Need help figuring out file/folders locations! :(

I just got a TomTom ONE (I think XL) (4EE0.001.00) no card slot, silver all around screen, with the built in mount disc.

So, I plugged it in to my computer, downloaded TomTom HOME and all seemed fine until I ejected it and got the big red X that won't go away. I saw in a different site a thread with instructions to delete all files except the folders. I made the mistake of moving to the trash the files INSIDE the subfolders, until I realized I probably shouldn't have done that. Now, I still have all the files (didn't empty the trash) and am moving them out of the trash to be safe. BUT, I have no idea where they go back now. I know, it was dumb of me. =/

Can someone post a screenshot of the folder drilldown so I can see where the different files go and put them back in their respective folder? Please, oh, pretty please?! Now, I started moving the files from bottom to top on the list of folders (ordered alphabetically) so I only need to know about folders "help me" down to "voices" and their respective subfolders as well.

I'd then have to try and reinstall HOME and see if it gets rid of the X and starts up again.

Thank you thank you!

Last edited:
When you moved them out of the trash, isn't there a 'restore' button to put them back from where they came?

Here are the screenshots of the files I need figuring out where they go inside the TomTom folder (2 files of list of files only) And also the screenshot of the TomTom folder and its subfolders.

Can someone help me figure out where all these different files (from pictures 4 and 5) go into the folder of picture 3?

THANKS!

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,407
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,165
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,059
Wow, I guess this forum reduces the attachment sizes to tiny illegible size... Here's a list of the files I need to figure out where they go back on the TomTom device folders....

Anyone? Pleeeeease?

Application.tlv
birthday.txt
clear.gif
cline.dat
cname.dat
cnode.dat
data04.chk ----> many files like this, but with diff. #s in the file name, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 16, 44, 45
data04.vif ----> many files like this, but with diff. #s in the file name, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 16, 44, 45
faces.dat
GNU General Public License.txt
GPL-offer.txt
image.ini
image.ver
index_ca.html
index_cs.html
index_da 09-48-26.html ---> many files like this one, with different letters after index, I assume for languages: de, en, es, fi, fr, hu, it, lv, nl.... to zh
index_da.html ---> many files like this one, with different letters after index, I assume for languages: de, en, es, fi, fr, hu, it, lv, nl.... to zh
index.html
local.ini
mapinfo.dat
MapServerPatch.dat
MD5_license.txt
ogg-vorbis_(tremor-variable)_license.txt
P.ddf
PA.jar
PatchFilter.dat
poi.dat
Read Me First.txt
ServerLineIndex.dat
ServerNameIndex.dat
tables.dat
tmccodes.dat
traffic.dat

The folder structure inside my TomTom device looks like this:

contacts
ephem
gl > log
gns
helpme > flags
help me > medical > images
help me > other > car
help me > other > IMAGES
help me > other > trafficrules
help me > other > travelinfo > images
home images
itn
licenses
logging
maps
poi
program
sounds
TomTom-Cfg
USA_and_Canada > brand
voices

Can anyone make a screenshot of their TomTom (v4) contents list and post? Any help, I'd appreciate it. THANKS!!

The firmware files are free and the Home program will reload them.

Your biggest concern, however, is the map folder 'USA_Canada'. This is NOT free and costs a lot of money to replace. The good news, however, is that I see most of the map files in your list.

cline.dat
cname.dat
cnode.dat
cphoneme.dat
faces.dat
mapinfo.dat
poi.dat
tables.dat
tmccodes.dat
traffic.dat
USA_and_Canada.pna
USA_and_Canada-7.meta (you may not have a '7')
USA_and_Canada-7.meta.dct

(However, I don't see the last 3 in your list, and these are crucial!!)

Copy these files back into the 'USA_Canada' folder.
You can delete all the other folders, as they are part of the firmware.

Connect your unit to the computer and Home should download new firmware files.

Thanks so much! I moved those files over, and yes, I did have those usa_canada map ones already back in that folder since those I sorta figured out go in there.

I still have a few .dat files out there, though... do you know where those go? I'm afraid to delete them... =/ Also, one called "application.tlv" where does that go? Which are firmware files you mention? The .vif ones?

Well, I tried relaunching HOME with those moved files only and it gives me this error:

ERROR: ExceptionWithCustomMessage: Could not create or change the folders
Severity: 1105
-
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIPrefBranch.getComplexValue]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js :: anonymous :: line 437" data: no]
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js:430
e));
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js:382
this._ensureFoldersExist();
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js:348
this._prefsFoldersObserver.start(this.dataDir);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js:251
this._initMisc();
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/app.js:39
this.settings.start();
5. chrome://tthome/content/ui/mainwin/mainWin.js:45
gApplication.start();
6. function onLoad chrome://tthome/content/ui/mainwin/mainWin.js:15
gMainWindow.start();
7. function onload chrome://tthome/content/ui/mainwin/mainWin.xul:1

CAUSE: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIPrefBranch.getComplexValue]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js :: anonymous :: line 437" data: no]
in chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js:437
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js:437
|| ((gApplication.settings.isOSMacOSX() && this._prefs.getComplexValue(prefName, CI.nsILocalFile).path.indexOf(".Trash") >= 0)))
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js:423
this._tryAndSetFolderPref(key, this._prefToDefaultMap[key]);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js:382
this._ensureFoldersExist();
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js:348
this._prefsFoldersObserver.start(this.dataDir);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js:251
this._initMisc();
5. chrome://tthome/content/logic/app.js:39
this.settings.start();
6. chrome://tthome/content/ui/mainwin/mainWin.js:45
gApplication.start();
7. function onLoad chrome://tthome/content/ui/mainwin/mainWin.js:15
gMainWindow.start();
8. function onload chrome://tthome/content/ui/mainwin/mainWin.xul:1

Time: Thu, 14 May 2009 19:56:32 GMT

-------------------

Looks like I still need to move over some of the other files on my list?

Thanks!

These are the files in the root of my 720. Your names may vary somewhat:

antitheftw.bmp
autorun.inf
bootloaderversion.txt
clmdata
connect2internet.db
connect2internet.so
connect2internetdb.ver
CurrentLocation.dat
CurrentMap.dat
data.chk
data_im1.chk
data_lim.chk
data_lis.chk
data_ra.chk
data_sp.chk
data_ts.chk
fm2010parameters
fmsignal
install.bif
InstallTomTomHOME.exe
internal.dat
libaec_55.so
libaec_60.so
lowbatteryw.bmp
mctx.dat
mctx.txt
pluserror.txt
reflush.log
settings.dat
signpost_li.txt
splashw.bmp
splashw.bmp.bak
system
tomtom.ico
ttdesk.ver
ttgo.bif
TTPnPD.log
ttsystem
UserPatch.dat

The .vif files, I suspect, should go with the associated dataxx.chk file in your voices folder where xx is a number. So, if you have data22.chk, you should also have a data22.vif file.

The .tlv file should go in a maps folder.

Thanks. I do have all the right files in the main directory, but still have a few other files to put in the subdirectories... Tried reinstalling the HOME software, seemed to install fine, but the device keeps displaying the big old red X and won't start up.

The files I still need to place in are...

Application.tlv ---> I moved this inside the maps folder. is that right?
birthday.txt
clear.gif
GPL-offer.txt
image.ini
image.ver
index.html
index_ca.html
index_cs.html
index_da 09-48-26.html ---> many files like this one, with different letters after index, I assume for languages: de, en, es, fi, fr, hu, it, lv, nl.... to zh
index_da.html ---> many files like this one, with different letters after index, I assume for languages: de, en, es, fi, fr, hu, it, lv, nl.... to zh
local.ini
MapServerPatch.dat
MD5_license.txt
P.ddf
PA.jar
PatchFilter.dat
Read Me First.txt
ServerLineIndex.dat
ServerNameIndex.dat

Anybody know where these go? Thanks for any help.

So... I called support and their servers are down, so I need to call again tomorrow... The girl didn't know what I was talking about - 'what files'? There should only be one file... So, it should be interesting tomorrow if I get the same kind of representative...

Anyone out there know where those other files need to go? The HOME application seems to think my device is fine, no more errors, says doesn't need an update and all, but it keeps giving me the X...

Your most reliable approach is to have nothing on the tomtom except for the USA_and_Canada folder with the map files.

Before doing that, however, copy your USA_and_canada folder to your computer's drive and format the tomtom drive as fat32. There could be a damaged file system that caused your original red X.

After formatting, copy the USA_and_Canada folder back,

Then turn the tomtom off and on a few times, until it autogenerates a few files in the root folder on its own. (it will do so even with the red X.

Once the files are autogenerated, HOME will recognize the tomtom and will offer to install the full application.

Once the application is on, then download voices, quickgpsfix, and mapshare edits, and then you're good to go.

Last edited:
right click on the tomtom drive in "my computer" and select format.

Again, backup your map first.

Hmm.. I'm on a mac and don't see formatting a drive as a option. I tried reinstalling the HOME program and reupdating, but keep getting the X. I wonder if it still needs some of those files I moved out of their folders.

Can you do a search on your TomTom and tell me where these files are located inside your device?

Application.tlv ---> I moved this inside the maps folder. is that right?
clear.gif
image.ini
image.ver
local.ini
MapServerPatch.dat
P.ddf
PA.jar
PatchFilter.dat
ServerLineIndex.dat
ServerNameIndex.dat

I also have these text and html files -- I'm not too worried about these, but it'd be nice if someone could tell me where they go as well.

birthday.txt
GPL-offer.txt
index.html
index_ca.html
index_cs.html
MD5_license.txt
Read Me First.txt

I'd then feel better about calling support if I'm still getting the X but I feel I should place all the files back in to make sure I'm back to square 1.

Thanks for any help!

That's good news. Yeah, mvl suggested that to you last evening, just keeping the map folder.

Anyway.........

Make a complete backup using Finder, not Home................will save you grief in the future! :eek:

Haha. Yes, mlv did suggest that, but it seemed so risky, I was scuuuured to try it. =)

Yes, I've got my backup via Finder.

Thanks again for your help.

dhn,

Do you know what clmdata is for?
I noticed when I try different navcores using a SD card that it changes this file on internal memory.

Also what is ttpnpd.log logging?
This file was not on my original G0730 but is on the Referb they sent me.

It also looks like it keeps repeeting the same events over and over but the log keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Events include Docking device, USB Host, External Microphone, HeadPhone device, and /dev/ttySAC3
There is also the occasional "" or null in the log.

Ask a Question