Navcore 8 Changes Power Button

With Navcore 7 you had to hold the power button in for 3 seconds in order for the 920 to turn on. Now under navcore 8, you only need to touch the button once for half a second and it powers up. Discovered this during a couple of emergency situations. A slight touch while in its carrying case and the unit turned on till the battery ran dry. I was not impressed. The 3 sec delay was created just so this would not happen. Has anyone else noticed it?
Rgds, Murray

With Navcore 7 you had to hold the power button in for 3 seconds in order for the 920 to turn on. Now under navcore 8, you only need to touch the button once for half a second and it powers up. Discovered this during a couple of emergency situations. A slight touch while in its carrying case and the unit turned on till the battery ran dry. I was not impressed. The 3 sec delay was created just so this would not happen. Has anyone else noticed it?
Rgds, Murray

The quick touch for on and off is indeed one aspect of the N8 firmware.

Thanks, dhn. If it was a programming error, I would hope that TT would acknowledge it and fix it. If it was intentional and TT just can't decide which way to set the default time, then they should make it a preference and give users the option to choose. I would rather put up with a 2 or 3 sec delay than to continually find my 920 has a dead battery when I get off a flight and am stranded somewhere.
Regards, MM

I bet is just spnotaneously came on like my 930 does from time to time.
I have yet to figure out what causes it to come on but it is definitely not from the power button being touched.

Buggy software if you ask me.

Rgds, Murray

I am using Navcore 8 and I have noticed if you just turn your TT off in TT home without going into device management and asking it to disconnect that it seem to then take 3-4 seconds of holding the button for unit to turn on just like it did with Navcore 7. ( Just make sure your updates are finished and the red X is gone)

I don't know it this could cause any problems by not asking home to disconect as long as the downloads are finished.

All I can say is that I haven't had any issues with doing this including not having unit starting up on its's own.

Give it a try this might solve your dead battery traveling problem ??

Last edited:
It's a Borg

Well, having done a few more tests I am now convinced that the unit either does not shut down properly or it turns itself on. Either way it runs the battery empty ever couple of days. Anyone know the best way to revert to an earlier backup with Navcore 7?
Tks & Rgds,
Murray

To revert to N7....

First, make a full backup of your unit using Explorer. Then, remove the application using Home. Then copy all the loose files (NOT FOLDERS) from the root of your backup to the root of the unit. You may need a pin reset.

If you don't have a backup, you can get a v7 version of firmware from here: http://www.oldboy.me.uk/TomTomUpdates/index.html

dhn, thanks. That worked but when I powered up all of my preference settings, owner info, etc were all gone. Is there any way to save them?

dhn, thanks. That worked but when I powered up all of my preference settings, owner info, etc were all gone. Is there any way to save them?

From your backup, copy the Mapsettings.cfg from the specific map folder on the backup to the map folder on the unit. That may get some back; others you'll just have to redo, sorry.

Thanks. I made the regression on both of our TT920s. The power button function seems to be back to normal AND I have the V7 Compass functionality back!!
Thanks for the assistance. I think the next time the OS is upgraded I will wait a few months before installation.
Given the power bug which I would consider pretty serious, I am surprised TT is allowing 8.01 to be downloaded to 920s.
Regards, Murray

Thanks, dhn. If it was a programming error, I would hope that TT would acknowledge it and fix it. If it was intentional and TT just can't decide which way to set the default time, then they should make it a preference and give users the option to choose. I would rather put up with a 2 or 3 sec delay than to continually find my 920 has a dead battery when I get off a flight and am stranded somewhere.
Regards, MM

Suggest that using a Support ticket. If it makes sense to TomTom they may implement it without needing a quorum.

FYI each time I sync my N8 920 I have to hold down the button to turn it on. ...and then it shows the TT logo with the drum sound and does a full boot. If yours does the same thing, maybe the trick is, next time you have to pack up your GPS just sync it right before packing it away.

I bet is just spnotaneously came on like my 930 does from time to time.
I have yet to figure out what causes it to come on but it is definitely not from the power button being touched.
Haven't seen that happen on my 920 so far. ...though, when I had Event Logger installed, sometimes my TT would fail to shut down and it would self-reset during shutdown, starting it up again and eventually draining the battery.

Last edited:
I called TomTom. They asked me to remove the application and reinstall Navcore 8. After installation they said to run the ClearFlash utility and that should take care of the problem.
I complained about the Compass functionality in N8 and was told that the next Navecore release would restore the compass to its N7 functionality. I got the feeling that the new compass look might have been more by programming accident than design.
It sounds like there may be a new Navcore release not too far off so instead of messing with 8.01 I think I will just hold off and stay with 7.48 for now.
Regards, Murray

I called TomTom. They asked me to remove the application and reinstall Navcore 8. After installation they said to run the ClearFlash utility and that should take care of the problem.
I complained about the Compass functionality in N8 and was told that the next Navecore release would restore the compass to its N7 functionality. I got the feeling that the new compass look might have been more by programming accident than design.
It sounds like there may be a new Navcore release not too far off so instead of messing with 8.01 I think I will just hold off and stay with 7.48 for now.
Regards, Murray

7.481? Eck! Hope you have better luck with it than I did.

The compass thing wasn't accidental; I'd read somewhere that they needed to reimplement it. Sometimes with a major number release (e.g. V7 to V8) some subroutines have to be rewritten. That is to say, the old compass software didn't work with the new navigation software. I can think of half a dozen causes for that without even having access to their source code, but suffice to say that making it look the same as the old one was the least of their worries if you think about what has to happen behind the graphics and prefs screens to make it all work together. :eek:

What I read said they would implement a simple compass for the initial V8 release and they would eventually get back to the compass and fix it up. (hmmm... smarter traffic handling and better POI search logic or a better compass? :rolleyes: I think they made the right choice)

TomTom got a lot more complaints than they expected about the compass thing. I use the 2D map view most of the time so I don't care, and I'm surprised so many others do. I'd have put the compass in the same priority bracket as new color schemes. :p

Well, I would disagree with you on the compass value. I had it set on option 4 which pointed the needle to the bearing of the destination and in the centre it displayed the "line of sight" distance to that destination. I find this very useful. When you are navigating complex highway intersection that come together like a bowl of spaghetti and where sometimes the signs do not correspond to the route numbers or names in the TT, the compass gives you an immediate mental lock to your destination providing you with the extra insight required to make a split second decision regarding which for, turn, or direction to take.
I will take the compass over a number of other features in the device including using it as an MP3 player.
Regards, Murray

Ask a Question