new 930 owner

Hi all

just wanna say that I bought 930 unit as a replacemtn for my stolen Garmin 330. After 3 months of intensive usage I can say good and bad stuff. Maybe someone will find it interesting.
First of all, I was looking for a way to get cheap maps for Europe and North America. Only TomTom could make a good offer and that's why I bought 930.
But, after this I wanted to upgrade to the latest maps, and couldn't do it for Europe, and since I was in hurry with my trip to EU I had to buy them at additional cost. After I talked with support they told me they can't make a refund, and that's bad. For the same price I could get a Garmin and buy the maps. The only reason I prefer garmin over TomTom is because of the LCD brightness. At 930 it really sucks even when compared with my old Garmin 330. Here in Arizona we have lot of sun, and the display can hardly be seen.
oh, a good word about lane guidance, it works very good in Europe, tested in Italy, Hungary, Slovenia. always worked good. However here in Arizona never saw it working.
The next good and think are maps. The good is, they are really up to date. The bad, some of them are too up-to-date, and some roads arround my house are shown in red, like they would be blocked, that's not true. After I tried to unblock them 930 couldn't get me on them, I guess a bug.
So, after all this, if you ask me, if I'd buy it again, hm, not sure, I'd rather go with Garmin, unless TomTom fixed the problem with LCD screen brightness.

Have fun.

EugenUS,

Sorry you had some problems with your GO930.

I too had problems updating the European map on my GO930. I sent an email to Customer Support and the next day they had placed an updated version on my account so it was ready to download when I logged on.

Having owned and used a Garmin for many years, I see the good and bad of both, but overall I am satisfied with my GO930.

Shooter

Screen brightness....

I have Tom Tom 930 and I am happy with it the only problem is the screen it really sucks no sharpness at all.I thought 930 is the new and improved but tomtom didn't fix the screen contrast problem.:eek:

Ask a Question