Navigate to postcode requires street number - Why did they do this?

In the uk, don't know about anywhere else, the latest update makes you HAVE to enter a house number when entering a postcode address.

This is useless to me, it's getting so many deliveries in the wrong place.

Just today I had a delivery to a place on a country road not far outside of Peterbrough.
According to my device (go720) I now have to enter a number with that address and it doesn't have a number.
I had to put a number between 5 and 7. That dropped me around 1 mile away from the correct address.

You might think that's not such a big deal but getting an articulated vehicle turned around on country roads just aint all that easy.

There will also be a problem with a shop we go to in Birmingham. Putting JUST the postcode directs you around 100 yards away from the shop. Perfect. Having to use a number, as I did the first time I went there, directs you to a street with the same name but approximately 5 miles away!!

TomTom need to rethink this change.

I can't find a way hidden in options to turn it off, can I go back to the previous application?

Last edited by a moderator:
I presume you are experiencing this with 8.351. If you've made a backup of your application 8.350 and it doesn't have this problem, then sure, why not roll back?

In the uk, don't know about anywhere else, the latest update makes you HAVE to enter a house number when entering a postcode address.
Worldwide, address entry has proven to be a real problem for all of the mapping and GPSr manufacturers. I have a friend up N of London (end of the Jubilee line) who still has one of those "quaint" addresses that identifies his house by NAME. His address is "Name of His House", "Road Name", "Town Name". The road is of substantial length. What could any mapping service or GPSr that depends on it make of that?

And you should see what they do in Japan. House/building within the smallest zone that is defined (they address in zone areas, not streets) are typically numbered sequentially in the order in which the buildings were erected.

Don't think I don't have sympathy for your particular problem, but I can also understand how everyone in the industry is struggling with this. While that postcode address you used got you very close to that one location you mentioned, don't forget how much area the postcode actually covers and how much it might miss other possible destinations.

In any case, and given your special situation, you should probably consider moving backwards to a prior release (I see DHN just beat me to that suggestion) until such time as this is corrected, and make your complaint heard loudly at TT tech support (by phone, not email). Instructions reverting to a prior release are provided here in a couple of different threads.

For Canada, although our postal codes are of the format ANA NAN, the 'zip code' function for Canadian locations is limited to only ANA. As such, the area you are directed to is much broader. You then have to select a street within that broad area. In other words, the function is pretty much useless.

For Canada, although our postal codes are of the format ANA NAN, the 'zip code' function for Canadian locations is limited to only ANA. As such, the area you are directed to is much broader. You then have to select a street within that broad area. In other words, the function is pretty much useless.
That's pretty ugly. Has it been that way since the beginning, or is this also a result of a more recent Navcore release? As much square area as that portion of the postal code covers in your part of the world, just having the "ANA" data would be convenient for targeting large thermonuclear devices, but not much good for anything more specific than that! Aren't you glad you don't live somewhere that starts with an "X"? (Not intended to be a pun -- just sorta worked out that way).

Always been that way........

Along with no ALG in any Canadian mapping, having to pay for maps in Euros at the Dutch site and getting nailed with a 20% VAT (non refundable) [even if we pick US as our country], you almost wonder how TT has any Canadian customers ... :mad:

Always been that way........

Along with no ALG in any Canadian mapping, having to pay for maps in Euros at the Dutch site and getting nailed with a 20% VAT (non refundable) [even if we pick US as our country], you almost wonder how TT has any Canadian customers ... :mad:

Whoooah... wait a minute... You mean that when the map subscription says 39.80 Euros, there is a 20% tax on top??? So is it 47.80 Euros in total? On top of that we also would have to pay a money changing fee from Canadian to Euros as well which works out to another 3-5% (give or take) with Visa or whatever!

What a rip. I've almost bought the map subscription but was waiting for the software to become stable (might be waiting a long time) but was also annoyed that I can't buy in U.S. $ which works out to be about $10 Canadian cheaper than buying in Euros. If there is a 20% tax on top then the price difference is really extra stupid.

It's great that the maps are now cheaper but since the software is so buggy and so many people have horror stories of trying to update to the latest map I've decided not to bother until absolutely necessary but having to buy in Euros with a 20% tax has made me lose even more interest. TT has a Canadian website and internet store so it is additionally irritating that you can't buy maps in Canada with Canadian $$.

TT tries (maybe not too hard) but they just can't seem to put the pieces together.

From what I understand, the street number requirement issue was introduced in 8.350.

You'll have to go back to 8.302. In HOME, go to remove items, items on device, and remove the application. Then go to "add traffic, voices, etc", then "items on my computer", then under application look for app 8.302 to reinstall.

interesting, I want to have house and street numbers first but dont get that option here in Austrlia?

What gives?

If I'm understanding the issue properly, post codes in the UK are so specific that you don't actually need an address.

This would be similar to the zip+6 addresses used in the US by bulk mailers.

The new software requires you to enter a street and number after entering a postcode, whereas the old software only required a street (and the zip code put you on the right house number).

I'm not sure either method is what you're looking for.

I am a little confused by this one, with the latest Navcore installed to the device you have to enter the house number but only where the house number data is stored within the map data, for example try PR41AX and you don't get to enter house numbers.
This has to be better than the previous method, if you used to leave the house number blank you would be sent by the device to the middle of that specific section of road, if you entered the number of the house you get dropped at the door, if you are delivering goods then I would have thought you have a full address in addition to the postcode for each drop?
The big issue with postcodes is when you are out in the countryside, a single postcode can cover a few miles, often houses in the countryside have names rather than numbers and finding these can indeed be "fun" - Mike

Post Code blues

This makes TomTom wear the conical hat
Once I know where the typical post code location, I set up a favorite and rename it 'PC123Q Long Road'. so you can seach in future.
Use 'mylocation' to set up favorite or longitute/ latitude coordinates from multimap.com

TomTom support suggested that I blank the house number and press 'OK' but this does not work. Now I have sent them my system information and they are sending this to the next level of technical support. Hopefully the 'tech guy' who made this stupid amendment will be found wearing the appropriate headgear !

This is one of the reasons I haven't updated from 8.302 yet. Maybe they'll change it in the future but until then I have no desire to upgrade the firmware.

I to am having the same problem in the uk, I can enter the postcode which may be a farm and the 720 would take me to a near enough location, now with the house numbers if i leave the default suggestion, it doesn't even take me to the correct area in some case can be up to two miles away where as the previous version was almost spot on
Mick
Birmingham UK
HGV driver

yes , the updates aren't always for the better , best to to wait a year or so till feedback comes thro on wot they are like.....lol ;)

Ask a Question