NASA Space Capsules

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340S Live
With the wind down of our Shuttle Program and the 50th year of Man In Space, I thought I would map out where all our past Space Programs' capsules are on display.

This was originally motivated by seeing a few at the Kennedy Space Center and wondering where the rest are.

These POIs are a result of Google mapping each program (Mercury, Gemini, Apollo) and then combining them all into one. Locations were made at close street level. From there, the maps links were imported into Tyre and converted to POIs for my XL Live 340.

It's my first real attempt at some good converted POIs so forgive any errors, tho' I think I got it right.

The "Space Capsules" has two logos in it. One is the current 'meatball' logo and the other is the old logo that was in use during the three Space Programs.

Hope they came out OK and I hope others will enjoy them or find them handy. My thanks to this forum for providing some great info and keeping the "upgrade frustrations" at a bare minimum! I would've thrown my GPS out the window without the knowledge from those posts alone.

Attachments

• Mercury Capsules.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 353
  • Gemini Capsules.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 348
  • Apollo Capsules.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 353
  • Space Capsules.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Very timely - some of the information just came out in the news.

NICELY done Cienega32. Thanks!

Nice list, Thanks!

(But why did you leave out the lunar modules?.....:cool:)

Thank you.

I'm not really done with them yet. I just wanted to get the basics done.

The Apollo list has much more to go. Like you said Andy - the LM list for one and I want to get more in there as far as the Saturn rockets. The three complete LMs I should've included in the Apollo list.

There are so many others - trainers, etc on display. It's pretty amazing all the hardware that's around to be seen.

The three complete LMs I should've included in the Apollo list.

That'll serve me right for trying to be funny...:embarassed:

I was assuming ALL the bottom halves were left on the moon and the top halves were back there as wreckage or in orbit somewhere.

Were these trainers or spares etc?

There are a handful of test and trainers available and 3 actual Apollo mission designated full LEMs that were never used on display

LM-2 was never used because of the success of LM-1 on Apollo 5's testing. National Air & Space - Wash D.C.

LM-9 was an "H" series assigned to Apollo 15 which later became a "J" mission - extended landing. Saturn V Building KSC, FLA. (I've seen that one!)

LM-13 was one assigned to one of the cancelled missions. This is one that was used in the "From The Earth To The Moon" HBO mini-series. They redressed it for each of the landings in the series. Cradle of Aviation, Mitchell Field, L.I., NY

Apollo 15 being changed from a "short" mission to a "long" mission made for a few extra parts. At the Kennedy Space Center, the CSM-119 on displayed was saved for Skylab missions and was actually on the pad on top the Saturn IB that's in the Rocket Garden there.

I can't figure out how to get the pieces that were left/crashed on the moon into TomTom but I have the locations:
List of man-made objects on the Moon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:D:thumb:

Ask a Question