New Map DVD noise

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone is experiencing the same issue I have with my new map DVD

When I insert the DVD into the drive and the drive reads it, it makes an awful noise (like someone turning on a mechanical tool and it spins to a high rpm).

I've tried it on another CD drive on another computer and it made the same noise but slightly softer.

I've inserted the original DVD that came with the box and it produced no noise other than the normal CD drive noise.

Any reason why the new DVD makes an awful noise in the drive? Is there something wrong with the disc?

Sounds to me like the disk is having a hard time being indexed. It may be read entirely but the large amount of data and a small sratch would make the drive itself work harder.... An Easy test would be to make a backup onto another DVD if you have the hardware/software capability. And try the new disk.

Last edited:
I have an external DVD drive/burner and it made some noise, but nothing too unusual. Try battom's suggestions, and let us know!

suppose you copy the entire contents of the DVD to your hard disk, will HOME be able to find the contents on your hard drive?

yes. you need to edit the TOC file however so it can install from your hard drive correctly. When I was allowing downloads of my DVD the only edit I made from the origional files was the toc. Otherwise you can browse the files, but when you try to install them it wants the DVD. Rather easy edit though... example of the toc file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><TomTomToc version='1.0'>

<!-- Satellite imagery -->

<SatelliteImage>
<Id>USA</Id>
<Version>1</Version>
<Name>USA</Name>
<Target>tomtom,pocketpc,mobile_s60v3,mobile_UIQv3</Target>
<Location>file:///C:/<direcorty>/sat_usa.cab</Location>
<Size>7115264</Size>
</SatelliteImage>

file:///C:/<directory>/ replaces dvd://

indeed, this DVD can be balky in the drive - its a dual layer DVD with close to 8GB on it, must be hard for the drive to track it.

battom, some differences I encountered. I copied the entire DVD to my hard drive, I only needed two slashes in front of "file:", not 3. Also, I had to apply this edit to all 4 of the TOC files from the DVD: app, voice.22k, maps_usa_canada, raster_usa. I then changed the path in HOME under Preferences to look to the directory where I copied the DVD contents to (with the edited TOC files). I'm loading it all now to a new 2GB blank SD card.

The download off the hard drive is very smooth and quiet.

Last edited:
Yeah, you'd have to edit any toc that you intend to use form the hard Drive instead of the DVD. Glad you got it working for you.

Ask a Question