NA & Western Europe maps 8.30 available

Downloading now....

Strangely enough I had just emailed them on Friday regarding TomTom Home wanting to change me again for the map upgrade service... they responsed this morning saying it's a known issue they're working on yada yada yada... same response others here got months ago. Then I log into Home a minute ago and hello new maps.... coincidence? Likely.....

Blair

Downloaded fine... no issues.. I did download the newest Navcore a while ago...

Still missing a road/street extension that was in service this time last year. No other differences noted yet....

B

Downloading now....

Strangely enough I had just emailed them on Friday regarding TomTom Home wanting to change me again for the map upgrade service... they responsed this morning saying it's a known issue they're working on yada yada yada... same response others here got months ago. Then I log into Home a minute ago and hello new maps.... coincidence? Likely.....

Blair

Actually its unlikely. I've been having the same error message about not have the subscription even though I have.

Plugged it in this morning and I had a new map available for download without telling Tomtom of my problem. And even though I got it, it still ask me to buy their subscription plan.

Downloaded and installed within 30-40 minutes. Works like a champ, however the serious errors I've encountered and corrected via mapshare are still there. Surprisingly enough I did notice a difference, a lot more streets have speed limits entered. I dont know if this will have any effect on routing (non-IQR model here) or not....

... Works like a champ, however the serious errors I've encountered and corrected via mapshare are still there. Surprisingly enough I did notice a difference, a lot more streets have speed limits entered. I dont know if this will have any effect on routing (non-IQR model here) or not....

Yeah, I have a text file of map corrections & speed limits around my locale, which have to be re-entered with each new map update. Fighting with the Speed Limit interface is, without question, the worst part.

Fortunately, the list has been slowly shrinking.

Yeah, I have a text file of map corrections & speed limits around my locale, which have to be re-entered with each new map update. Fighting with the Speed Limit interface is, without question, the worst part.

Fortunately, the list has been slowly shrinking.

Consider yourself lucky. I have entire neighborhoods missing off the map (Grand Oaks Ct, Abingdon, MD). Major roads that dont connect on the map (so you are never routed down them) but they do connect (MacPhail Rd, Bel Air, MD), and even worse is vice versa, when you are going down a road that doesnt connect (Neil Run Rd, Airville, PA).

Where normally its not a big deal sometimes it is. Neil Run Rd starts off as a dirt road that is too narrow to turn a work truck around on. Its also too steep to back up with rear wheel drive when its wet. Too top it off it doesnt connect like Tomtom says, it runs into a creek. Needless to say I had to pay a tow truck (who almost got stuck as well) to pull me out. They have since put a sign up advising GPS owners (Tomtom only because my Nuvi avoids it) its not a connecting road....

I'm going to be patient though. I still have a couple more updates on my subscription left.

Oddly enough, after installing the North America 8.30 map, all of my past mapshare corrections were still in place (the ones I'm able to fix through the interface), but I've yet to find any of my submitted changes added (these being, the ones I can't). I haven't taken it out to test for retention of my speed limit changes, yet.

Previously, all changes were erased. So, maybe this really is a map "Update?"

Even my addition of a major interchange to an interstate highway (reported last October) isn't in the new map set.

I reported this one directly to TeleAtlas' site in addition to TomTom. At one time, the TeleAtlas site had slowly promoted my report to the "We see it and are working on it" level. It's since been demoted to something like "Yeah, we hear you, but we haven't even looked at it". Geez, we're talking about the intersection of a four lane divided and six lane divided highway. You'd think those would have some priority.

I really don't understand their operation...

Sadly, it doesn't. There is no Advanced Lane guidance or Reality View for any Canadian roads in map version 830.

Any smarter about highways

It's worth upgrading to me if the new map finally understands the difference between a highway and, well, everything else. I expect the cause of my earlier reported problem has to do with the properties of the roads. For example, I almost never hear the "take the highway" instruction except when I'm already on a highway and approaching an interchange.

Any word as to whether that's improved?

Sadly, it doesn't. There is no Advanced Lane guidance or Reality View for any Canadian roads in map version 830.

Gee, you'd think with us having the BUSIEST highway in North America, they might start to include these things...

Unfortunately, Canada seems to be an afterthought when it comes to current mapping and additional info such as ALG.

if I used the latest map guaranty once alreadyand I am still within the first 30 days can I use it again to get the 8.30 maps?

if I used the latest map guaranty once alreadyand I am still within the first 30 days can I use it again to get the 8.30 maps?

Unfortunately, no. Only 1 map update is included with LMG. You can however, check as many times as you want to see if a newer version of map is available for 30 days using LMG, which I think is pretty dumb of TomTom to say this.

Bummer. Anyway, it's good information to have going forward, that TomTom is a company okay with fraudulently advertising a major feature of their devices that doesn't actually exist in the country they''re advertising in, and which they have no apparent desire to provide. That TomTom will not reliably describe the actual features available to potential customers is something I will keep in mind when reviewing their devices on various forums and retail sites, and will be sure to mention to people who ask me for advice when purchasing a GPS unit.

Ask a Question