New 730 maybe

I posted this question in the general and didn't get a answer about the numbers on the bottom of the unit so here it is again. I bought a 730 on ebay that said "New" but when I received it, the book that was sealed said 720 on the top of the pages. I looked at the bottom of the unit and at the end of the serial number it has GO520 did I get taken or does some of you guys out there have that on yours. I haven't been home to put the disc in the computer or turn the unit on yet. I need to know before I get a hold of the seller to complain. Thanks in advance, Joe :confused:

Just looked at my unit and what is says in the serial number site is what I have and matches the model numbers on the documentation.

Thank you

I figured. My first time getting taken on ebay, but he only lives a state away, Might have to go and pay him a visit!! I will see what he says when he emails me, Been a day and haven't heard from him yet! Thanks for the confirmation, but I figured as much. Was al excited to get it too.
Joe :mad:

Depending on the company your credit card may offer you some protection. I have challenged a purchase on ebay because I did not get what I ordered. I only had to return the merchandise and after it was in the mail the cc company reversed the charges. The other party can appeal but if you can prove you did not get what you were told you would be receiving you might have a good argument. Check with them if you get no response from the seller.

Thank you

Thanks drledger,
I received an email back from the seller who said he got it from a friend and he was told it was new! He said if I power it on it should show that it is a 730. He said his friend told him there was no GO500 series. Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought they had them in the discontinued item section. I am not at home to try and hook it up to my computer, so can I charge it in my car and turn it on to find the serial number and other info that will help me out? Any additional info you guys can give me is appreciated.
Thanks, Joe

Charge the unit for a while then use a paperclip to reset the device, the hole for the reset switch is on the base of the device.
Press and hold the on/ off button until the device shows a black screen with white text, the second line will detail the device model - Mike

I figured. My first time getting taken on ebay, but he only lives a state away, Might have to go and pay him a visit!! I will see what he says when he emails me, Been a day and haven't heard from him yet! Thanks for the confirmation, but I figured as much. Was al excited to get it too.
Joe :mad:
My TomTom says G0 720 on the bottom next the the reset button as well.

If you have been taken, make sure and file a dispute with eBay. If the item was bought trough PayPal and they offered payment protection, you should have little problems getting your money back. Unfortunately, from what it sounds like this was a private seller and not one of the mega-sellers that usually offers payment protection; I don't know what would happen then.

Good Luck.

Please keep us updated on the status of your situation. I think the "got it from a friend" defense is probably an insight. I hope that you got what you paid for but if indeed it is not and the seller "got if from a friend" then the "friend" out to reimburse the guy. At least he responded. Did he give you an indication of his course of action if the unit turns out to be bogus. Mike has given you the definitive solution to determine model number. Again, post back to keep us updated.

Check the bottom of your device again....

I just recieved a 730 myself and on the right hand side when looking at the bottom the code almost led me to believe it wasn't but look to the right hand side and you will see the proper id...

Also TomTom home should recognize it as a GO 730.

Cheers
TJ

Ask a Question