Navcore 8.x released for older models

Can someone with the 8.010 update check if it broke Itineraries?

Whenever I select them in my ONE 3rd now, the unit hangs then hard reboots back to the 'red hands' screen. I'm pretty sure that it used to bring up the "ADD a Route" screen under NavCore 7.166.

Thanks,

R?

They pulled the update because of bugs etc. It has happened before with units trying to update to the newest Navcore.
Here is an example

They pulled the update because of bugs etc. It has happened before with units trying to update to the newest Navcore.
Here is an example
Yeah, I read about that. I managed to complete the update before it was pulled.

But I was trying to determine if this bug was due to the new NavCore or some other cause. In another thread, a member confirmed that he's having similar Itinerary problems with 8.010, whereas they worked for him under 7.166. So it appears to be the cause for ONE 3rd editions. No info on whether or not this is broken in other TomToms.

I can deal with the lousy compass, making little-used Itineraries the only NavCore8 issue affecting me. The new Map Corrections outweigh this, IMO. Unless something else crops up, I'll probably stick it out, until the bugfixes are released. :(

R?

I just checked for updates this morning (6/10/08) and Navcore 8.010 was still being offered for my TT-3rd edition. This update is reportedly breaking some of the 3rd's ability to use 'itinerary planning' ? that is if you've added the custom menu. So Beware!!

I use itinerary planning a lot, so I won't be installing this update anytime soon.

Last edited:
I spoke with TomTom Tech Support yesterday to make sure they were aware of the Itinerary problem that 8.010 causes in ONE 3rd's. It's on their "list." :(

R?

I suspect the reason the N8 firmware is still being offered for ONE users is this. Apparently, even with N8 AND version 8 maps, ONE units will NOT support IQ routing and Advance Lane guidance. So, these options (I think) aren't even being shown in the firmware release for ONES.

But, they are were being shown as choices for x20 users who downloaded the firmware since, with N8 AND version 8 maps, x20 units WILL be able to have those features on their maps.

The problem is that no official version 8 maps have been released for x20 units but x20 owners who downloaded N8 saw the options in the new firmware, and immediately started bombarding TT with calls saying ALG wasn't working!

So, TT pulled the N8 release.

Unfortunately, the N8 release killed custom menu items like Itinerary Planning for some, killed VR for others, and lottsa other stuff.:mad:

The reference to ONE'S non support of the features is here (from a staff member of a Brit forum, Darren, who said in a post:

"However, as the latest recently announced ONE models DO NOT support IQ routes and ALG even with a v8 map, it is reasonable to assume that all ONE devices will be denied this facility even if a V8 map is installed."

So V3 people can get it. What about V2 people? I have an SD card running 7.10 and would like the new firmware. Anyone have the download location and instructions they would like to pass on?

Bearer of bad news

That plus it killed VR (again) plus Home doesn't work well with it ...

Unfortunately, TomTom 720 users were never meant to have VR; that's a big difference between the 720 and the 920: you pay more for the 920 because of the voice recognition. One of the firmware releases accidentally left that turned on for the 720. I would be real surprised if they turned that on again for 720 users.

Yes, TT Home's "Operate My Go" feature doesn't seem to work well with NavCore 8. This is yet another example of a disconnect between the TT Home developers and the NavCore developers. It's hard to say whether that's a missing feature in TT Home or a problem with NavCore 8, but if (as I suspect) the problem is in TT Home, we should see a patch to TT Home before the next firmware release. To do this smoothly, they would have to release the TT Home patch, wait several weeks for everyone to upgrade, and then re-release NavCore 8. However now that the 920 customer base has had a taste of NavCore 8 (with fixes for POI and street lists, traffic calculations, and voice recognition), it would be bad business for them to delay the re-release if (as they claim) they pulled it back to hide IQ Routes. That's just a few lines of code:

if not (modelnum == 930 or modelnum == 730) then
{
HideIQRoutes=true;
BuildMenu();
}

So this isn't available for the 720?

To avoid another mishap (like making VR available for the 720, see above) NavCore 8 was pulled back so they could disable the features that were only meant for 730/930 devices (like IQ Routes). There are also a few other bugs they're fixing. ...but I believe that when NavCore 8 is ready, they are planning to make it available to 720 owners.

:mad: I got Nav8 and 805 Maps on my 920, and I WANT IQ routes and Lane Guidence, BS that is it should be exclusive to 730/930 with the exact hardware config. IQ routes and Lane Quidence works for me. So I guess I will NOT Update to the next Re-release of Navcore8 and revert to disabling these...

Bad dicission on thier part regaring the 920/930.. Everything works for me so I'm sticking with what I have. Until it starts spewing out smoke, then I may be forced to buy a Navigon if they done get it right for 920 and 930 owners..

Do you use 8.002 or 8.0.10. With the former there was no ALG icon in the Preference menu on my 930. Even now, that it is enabled I don't see it driving down the 14 lane highway.

IQ routes is not all it is cracked up to be. On a 30 mile trip across Toronto it tells me 36 minutes on a weekend and 38 minutes on a weekday. In the last nine years I have never been able to make that in lees than an hour ten minutes during rush hour.

Navigon looked good to me but they eMailed back that they plan to offer a unit in Q2 with European maps. I need that for next Saturday.
TomTom announced sales of the 930 to start end of April in Canada. Decided to buy a Garmin 770 latest by June 6 but the 930 was finaly offered by Best Buys in may 28.
AFAIK, at this time only the x7x Garmins and 9xx TomToms offer both, North American and European maps on the same unit.

If your asking Me, yes 8.0010 on 920 and I do have the Hide ALG icon under prefferences. Not sure why you wouldn't.

IQ routes is not all it is cracked up to be. On a 30 mile trip across Toronto it tells me 36 minutes on a weekend and 38 minutes on a weekday. In the last nine years I have never been able to make that in lees than an hour ten minutes during rush hour.

And that's the weakness of the concept; namel, it is supposed to take into consideration the day of the week but not the time of day. The theory is that the more people share their driving experiences over a specific road, the more accurate the calculations will be. That's the theory, anyway.

Meanwhile, ever heard of the 407? :p

Ask a Question