New Go 920 and Map Guarantee

I got my new GO 920 on Thursday night and attempted to use the map guarentee, which is supposedly good for a year, to upgrade the Western Euorpean Map which it said I needed. When I attempted to download it I did not have enough space. I was 219mb short. I called Tom Tom and they had me go into the Tom Tom file in my computer and click and drag the old map to my desk top. I attempted again to download and made it to install where I was now 149mb short and it just stopped. Called them again and the guy took me through a number of machinations and told me now I would have more than enough space. This is where I think my problems began. I had to download again and everthing went fine until I got to looking at what maps I had available and I only had the Europe map, not North America or Guam. This was yesterday, Saturday. I called back and after some more machinations they put the North America map into my account which I was able to download and install. I thought this was over but today, Sunday, when I went to use my unit I could not communicate with it verbally. It's not there anymore. It seems the traffic cameras are also missing and who knows what else. I think the Spanish and French languages are missing also and I"m not sure I really care about those. Should I? As they were closed today I guess I'll continue this saga tomorrow after work. This first thing I did when I opened the unit was to back it up so at least I have that. The download of the Western European map was supposed to 1927mb but I only downloaded 1881.6mb. I was told when I inquired about this that the 1927mb is only an estimate. I don't really understand all this so I guess I'm asking those with more knowledge than I what I should be asking Tom Tom tomorrow when I call back. Since I have a backup from day one before any of this started am I in good shape? What would happen if I tried to restore it to that time? Would restore effect the European map I downloaded? I've read here about a new North America update either due or recently released. The last thing I was told was I was good until probably April 2009 so were they telling me to go away and not try to get any more updates. Great forum, thanks for any help or ideas.

save it

save your free download for the maps you will use most often. If you are on these boards i would assume you are from the usa. Save it for those maps.

Your maps are downloaded into your HOME folders in your computer. You could always get them by going to 'My Documents/TomTom HOME/Download/map - you should see North America and the Europe map there.

I suggest in purchasing a SD Card. Here is where you can add your extra maps or maps that will not fit with your other goodies in the internal drive.

I tried entering my 1 year update code today at the TomTom site, it said it was invalid. I phoned customer support to rectify the situation and the NA map was put into my account. This was the good news. The bad news is that I was told that the 1 year update is only good for ONE download in the 1 year period, yet the small print on the 1 year cert clearly says it is valid for ALL new map releaseS (plural). Anyone else come across this.

The battle is not over, I still need the European 7.15

ex-egll

Hi,

I just told the same to a TomTom agent on the phone today. I expected that the Latest Map Guarantee (one free map) includes both Europe 715 and NA 715, after all both (710) are preloaded on my 920 (purchased today morning). I think it is simple unfair that I have to pay additional money for the map which is the actual release on the very same day I got my unit! I got the 920 because it is preloaded for both NA&Europa...

Nope, he gave me the NA nap only...

Chip

715 version maps

This was my situation...

Purchased tomtom GO 920T a couple of weeks ago. I got the same map guarantee leaflet for "one year" of free updates. If you read Tomtom website, you no longer need to enter the code when using tomtom home v.2.x.

I selected the "use latest map guarantee" on tomtom home and it said I could update the europe maps... the North america maps were not there.

I emailed tomtom... they had me scan my receipt and guarantee leaflet and send it back to them. I did. within 20 minutes the north american update showed up as a normal update. I downloaded and installed it.

The European map (715) is stilll showing up in my latest map guarantee... I have not downloaded it yet because I am waiting on my memory card to arrive (not enough space on 920's internal memory).

It sounds like tomtom is changing there policies on map updates, but there are still units being sold that don't match the changes. I guarantee that if there is another update within a year I will fight to get the downoad if they say I can't. Everyone should be sure to save their "leaflet guarantee" How can they deny you if there is paper work saying one year of updates (plural) sold with the unit?

I want everybody to read what sly999 said. He is 100% correct. I'm an actual employee of TomTom techincal support. The 920's that you guys are buying were all made before the maps were released. We make thousands of these things every day.

In order to get 715 maps, you will need a photo copy / fax of your Proof Of Purchase, and your LMG card. Without those, you will not get 715 maps, and you will only be allowed to get one 715 map with the Latest Map Guarantee.

...for any future reference of anybody that sees this and calls Tech Support, 9 times out of 10 if a Tech Support Rep tells you something that you don't like and you ask for a supervisor, you'll hear the same information from the supervisor. 9 times out of 10 the Tech Support Rep is 100%, or marginally close, to what actual company policy is, and nobody in that building can violate company policy, of course.

Ok, so I see no other way, but to return my 920T to BestBuy and get one again when they are coming with the new maps...

d0nt_beli3ve_the_4ype: when do you expect the new 920T-s with 715 maps preloaded to hit the stores in Canada?

Thanks,

Chip

Ok, so I see no other way, but to return my 920T to BestBuy and get one again when they are coming with the new maps...

d0nt_beli3ve_the_4ype: when do you expect the new 920T-s with 715 maps preloaded to hit the stores in Canada?

Thanks,

Chip

You are right - TT's policy is ridiculous. Since the NEW 715 maps are now available, anyone purchasing a new device should be entitled to ALL of the new maps and NOT just the USA series.

I purchased the 920 BECAUSE if offered BOTH US AND EUROPE. I should be entitled to updates for both of those maps since that is what I paid for.

I have now suggested to some friends that TT's customer service is not all that terrific. Word of mouth is strong advertising or NOT!

This might be funny if it weren't.

I guess since I just had both phone and email dealings with TT support my email address was grabbed:

Just a few minutes ago, I got a Survey from TT on Customer Service. I don't think they will like my replies. I told them that their update policies were poor and poorly documented and that I would not recommend them to friends - that was actually, a separate question - would I recommend!!!!

Oh, well, next week I may call them again. Someone, supposedly from TT, posted on another forum that their policies are suppose to be consistent and that calling for another Rep should not result in a different outcome. We shall see....

To answer the question about the 920T's with 715 maps...we don't control what the retaillers sell. I'm sure we've brgun manufacturing them already, but the manufacturers sell what they have first before they order new ones (obviously), so we can not control when the 920's with 715 maps will begin to be sold.

To answer the question about the 920T's with 715 maps...we don't control what the retaillers sell. I'm sure we've brgun manufacturing them already, but the manufacturers sell what they have first before they order new ones (obviously), so we can not control when the 920's with 715 maps will begin to be sold.

While I agree with that - that is where CUSTOMER SERVICE is important. CUSTOMERS (probably a company's most important asset) should be entitled to get the newest maps that are available at the time they purchase an item such as a gps with built-in maps. If the reputation of the company is - customer be damned, then purchasers may refrain from buying the product.

When a product is sold with a "leader" such as UPGRADE FREE FOR ONE YEAR, hidden limitations on that upgrade will not make for happy customers.

But this may just be my opinion.

Yeah, you're right and I do agree with you. I'm an employee, not a CEO. lol. But, as I said in a previous post, rules are rules...and basically the rules passed down to us from corporate headquarters is it's one map per unit. That's what we've gotta stick with.

Yeah, you're right and I do agree with you. I'm an employee, not a CEO. lol. But, as I said in a previous post, rules are rules...and basically the rules passed down to us from corporate headquarters is it's one map per unit. That's what we've gotta stick with.

Well, it's different rules in Europe then where there are users in British TT forums reporting they got BOTH European & North American 7.15 maps as updates.

Map Garuarantee for BOTH NA and EUR

Ok, so as in my previous post in this thread, I talked to TT support, received and installed the NA 7.15 map on my TT 920T. I finally got a memory card (the TT 920T does not have enough memory by itself to install the EUR 7.15 map) and the Europe 7.15 (which was always showing up in my latest map guarantee to begin with) downloaded and installed just fine onto my memory card.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but to answer the question about getting BOTH maps updated (NA and EUR)... YES you should be able to because I physically did it and didn't fork out any extra cash.

I will also be taking the "free map updates for a year" word for word and there should be nothing that TT support can say about it ie... only one map upgrade/downlad? The leaflet specifies Free for one year, new map releases. The front shows TOMTOM map share + New maps for 1 year. There will be some legal isssues with TT if they deny people updated map downloads ie.. 7.10 to 7.15 within a year as the leafet states.

I went throug all the cr*p with TT Customer Service. They were only willing to give the NA Map. I kept quoting verbatim from the certificate that came with the 920T that says all map updates. Finally they got fed up and I got elevated to level 2. Start the chant again, and finally I was given the EU maps as well. Definately some misleading words going on with the certificate.

ex-egll

I'm glad they gave the maps to you... they have no grounds to stand on to deny giving you the other maps. Policy change or not, we bought the TOMTOM units with a policy for free maps for one year... I have until February 2009. We just have to stand our grounds with our little leaflet entitlements!! LOL

I got to speak with a level 2 rep and he said that he could not give me the EU updates and I had to write to TT and pitch my complaint. I argued that it didnt specify that it was only for NA maps, and he replied that in Europe/UK that they cannot get the NA maps. How do you suggest I approach them again to get my EU updates. I am in the USAF and I told them that is why I purchased the 920, becuase I travel to Europe alot and wanted the compatibility.

I got to speak with a level 2 rep and he said that he could not give me the EU updates and I had to write to TT and pitch my complaint. I argued that it didnt specify that it was only for NA maps, and he replied that in Europe/UK that they cannot get the NA maps. How do you suggest I approach them again to get my EU updates. I am in the USAF and I told them that is why I purchased the 920, becuase I travel to Europe alot and wanted the compatibility.

I went through the same thing about a month ago but my 920 was less than 30 days old and after sending them a copy of my invoice & copy of map guarantee I received both 7.15 maps.

Ask a Question