New Map Brings Old Problems

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 3rd, GO 720
New 825 Map Brings Old Problems

So, I just signed up for the USA Updater Service, which forced me to download & install the NA 2GB 825 "baseline" Map (at a pro-rated discount $$).

However, the new map seems to have revived some olde issues:

1) The Speed Limit Round-Off -bug has re-surfaced.
Some of the speed limits I've been painstakingly re-entering have been showing up +1 MPH higher than entered. For example, I KNOW for a Fact that I entered: "55 MPH" & NOT: "56 MPH" on the main highway through my town.

2) The Mis-Recorded Speed Limit -bug has also surfaced (but was likely never squashed).
Sometimes, the speed limit database just mis-saves the values. Possibly, after too many corrections are saved on a particular stretch of roadway. For example, I entered a Lot of Limits on the aforementioned highway, NONE of which were "25 MPH" but that's what the unit displayed for a 5-mile stretch, in the midst of the Limit zone this morning on the way to work. It should've been 50 & 55, as I added. Prior to my changes, there had been No speed data for this highway.

It's possible that these last two bugs have been present all along & the fresh map is causing me to re-encounter them just now.

3) The #%$# Stuttering is Back! :mad:
This probably has Nothing to do with the Map. I've been running Navcore 8.302 for nearly a week, which probably does. One of the recent updates seemed to have fixed it, because I went at least a month without encountering it.

For me, the Stuttering only seems to occur when I'm using the Hands-Free to talk on my cellphone & the Unit attempts to simultaneously play a wave, such as, "Left Turn Ahead" or "Slow Down!" It does Not occur under similar circumstances, during Jukebox playback (in this case, the music pauses while the Instruction is played).

The only thing I can think of on this is that I had to use a several-month-old MapSettings.cfg file to restore my Favorites. This was necessary as TomTom Tech Support's Updater Solution involved uninstalling Home, which unexpectedly DELETED all of the 720's backups on this PC. (Fortunately, my work PC still contains a recent 720 backup or two on it...)

We are most assuredly NOT Amused. :mad:

Last edited:
Follow-up:
I spoke with Tech Support, who recommended reinstalling NavCore. They agreed that Stuttering & Round-Off Bugs have been fixed by 8.302 or earlier, but couldn't explain why getting Map NA 825 as prep for the Updater Service would cause this (sounds tenuous to me, too).

We also spoke about issue #2, above, and he admitted that there are some "quirks" between the mapshare database & the corrections gui. So, at least it's been logged with their dev team.

Anyway, I'm doing a Full OS-level backup, before following their uninstall/reinstall instructions.

Later:
Aside from resetting damn'd-near every user preference, Home first installed NavCore 7.481, before re-intalling 8.302. So, 8.302 is just an update to Nav 7?

We'll see if this cures the stuttering & round-off problems on the drive home, tonight...

Last edited:

Ask a Question