Need help in Navigating with TT1

This is my first post here and if this is not the right place please let me know. I just enter my first trip in my TT1 and I go to this certian place every year and I thought I 'd see what the TT1 would pick. It chose a different route and it was longer and I also chose to recalc and it wasn't much better. I was wondering, If there is a way to enter the routes that I normally use instead of letting the TT1 chose it. Also I don't see it but maybe I over looked it to, If there is a place on the forum for a " How to" like where you could get answers on how to use your TT1. ...Etc.... Thanks....

Yes, there is a way. You have to make an Itinerary (Look in the 'Preferences' section). This can be saved and recalled whenever you wish.

When making an itinerary, just be sure that the steps along the way are classified as 'waypoints' with only the final one marked as 'destination'.

So what you are saying is set up a favorite first and then the itinerary will automaticly pit them up. Heres a example of what I will be travling from.

Charleston Wv to mytrle beach.

I take 77 south to NC

Exit left at Mt Airy and hit 74 east
stay on highway to winston salem and take exit 109A (40east) to Greensboro then take exit 218A(220 south to Rockingham ( I stay on 220 through rockingham 220 end then turn into 1 south.

then I take exit 319 to bennetesville turn right on 38 south.
I stay on 38 towards Dillen/Mairion
then turn right on 501 So. to Myrtle beach.

Maybe this will help. If someone can help me program this ito my TT1.
Like I said above I'm new to this and really need all the help I can. I thank all who has help so far.. Thanks everyone !!!

Throughout your route, set up favorites which you want your unit to travel through.

You can easily do this by selecting browse maps and manually selecting the favorites there.

instead of an itinerary you can also just let TT make the route then you can choose alt route and "travel via"

Ok guys I'm stuck here and I need help please...Can someone get me started with step by step instructions. For example with the route above,I've tryed to do the favorite and the find alternative... travle via and I'm really confused. Sorry for the trouble...Thanks again. I Know nothing about this thing, but I really would like to so I could help someone else.

Press 'Itinerary planning'. Then press 'Add', 'Point on map' (on the 2nd page). Browse the map to find your first waypoint.

Zoom in very close to place the cursor exactly on the road. (Pay attention on larger highways that you don't place the cursor in the lanes going in the other direction!). Press 'Done'.

Press 'Add' and repeat adding your next waypoint.

When you have got them all in, make sure that only the final waypoint is marked as a destination (checkered flag). Change all preceding entries to waypoints by highlighting each one and selecting 'Mark as waypoint'. Also make sure that the items are in the correct order!

When finished, press 'Options' and select 'Save Itinerary'. At a future time, you can call it up by choosing 'Load Itinerary'.

Thanks,, I did what you said and it worked. Thanks All Again. When you say place your curser over the one point you want. Does this let you move your curser like you do on your computor. I didn't think you would be able to do this.

Last edited:
Ok guys I'm stuck here and I need help please...

jeff, you will always find help on this site... always. TomTom wasn't too great on getting manuals out but if you look at my signature or Pedro's you will find a link o the manuals. This will also help out a bit too.

enjoy your Tomtom!!

..It chose a different route and it was longer and I also chose to recalc and it wasn't much better...
It probably chose this route because it believes it is faster, not because it is shorter. I believe the default planning option is 'fastest route'. This is almost always never the shortest route.

You can choose to plan via the shortest route if you want, but use with caution. It might try to route you down some very questionable small back roads to save you 50yards in distance. It will probably take far, far longer following the 'shortest route', but it will be the shortest route.

My advice? Stick to the fastest route. It will give you the fastest route.

Ask a Question