New Home and 510 software created major problems

Recently I installed the new HOME software and did NOT save my previous version when the installation ask - BIG MISTAKE. I then downloaded and installed the new OS for the 510, again - A BIG MISTAKE. Neither of these updates mentioned the changes that were about to be made, both good and not so good. Let me explain.

Home - the new GUI is designed for a novice with no ability to really "explore" the folders in the 510 as I am accustomed to. Your choices are so very limited now.

510 - the new OS completely disabled several 3rd party programs I was accustomed to having available for use. The 3rd party programs no longer showed up in Home so they could even be deleted. However, there are a couple of features that are nice in the new OS, but the loss of my other functions greatly outweighed the new features.

Resolution (Part 1): I loaded Home from my original CD. Luckly, it realized there was an update at the get-go on the install. It downloaded and installed the last, working version before Home v2.

Resolution (Part 2): I did have a very recent backup of my 510 so I restored it and as expected, everything worked including my 3rd party programs.

I then made a new backup and labeled it "old software version" so I will always be able to go back to this point.

I am still trying to find a complete install for the last, pre v2 Home so I will have it at hand should I ever need it again and not get the automatic update. I thought I had it on a drive, but apparently, I don't.

I'm sure many of you will find the new updates just the greatest thing, but the slick new GUI hides so many things from the technical users. Now, if I can just stop Home from asking me to update to v2, I will be a happy camper.

The latest HOME version previous to HOME 2 I believe was HOME 1.6 but that was on the CD from the 720 users.

The next lower version is 1.5 and it should still be on the TomTom site.

Now, I do have both version installed and when I login to 1.5 version it doesn't ask me to update. It may be a result of having both versions but I don't know for sure.

Ask a Question