New Map + New firmware = No GPS Signal

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 910; TomTom 540TM
I have a TT910 that's worked great, al least until I bit the bullet and updated my North America map last week from v665 to v825. In order to accomplish this, I first updated Home to v2.5 and the operating system to v7.9. I was then able to download the new map with no difficulty, and all appeared to have gone well. Testing in-home, I was able to use the new map and plan trips between locations. Unfortunately, when I went outside, the 910 did not receive a GPS signal of any kind -- no bars, no signal. I returned to the computer and updated the GPSfix file, still with no positive results. Is this something that has happened to others when updating both maps and firmware, and if yes, is there a fix? One additional occurance. I still have the regional maps installed on the 910 from my prior version of maps and when I changed to the western regional as a test, I obtained a signal after awhile. I then switched back to the new NA map and received a signal there, as well. I shut the unit down to see whether the change was permanent and again could not obtain a signal thereafter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

After the reset, I would do a clear_flash of the unit, especially if you have never done it or have not done it recently. After this, leave it on in a place with good reception and see if it comes up. If so, turn it on and off a few times to be sure its OK.

You mentioned regional maps - the 910's came with NA and European maps - are they not also on the 910?

Do you have the latest application. My 920 uses the application 8.302 You need the latest application in your unit so you can use all the features with this map update

All is good again! After resetting, hard-resetting, and flashing the unit, still no GPS signal. I called Tomtom and the tech had me first bring the unit back to Factory Settings (in the change preferences area) and then download the latest quickFixgps file. He said that what happened to me, the loss of the signal following a firmware upgrade, is not common but does occur. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Ask a Question