Some updates:

* When I go into HOME to "Show Contents", the map has the message "This item does not work on your device", and recommends I delete it.

* The Delete screen says "This item cannot be used on this device because it needs to be activated first".

I suspect support will tell me to delete the new map so that Home will reinstall the old one. I'm just glad I made a backup first.

I just used my Latest Map Guarantee to update my 140S to map version 8.3. I had no problems other than the usual, e.g. losing my Favorites.

I wiped my ONE and restored from my Explorer backup, and went to lunch while the files were copying back.

Sure enough, when I got back from lunch, there was a note from TomTom in my inbox:
We have added the map version 8.30 back to your account so you can download and install to your ONE 125​

D'oh! Well, at least now I've had the opportunity to test my Disaster Recovery system. It works after the wipe/restore process.

Now, I'm downloading the map upgrade again, and we'll see what happens (in about half an hour).

I have found many updates to this version of the map, as compared to 8.25. This map is the 1st to reap the benefits of tomtom owning teleatlas from what I can tell. I have found one new ramp added that greatly improves routing in a section of town that had terrible routing due to the omission of this ramp. Also a new interchange on Rt. 28 is already in the map. This only recently opened. The new I-79 and 22-30 (new I-376) ramps are missing but this only very recently opened. Overall very good map update

I'm seeing some indications that they've fixed some of the glitches in the HOV lane on I-635 in Dallas, but I'll have to poke some more to see if they've really licked it. TxDOT took the inside lane, added breakaway markers, and turned it into an HOV lane -- but as far as you can tell by looking at the pavement, it's just another lane. All it would take is one run by the ground crew to get it right on the map.

Ask a Question