Neighborhood not on map...

Hello all,

New TomTom owner... My family has recently moved into a new development. As I'm becoming familiar with my new TomTom ONE 3rd Edition, it seems that the development has not yet made the maps, although you can find it on Google Maps, Mapquest, etc.

How often are maps updated by TomTom?

I noticed that I have the USA and Canada maps installed by default. What's the purpose it purchasing regional maps (ie, Midwest Region map). Shouldn't I already have the Midwest maps as a part of the USA and Canada?

Thanks!

Hello all,

New TomTom owner... My family has recently moved into a new development. As I'm becoming familiar with my new TomTom ONE 3rd Edition, it seems that the development has not yet made the maps, although you can find it on Google Maps, Mapquest, etc.

How often are maps updated by TomTom?

I noticed that I have the USA and Canada maps installed by default. What's the purpose it purchasing regional maps (ie, Midwest Region map). Shouldn't I already have the Midwest maps as a part of the USA and Canada?

Thanks!
The regional maps have more details, such as more POI's, shows parks and lakes on the maps, but I believe the road data will be the same. So buying a regional map probably won't make your neighborhood show up. I have the exact same problem even with the v7 maps, and I just have to use a nearby cross street to mark as home.

For the record what version map do you currently have? Plus, can you share with us the location of your neighborhood? So we can check this ourselves? You don't need to give us an exact home address, just a nearby cross street will do fine. (Don't worry, I won't be coming along to knock on your door the next day.)

my home address is not listed as well... the cross streets are:

SW 85th Passage & SW 214 Ln
Cutler Bay, Florida 33189

how do I add it to the system so I can "find my way home"

Squeak...

For the record what version map do you currently have? Plus, can you share with us the location of your neighborhood? So we can check this ourselves? You don't need to give us an exact home address, just a nearby cross street will do fine. (Don't worry, I won't be coming along to knock on your door the next day.)

My current map is 'USA_and_Canada' v710.1575

The nearest cross street in the neighborhood would be Davenport Drive and Glen Lakes Drive in Louisville, KY. Both of these streets are in the development and neither appear. I suppose the most help would be the nearest major road, which is Flat Rock Road.

with a name like krazy jeff i would be pretty scared hahaha:eek:

my home address is not listed as well... the cross streets are:

SW 85th Passage & SW 214 Ln
Cutler Bay, Florida 33189

how do I add it to the system so I can "find my way home"

Squeak...
I was able to find SW 85th Passage (but it did have a red X on it).

You can add your missing street by: (I have never done it, but I just followed the below steps on mine (One LE), and it seemed quite easy)
  1. Go to the Main Menu
  2. Now go to Main Menu 2 of 3
  3. select Map corrections
  4. select Correct a map error
  5. select Report other error
  6. select Missing Street
  7. now standing in front of your home, select Near you
  8. now select the start of the missing street
  9. Now click Done
  10. Now select the end of the missing street
  11. click Done
  12. And that should be it.. just follow the rest of the guidelines it instructs you, like naming the street and etc.. be sure to select that you wish to share this information with others.. so we can find you--if I do swing by, I'll bring a six pack.

Let us know when you did this and then hooked up your TT to the HOME software and you have uploaded your corrections. I want to see how long it takes for us to see your correction. Thanks in advance.

The nearest cross street in the neighborhood would be Davenport Drive and Glen Lakes Drive in Louisville, KY. Both of these streets are in the development and neither appear. I suppose the most help would be the nearest major road, which is Flat Rock Road.
Yes, I could not locate your cross street. I can see Flat Rock Rd, but that's it. Maybe adding the missing two streets? Follow the steps I have above to another forum member. see what happens.

it's not on the north american 710 which I believe would be the current most detailed map for our side of the pond, so I expect you're out of luck for a while.

We were at our son's house for Christmas when I opened the TT, his development is new I just added it as a new Favorite, no an address. I am guessing you can do that for Home. No address just a "marker"..... It worked for me.

Jim

Jim101, let us know if this works. Basically, when at the house, the map must have shown your location in the middle of a blank space. And you saved the GPS position. From what you wrote, I don't think a road was shown.(?)

I think that you will have trouble navigating to this point, as it is "off road". The TomTom, however, wants to always 'snap' to the closest road. It is not designed for off road tasks. People have tried marking where their cars are in the middle of big parking lots, but it didn't work for them.

Anyway, let us know if it works.

Jim,

I have the same issue, and you are correct in that it does not like to go off road and when I want to navigate away from the point, it gets very confused on how to get on the main road. I have yet to figure out a solution to this.

Yesterday I went to a Best Buy that is new, after I left the BB I turned on the TT and it had a "dashed line" from the parking lot to the main road, once on the main road the TT took me home. I still think the GPS Coordinates in the TT will get you out and also mark where you are if your house is not on the TT maps....

Jim

Let us know when you did this and then hooked up your TT to the HOME software and you have uploaded your corrections. I want to see how long it takes for us to see your correction. Thanks in advance.

I added "Glen Lakes Drive" this evening and have uploaded the correction. I attempted to add "Davenport Drive", but accidentilly cancelled out of the wizard on the TT. The toddler in the back of the car needed to get home :) so I'll try again tomorrow.

We'll see how long it takes!

Flyer,

I'm just not getting it for some reason.....If the GPS coordinates know where you are, and you mark it, why can't it get you back to those coordinates??
I'm gonna have to play with it tomorrow....

Jim

Unfortunately it can only route using roads. If you're trying to navigate to a marked spot which is off road, it cannot make a route.

On a recent trip and not knowing this I marked my car in a motel parking lot and then we went merrily on shopping not worrying about finding our way back....when we decided to return the tomtom couldn't route us there.

in cases like this you have to mark a spot on the street near the motel or your home etc.

Ask a Question