New Application (8.35) released for Go models - FM back

Another problem to report. Importing address book from phone to TT all I get is numerical numbers where there should be names!!

MVL, I've come to the conclusion I've got two choices: Concentrate on one single device, or just admit it now; You've a better detail guy than I am:). Excellent observational skills bro. Well done.

For the life of me, I cannot sign in into this website using IE with either IE 7 OR 8. Firefox is the only way I can sign in still....grr.. And I've tried hitting register after signing in in IE but that doesn't help... Firefox is the only way for me.

Anywho, I'm glad they decided add the FM transmitter feature back. I have it working without music playing. All I did was create a 22 min blank MP3 file, and have it set to repeat over and over. That's all you have to do if you want it working and don't want music playing.

Edit : Ohh and I forgot to mention, that now every time I hit "update" in TomTom Home, it shows an update of my Kate voice but in red letters right under it, it says "this cannot be installed on your device" but my voice works perfectly right now anyways, so an update is not needed. Not sure what that's all about..

Last edited:
For the life of me, I cannot sign in into this website using IE
Try finding the tomtomforums.com cookie and deleting it. Then log in again.

Edit : Ohh and I forgot to mention, that now every time I hit "update" in TomTom Home, it shows an update of my Kate voice but in red letters right under it, it says "this cannot be installed on your device" but my voice works perfectly right now anyways, so an update is not needed. Not sure what that's all about..
That's a known issue with people who had non-standard software on the x20 series. Try the following steps:
1) delete the entire loquendo folder
2) delete the entire voices folder
3) delete ttgo.bif in your root folder
4) uninstall & reinstall the application (see here)
5) see if you can download your voices

Post back if it works - I haven't tried this but in theory it should work.

All, I took a partial plunge and did a surgical upgrade to 8.350

I can confirm these on my 8.350-based TT730:
  • FM transmission of instructions, but only when playing music...
    Instructions also interupt audiobook playback and resumes at the left-off position fairly well. Nice.
  • Additional HOME disconnect required to see INTERNAL vs EXTERNAL memory.
    But sometimes it get confused, and calls both locations "harddrives," so you need to know your associated drive letters.

ARRRRGH!!!!! so I felt comfortable enough to do a proper upgrade and patch the bootloader to 5.120.

Now I'm getting the screen flicker that everyone's complaining about..... when the map moves it appears that new roads are drawn, then the old ones are erased a split second later. So your eyes see both old and new for a split second.

I should have left well enough alone. Well one more item for the bug list.

Edit: On the upside, browse mode is much smoother. I think Tomtom put road drawing on a separate low priority thread, so that it doesn't get in the way of map moving.

Also, my battery ran out and the Tomtom shut off while showing 40% power left with app 8.350 and bootloader 5.5015. Now the battery meter works properly with 5.5120.

I'm also noticing more reliable data reconnects with my RAZR2, even before the bootloader upgrade. Not perfect reconnects, but better than 8.302.

Last edited:
Guys,

Here is my experience in NZ. I, and my father both have the GO730, purchased only 1 week ago.

Not working prior to 8.350
  • Speed Camera intermittent - sometime saw then, sometimes played voice
  • Advanced Lane - just wont work in NZ
  • FM BUG
  • Speech recognition

Not working AFTER 8.350
  • Speed Camera intermittent - sometime saw then, sometimes played voice
  • Advanced Lane - just wont work in NZ
  • Speech recognition
  • ...and NOW - no voice in demo mode
  • Truncation of TTS name, i.e prior , when approaching "SH1 on Bombay Hills - Entry 471" , it said exactly that, now it just says "SH1"

I am getting to the end of my wits with this pice of $h1T

Hey fellow Kiwi. Despite what they advertise there's still no voice recognition for NZ maps. I've had a look at the lastest 8.25 and they are not in there.
You're right we don't have ALG either.
I once had trouble with voices. I had to move to LoquendoTTS 7 but needed to include a couple of TTS6 files as well in the TTS7\lib folder (LoqAudioBoard.so file for V6.9x voices) and in the \bin folder had to put (LTTS7AudioBoard.so, for v6.9x voices). Then it all worked.

I'm now getting alot of mistakes when the TT730 gives advance warnings. The screen shows turn right, then turn right and the voice will say turn right, then turn left. I saw it happen many times yesterday. I guess it doesn't matter that much though, because with the volume decrease, at 100%, I can just barely hear it anyway.....

One thing for people to note:

You had to increase the volume slider 20% to maintain the same volume when changing from the unauthorized 8.204 or 8.310 apps to the official 8.302 app (on a GO x20/x30).

You again had to increase the volume slider 20% to maintain the same volume when changing from 8.302 to 8.350. I suspect this was a response to the severe distortion that the x20/x30s experienced when on the highest volume levels on battery (probably a hardware amperage limitation).

The new max volume is the highest point where the x20/x30 doesn't distort.

So as a result if anyone is moving from 8.204/8.310 to the 8.350 level, they will have to increase the volume slider a whopping 40% just to maintain the same volume.

I'm not sure if the same thing happens on the 740. I suspect the 740 may have improved speaker hardware which is why 740 software can be set so high. I haven't seen complaints from x40 users so app 8.350 may identify the hardware model, and leave the volume range unchanged on an x40.

Edit: I stopped at a Best Buy today, and the 740 with app 8.312 is about 30% louder at the same volume than the 720 app 8.350. So we're really getting a much quieter device with the new software.

Last edited:
For the life of me, I cannot sign in into this website using IE with either IE 7 OR 8. Firefox is the only way I can sign in still....grr.. And I've tried hitting register after signing in in IE but that doesn't help... Firefox is the only way for me.

Anywho, I'm glad they decided add the FM transmitter feature back. I have it working without music playing. All I did was create a 22 min blank MP3 file, and have it set to repeat over and over. That's all you have to do if you want it working and don't want music playing.

Is there any way, I can get the mp3 file you've created. ..? Sir..?

Another problem to report. Importing address book from phone to TT all I get is numerical numbers where there should be names!!

Ditto... I have a Motorola Krazer K1M... now the phonebook is useless

Anyone have a workaround other than manually editing the text file as I have about 50 or so phone numbers to work with?

I don't know whether this'll work or not.

Another poster said that after the upgrade alll his contacts seemed to be wiped out.

He reset his unit, not once, but twice, and they reappeared on his unit.

So, worth a shot, I guess.............

It looks like the update has been withdrawn. No longer being offered to me this morning. If it's been pulled, seems to confirm there really are issues with this app update. Home update still offered tho.

Odd. . . 8.350 is offered to my 930, but not 740 with current version 8.312. Update to the 930 went smoothly.

Another poster suggested it was perhaps a server problem. Unlikely tho, since the 930 updated just fine. I checked for 8.350 for the 740 both shortly before and after applying the app to my 930. Just not there. I'm checking with another 740 owner to confirm 8.350 isn't offered.

Support confirms that 8.350 should not be installed on (at least) the NA version 740's. Applies only to the x20 and x30's. He did not know why it was no longer available for the 740, just that as of today you should not be offered it.

Last edited:
I found one more fix in 8.350:

When you do "Navigate to" the address database now includes any new road names that were changed via mapshare.

In another thread a poster said after the update his 720 is referred to as a 530 via all sources.

Anyone else notice if there version of TomTom changed in there menu's? I imagine it can easily over looked...

Who in the world is writing the software for these applications? Its like picking your poison when updating the applications on these things. Is the gain of proper operation to functions that werent working worth the loss of functions that currently work to stop working?

Microsoft sued TomTom awhile back, was the settlement that Microsoft programmers would have to program for TomTom? Thats what it seems like anyway...

Ask a Question