New 8.25 maps - No new app

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 930
Some of our British friends reported the new 8.25 maps are now being offered. But no new application software was released, indicating it's using the same flawed navcore version we've all come to know and love. No announcement of a North American map subscription was made either.

There is now a NA_2GB 8.25 map offered for $90 US instead of the $130 (I think) US that the 8.15 NA map cost.

But, as you point out...................no NA map subscription.......:eek::rolleyes::(

Anyone successfully able to "pretend" they were from the UK in Home and get the map subscription? Does Tomtom block non-UK addresses or credit cards?

OK, I'll be the first one to bite the bullet and ask: what the hell did change with this new version? I find their way of avoiding mentioning changes VERY annoying (at least, until a couple of versions ago they used to give vague statements like "300 km of new roads mapped for New Brunswick").

Who knows? Seeing as 815 had NO ALG for ANY Canadian roads whatsoever, I wouldn't expect 825 to suddenly include it.

OK, I'll be the first one to bite the bullet and ask: what the hell did change with this new version? I find their way of avoiding mentioning changes VERY annoying (at least, until a couple of versions ago they used to give vague statements like "300 km of new roads mapped for New Brunswick").
Agreed! I'd be much more willing to buy their latest, if I knew it would improve my local driving experience.

I see they changed the Flash app's graphics on the Map Insight page last month, but there are few, if any, changes in my area.

It appears to becoming more likely that we will not be offered a subscription.:(

I was talking to TT support this am and am D/L N/A 8.25 as I am typing.I will lett you all know if I see ALG avaiable in Canada when I have it insatlled.

I asked support about the rumour on being offered a subscription for N/A customers.
She told me that it wasn't a rumour it is going to be offered but didn't know the release date yet.

It would be nice if they had something like Garmin does, where you can view the maps online to see if there are any changes in the areas you are interested in. I know right now, where I go there isn't likely to be much I'd be interested in. The street I live on isn't on the map, but on most days I can find my way home without a GPS....LOL

A few years back I was contemplating buying new maps for my 60CSx and because I was able to check online I found that it would benefit me and went ahead and did it. I would think that TomTom might see an increase in sales by doing that?

J

Garcor, I guess my followup question would be why a subscription wasn't offered with the latest update? Paying full price for a single map now, then in a month finding a map subscription offered instead would kind of torque me. If handled the same as Euro version, they charge first to bring you to the latest map, then charge an additional subscription rate for one year, which may get you three updates or four, depending on the timing of the releases. In a nutshell, it would cost you less (the update to latest map is pro-rated currently) to update to the latest map once a subscription is offered.

Last edited:
How often are maps updated?

Just a general question about the new maps (I'm sure that this has been asked before).

I see that they have the Canada v8.25 maps available on the TT American site now (I was waiting for the update to come out myself). My question is, how often does TT updates the maps?

they charge first to bring you to the latest map, then charge an additional subscription rate for one year, which may get you three updates or four, depending on the timing of the releases. In a nutshell, it would cost you less (the update to latest map is pro-rated currently) to update to the latest map once a subscription is offered.
Still, this is nowhere near the "numaps lifetime subscription" Garmin is offering for their devices. For (roughly) the same amount of money, TomTom only offers a yearly subscription. As I keep my GPSes in use for several years before buying new ones (and I don't think I'm in a minority here)... well, you do the math.

Normally, about 4 times per year. The 825 NA map was released today.

So, the next update might be in July or something? If so, I'll get mine now,, 'cos I'm making a trip upto Canada in May and I need it for then, but wanted to wait to make sure I got the most up-to-date map.

from support

from phone support and take this for a grain of salt, he said that if you buy a update now and you see the subscription soon latter that their would be a price difference for new or older subscriotions.. Believe this if you will but personally I would NOT because they never tell the truth and the right hand doesn't know what the left hand does.

It would be nice if they had something like Garmin does, where you can view the maps online to see if there are any changes in the areas you are interested in. I know right now, where I go there isn't likely to be much I'd be interested in. The street I live on isn't on the map, but on most days I can find my way home without a GPS....LOL

A few years back I was contemplating buying new maps for my 60CSx and because I was able to check online I found that it would benefit me and went ahead and did it. I would think that TomTom might see an increase in sales by doing that?

J

Go to the "map corrections" section of teleatlas.com. You will be shown the latest teleatlas map available, and you can see if your street is there. If it isn't then it definitely won't be in the tomtom map.

If it's on the teleatlas website, there is still a slight chance it hasn't made it onto the tomtoms yet (teleatlas is about 3-6 months ahead of tomtom). You can post the street here and other users can check it out for you.

Wait, I called TomTom support around 11am this morning asking for the latest map guarantee. They gave me 8.15 maps. Shouldn't they have given me 8.25 maps instead??

Interesting. I checked TT Home, and they have version 825.2159 for sale. It's 764 MB. I've got 815.2022 on my One 125. It's 764 MB.

Is it normal for a new map to be 30 MB smaller than the previous version?

I'm not saying this is the case here but TomTom has been known to use more robust compression algorithms when it comes to poi's for later maps than earlier ones. More info, less space.

Also.....some maps have had LESS detail (rivers, etc.) included than earlier maps so that the map could still fit within the size of the storage unit and also include new mapping details (new roads, etc.)

Interesting. Thanks, dhn.

I'm not planning on downloading it though. I think before I spend $69.95 to upgrade something I just bought for $99.95, I'll just wait a year or so and buy an upgraded version. In a way, paying that much reminds me of buying the extended warranty for $14.95 for a product I paid $19.95 for. Not too great a return on my investment.

Ask a Question