Need some help with ONE - Thinks I'm in Guam

I received my TomTom ONE at Christmas of last year. Since then, it has worked fine and I've used it frequently.

Recently, I tried to update to the newest version of the TomTom application onto my device. I used the Backup feature on TomTom HOME in case anything went wrong. Of course, after downloading and installing the newest application, my TomTom would just freeze on start up. So I used the restore option to restore the settings that I had just backed up before downloading the nest application.

However, to my dismay, after doing this TomTom is stuck on the Guam map. I went into preferences, maps, and then switch maps, but the ONLY map available is Guam. It is not showing the US map, or any other map on the device. It also does not let me access my home destination or favorites.

Has anyone had this problem? Anyone know how it can be fixed?

Thanks,

Katie, Rhode Island, USA

I received my TomTom ONE at Christmas of last year. Since then, it has worked fine and I've used it frequently.

Recently, I tried to update to the newest version of the TomTom application onto my device. I used the Backup feature on TomTom HOME in case anything went wrong. Of course, after downloading and installing the newest application, my TomTom would just freeze on start up. So I used the restore option to restore the settings that I had just backed up before downloading the nest application.

However, to my dismay, after doing this TomTom is stuck on the Guam map. I went into preferences, maps, and then switch maps, but the ONLY map available is Guam. It is not showing the US map, or any other map on the device. It also does not let me access my home destination or favorites.

Has anyone had this problem? Anyone know how it can be fixed?

Thanks,

Katie, Rhode Island, USA

From your backup, copy the MapSettings.cfg from the map folder to the map folder on the unit using Explorer.

Now, try a pin reset of the unit and see if that helps.

Where does TomTom Home store its backups? I didn't back up the files manually, I just used the Backup option in TomTom Home.

I should probably add that the folder for the USA and Canada maps are still on the device, but for some reason TomTom is not seeing them. After removing the Guam map folder (i just moved it onto my computer to see what would happen), TomTom says there are no maps on the device.

Re Loss of Maps

I have had similar problems. Sometimes it seems that things get corrupted when you write to the unit. I would try starting from scratch. Reformat the SD card as FAT. Load your backup on it. You can load all the directories and files from the backup location without Home. I would suggest using a SD card slot if you have one. I have also used the flash tool that TomTom provides. Do a search here and you should find it. I ran it three times per the instructions. I got my unit working again.

I did have to return a unit because my SD card was getting corrupted every time I used my One to write to it. If I used the computer SD slot it was OK.

Mike

Ask a Question