New 920, Device Linking To Account Problem

Just got my new 920 and when I connected it to Home it prompted me to link the new device to my existing account which I did and then went ahead and backed up the unit, and did the updates that were available except for the "latest map guarantee". So firmware wise the unit is now up to date.

However now when I try to log in with the 920 connected to my PC it says that I have to link the 920 to my account (which I already did the first time it was connected to my PC). I try and do it but it tells me I can only link a new device to my account every 6 months. Huh? The last time I linked a new device to my account was 18 months ago so my 920 was obviously registered on my account in some way or another. Anyone had this issue before? Did upgrading the firmware to version 8.010 change the device code somehow?

Nothing changes the device code.

i did not runimnto this when i linked my 920, but had other problems when trying to get my Plus services working with the new device.

You might go to TomTom.com under support and select your device and change the device code there also - if it will let you.

If that does not work, call support and they can help you - they can override the 6 month flag and guide you through the process again.

When I assigned my 920 to my existing account, it took the first time - lucky I guess.

Just got my new 920 and when I connected it to Home it prompted me to link the new device to my existing account which I did and then went ahead and backed up the unit, and did the updates that were available except for the "latest map guarantee". So firmware wise the unit is now up to date.

However now when I try to log in with the 920 connected to my PC it says that I have to link the 920 to my account (which I already did the first time it was connected to my PC). I try and do it but it tells me I can only link a new device to my account every 6 months. Huh? The last time I linked a new device to my account was 18 months ago so my 920 was obviously registered on my account in some way or another. Anyone had this issue before? Did upgrading the firmware to version 8.010 change the device code somehow?

You may need to actually call customer support to have them link it at their end. I had a similar situation (selected the same linking button you did from HOME) and the next time I tried to connect, it wouldn't.

What if I was to simply create a new account? Would that give me issues sine the 920 is already in some way or another, linked to my existing account?

What if I was to simply create a new account? Would that give me issues sine the 920 is already in some way or another, linked to my existing account?

That might work, but be warned that anything linked to your old account won't be linked to the new one.

For example, when I called up for my latest map guarantee, I had to follow the same procedure everyone else did....I had to fax a copy of my receipt. No problem.

Well, the way they 'added the map to my account' was they linked it to my account with my email address. Then when I plugged in the 920 the next time and it looked for updates, it saw I had a newer map waiting for me. I did NOT use (nor can I use) the LATEST MAP GUARANTEE link that is in the menu...it will always tell me I have the latest map.

This means, if I were to login with a new account, I'd probably be able to connect fine with my 920, but the new maps aren't linked to that account and I'd need to call them anyway to fix that.

Last edited:
I called support yesterday about this for my new 720 I just got yesterday. Support is having trouble link/resetting devices at the moment. I called in for them to link my new 720 to my account which used to have a ONE XL. It kept asking if I wanted to link and replace the ONE XL I had in there. No luck. Gave me a message about a 6 month window thingy. I called in 3 different times for 3 different resets/re-links and eventually they told me to call back in a few days since their systems have been having trouble linking/re-setting devices. I asked them "can I just create a new account under a new email address?" and they said "That would work out perfectly and would avoid any of these hassles. I would do that instead"

I created a new tomtom account under a different email and everything has been as smooth as butter since. Just make sure that if you purchase any new maps or anything that they link it to the new account. They were able to perfectly add map 810 for LMG to my new account.
Remember, this isn't what "I think is best," this is straight from what tech support told me.

I downloaded my map 810 through LMG after faxing them my receipt today on my newly created account.

Last edited:
I called support yesterday about this for my new 720 I just got yesterday. Support is having trouble link/resetting devices at the moment. I called in for them to link my new 720 to my account which used to have a ONE XL. It kept asking if I wanted to link and replace the ONE XL I had in there. No luck. Gave me a message about a 6 month window thingy. I called in 3 different times for 3 different resets/re-links and eventually they told me to call back in a few days since their systems have been having trouble linking/re-setting devices. I asked them "can I just create a new account under a new email address?" and they said "That would work out perfectly and would avoid any of these hassles. I would do that instead"

I created a new tomtom account under a different email and everything has been as smooth as butter since. Just make sure that if you purchase any new maps or anything that they link it to the new account. They were able to perfectly add map 810 for LMG to my new account.
Remember, this isn't what "I think is best," this is straight from what tech support told me.

I downloaded my map 810 through LMG after faxing them my receipt today on my newly created account.

Hmm, interesting. So you didn't have any problems with the new account and your 720 and fact that you originally tired to link it to your old account? When you did try to link it at first to you old account did it give the impression that it had worked?

I got the same response from TOMTOM tech support when I called them yesterday. I had them reset it each time I ran updates on my new 920. Not my fault their systems were messed up, so I kept calling them to reset my device until it was done updating. Now I can just link it to my existing account once they are back up and going.

Hmm, interesting. So you didn't have any problems with the new account and your 720 and fact that you originally tired to link it to your old account? When you did try to link it at first to you old account did it give the impression that it had worked?

Nope. The first time I tried linking it wouldn't let me. So I called, they linked, was able to update once, closed home, reopened, wouldn't link again, re-called, etc. Creating new email fixed everything.

I got the same response from TOMTOM tech support when I called them yesterday. I had them reset it each time I ran updates on my new 920. Not my fault their systems were messed up, so I kept calling them to reset my device until it was done updating. Now I can just link it to my existing account once they are back up and going.

LOL! You called them EACH time?? :) I bet if you go to tomtom.com and log in, then click on "My TomTom" then "my questions" you will see each call.

LOL! You called them EACH time?? :) I bet if you go to tomtom.com and log in, then click on "My TomTom" then "my questions" you will see each call.

I just used the same trouble ticket number each time. It's still in unresolved status. Waiting until tomorrow morning to call to see if they can fix it then.

Well I got it to work by just creating a new account. Did the latest map guarantee and it gave me the v.810 maps for north america and western europe. The only problem is that the europe map will now not fit on my device by about 21mb. I've deleted what I can but has anyone else run into this issue?

I'm surprised you came that close to fitting both on the unit. I'd suggest getting a sdhc card (2 or 4 gigs) and put 1 map on it.

Ask a Question