Need a new Tom Tom but cannot find any models I like

I am in the US and need to replace my TomTom Go Live 740. I looked at TomTom website and I do not like any of the current models. The only ones listed are the Go 600/500, Go 60/50S, and the GO 60/50. Here are the problems I have with them. The first two are the main issues, the third is an "I can live with it."

1) I need traffic, but I do not want to use a smart phone. All three versions state that traffic is through a smart phone connection. Deal breaker.

2) I am moving to the Middle East next spring. According to the map page, the maps of the Middle East are not available for these units, but it is available for my Go Live 740. What gives?

3) I love live services, and none of these are connected devices. I can live with that.

Any ideas that you might have would be appreciated. Thanks.

Check out the GO LIVE 2535 and GO LIVE 1535, there are still a few new/used ones on amazon/ebay etc.

Those are the latest non-smartphone LIVE models, and do support middle east maps.

I have a go 2535 live still in the box I'm willing to sell and I'll give all the info needed for the life time maps plus I had a new battery put in it about 5 months ago. I just don't know a good selling price for it so make an offer

mvl, thanks for the reply. To be honest, I had not considered buying an older new model.

srphelps, thanks for the offer, but I am thinking about forgoing the Live services since they will not work where I am going and it sounds like it will be phased out before I return back to the Stataes anyway. I read somewhere that AT&T is doing away with that cellular system sometime in 2016.

To all: I am looking at the GO 1535 TM, without Live services, since it will not work where I am going anyway. Unfortunately, the reviews on Amazon for this device run about 50-50 between the one star and five star reviews. Any power users here have any experience, opinions on this model? I know the traffic receiver may or may not work. I took my 740 to England when I lived there and the RF receiver worked even though TOMTOM's website said it wouldn't.

The traffic info for that model is received with the included rds-tmc combo antenna/car charger. And the receiver should work in other countries for which you obtain a map, such as in Europe.

Tomtom had substantial new software additions over the life of the VIA1535TM. It started out as junk, and ended up as one of the best non-LIVE Tomtom's they've ever made via software updates. That's probably the reason for the flipflopping Amazon reviews.

The new models are just repeating the story 3 years later. We're in year 2 of the devices, and they're starting to become tolerable after initially being junk. Hopefully Tomtom gets them as good as the VIA1535TM or better as their lifecycle goes on.

Ask a Question