new/current US model with sd slot?

TomTom Model(s)
one v2
my trusty old TToneV2 is due an upgrade when i go on holiday to the US later this year... so i've been looking for a new unit with some of the new features. and there seems to be a million and one models out there now compared to when i got my original unit (i think i had a choice of four TT models in total!)

but after having a couple of mates who have had the (slightly) newer TToneV3 units with no sd card slot, and their onboard storage becoming corrupted beyond repair, i'm wary of buying one that only has onboard memory.

plus, with the size of maps these days, expandability is a bonus. As i go to the US and europe quite regularly (as well as driving in the UK normally), it would be nice to be able to have both maps on the device instead of having to switch using TThome whenever i'm going away. which rules out the 2gb models.

from what i can gather, the via 1535TM has a micro sd slot in the base somewhere? last i read though, the current navcore doesnt use it though? is this still the case? are there any models that use removeable storage only nowadays?

the other option is the XXL WTE units (which IIRC have 4gb onboard storage but no sd slot?)...

what about traffic? if i buy a US model, will it work in the UK for traffic?

so what should i get? or should i just buy newer maps for my TToneV2 (it had an 8gb card in, so fits both US/UK and full east/west europe on) even though the battery is completely stuffed and it is as slow as hell to use...

cheers,
w.

The 1535 is a North American model and does have a sd card slot. A US model with LIVE traffic does not work in the UK but a model with the combo rds-tmc antenna/car charger will give you fm traffic in Europe as well as in North America.

You might wish to consider this model:
http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/go-live-1005-world/#tab:specifications

Maps of both NA and many European countries. A card slot. LIVE services won't work in NA but will in the European countries.

An additional combo rds-tmc antenna/car charger will get that kind of traffic in North America.

that looks like it fits my requirements, but is there a US equivalent model available? they seem considerably cheaper to buy in the US than the UK, so was hoping to pick one up on holiday next month rather than spend £250 on one...

the 1535 can be bought from walmart (refurb) for almost £200 cheaper than in the uk...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/TomTom-Re...ooth-and-Intuitive-Voice-Recognition/20742372

so should i get one whilst on holiday? if the microsd slot isnt working right now, is it likely to ever get sorted? (IIRC this was a problem 2 years ago and still shows no sign of being sorted?)

*edit*
for £200 less, im prepared to forego one or two features (like traffic) as long as the sd slot works ok

Last edited:
The SD is working on N3 devices with the latest application.

There is a 2535 WTE that has maps of North america nad Europe but does not have a sd slot.

The 1535 does have the sd slot and you can buy European maps for it (it only comes with NA maps) but be careful about refurbs in that often they do not come with Latest Map guarantees. Also the LIVE function won't work in Europe.

Finally, if you do buy a 1535 in the States, you may find the only computer voice available to you is a English_US (Samantha) voice.

thanks (again)

voice isnt a problem, as i'll just buy snoop dogg or brian blessed for it when i get home (snoop is my current voice and has done nicely for the last year)

maps, i can add at a later date (and will still be more recent than my old ttone), and with the sd card slot, i can add expansion for it when the maps grow even more

the LIVE thing is a bit of a worry, but at £200 cheaper than the uk, its a small price to pay. you mention that if i bought a european LIVE unit it would work over there, and in the US with an RDS cable/charger.... is there a way i can get live services running in the uk with some other adapter on the 1535??

even if i buy the new version of the 1535 it is £125 cheaper than the UK LIVE 1005

http://www.walmart.com/ip/TOMTOM-VIA-1535TM-5.0-GPS-w-Traffic-and-Lifetime-Map-Updates/16608504

No, LIVE services will never work between the two continents. Europe relies on Vodaphone whie the US uses AT&T and the networks aren't compatible.

In fact, LIVE services in the US don't work in Canada and vice versa.

so theres no way to hack it to pair via bluetooth with my phone and use the data connection on that instead of the built in data connection?

What you are describing is what used to be known as Plus Services for traffic in the States. That functionality is no longer supported.

The 1535 is a North American model and does have a sd card slot. A US model with LIVE traffic does not work in the UK but a model with the combo rds-tmc antenna/car charger will give you fm traffic in Europe as well as in North America.
Not to confuse, but the OP asked about the Via 1535, not the GO 1535 (Live).

Ask a Question