NA maps different for 920 & 720?

TomTom Model(s)
hey evbdy,
i posted this same question in 920 section too.... i just wanted to make sure that some one can see this....:eek:
i am wondering if there is any actual difference in the details between the 720 maps and 920 maps for NA? is the extra 400MB for making the map compatible with 920? i wouldnt think so.... i would think both maps are compatible with both devices... so, i am guessing that they have actually added some details on 920 maps...
the question is what is that extra 400MB? does that represent extra POIs? 400MB for poi would be unbelievable....:eek: :eek: so what is it? more roads?...hmmmm....:confused:
any one ?

Last edited:
hey evbdy,
i posted this same question in 920 section too.... i just wanted to make sure that some one can see this....:eek:
i am wondering if there is any actual difference in the details between the 720 maps and 920 maps for NA? is the extra 400MB for making the map compatible with 920? i wouldnt think so.... i would think both maps are compatible with both devices... so, i am guessing that they have actually added some details on 920 maps...
the question is what is that extra 400MB? does that represent extra POIs? 400MB for poi would be unbelievable....:eek: :eek: so what is it? more roads?...hmmmm....:confused:
any one ?

YEAH I want to know too, I want the best US/Canada Map but no need for euro map. However if the 920 do contains more detail than I will go for it.

the question is what is that extra 400MB?
My guess is that it is related entirely to the speech-recognition function.

That is one of the main differences between the two models, and I know (coz I have it on my 720 :)) that the speech-recognition functionality is tied to the map.

There may also be differences in detail though, I can't tell you. You would have to compare the two.

I have a 510 that's shpped with USA_and_Canada map. Last xMas I got a free DVD from TomTom that contains both USA_and_Canada and North_America maps.
Though both of them were bad, the North_America is way better than the USA_and_Canada version, in both quantity and accuracy.

Hi, first post here. Hope to soon have a 920T.

One difference I know about is that the 920 ships with 7.10 maps and the 720 with 7.05 maps. I was talking to TomTom about this since the 920 can use HOV lanes. This is what they told me.

To clarify this a little bit for you, the HOV lanes are available on the Go 720 aswell as the Go 920. However, it is not just that 7.2 software application that makes this work, but the map version on the units aswell. The Go 920 comes with the 7.10 version maps and the Go 720 comes with the 7.05 version maps. The Go 720 can be upgraded to these maps when they are purchased but without them, this HOV feature will not work.

I don't think that accounts for the whole 400+MB but I'm sure it accounts for some of it.

Just got a free map upgrade through home.. its said 1915mb.. my current map is 1.2g so im still trying to figure how i will install it since my internal memory is 1955mo total
its 200mb bigger than the 1.7g listed on the maps section of home !

ok... so now that we know that the speech recognition function can be restored in the 720, that would mean the extra 400MB is for something else. could it be the guam and puertorico map???

ok guys,.,
from what the tomtom customer support guys say,
there is no difference in detail between 920 and 720. the only difference that accounts for the ~400MB difference is that 920 maps have the voice recognition data tied to its map...
well, there it goes...

I used a 720 for about a week and now have a 920T. I haven't been anywhere with HOV lanes so I can't answer that. I can only say that I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever in the detail on the maps. I live in a very rural area in far Southern NJ and commute to Philadelphia.

ok guys,.,
from what the tomtom customer support guys say,
there is no difference in detail between 920 and 720. the only difference that accounts for the ~400MB difference is that 920 maps have the voice recognition data tied to its map...
well, there it goes...

So now few of us can get the voice recognition to work on our Go720. So what is that 400MB again? Hum... may be I should call TomTom (europe)... Oops what language they speak again? :D

I played around with a TomTom One XL for awhile, and the maps on that unit were definitely lacking some off-road detail. Two little lakes near my home weren't on those maps. But the maps on the 720 and 920T both include these little lakes.

TomTom should really make this stuff more clear on their website and product packaging. I almost got the One XL after playing with all the different models at Best Buy because there didn't seem to be a lot of difference from the more expensive models. But fortunately I looked at the area around my house and noticed the missing map detail. That was the only clue I had the maps were different.

Well I didn't actually buy a TomTom One, just played with it for awhile at the store. I got a 720 but upgraded it a week later to a 920T. I just used whatever maps were preloaded on the units, i didn't do an update. But in terms of detail, I didn't see any difference.

hi boyd....
im glad that you noticed the difference and returned it for an upgrade...
now here is the twist.... 720 itself has different versions of maps for download!!:D see this thread
https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?p=34389#post34389

That's actually not right. The version of the maps the person in your url got was for the 9x0 series units. TT screwed up and gave if the wrong one. ALL versions of maps have varying levels of detail (lakes, rivers, POIs). The 720 version of NA maps have a POI file that's about 90 MB. The 9x0 has a 300+MB file. There's only about 1/10th of the shop POIs in the 720, and no churches, ect. I know this because I've had the 910 with x.1609 maps and the 720 with x.15** maps. I have since sold my 910 and activated my 720 under that account (you can change units every 6 months), and was able to download x.1609 maps on an SD card and use them.

That's actually not right. The version of the maps the person in your url got was for the 9x0 series units. TT screwed up and gave if the wrong one. ALL versions of maps have varying levels of detail (lakes, rivers, POIs). The 720 version of NA maps have a POI file that's about 90 MB. The 9x0 has a 300+MB file. There's only about 1/10th of the shop POIs in the 720, and no churches, ect. I know this because I've had the 910 with x.1609 maps and the 720 with x.15** maps. I have since sold my 910 and activated my 720 under that account (you can change units every 6 months), and was able to download x.1609 maps on an SD card and use them.

Not to nitpick, but rather a question. I have the 710.1609 version, and it looks as though the poi.dat is only about 263 MB. You mentioned 300+. Just wondering why those numbers are different?

So what does this all mean? I've activated the voice recognition on my 720, and it works, so what functionality difference would I see if I were able to d/l the 920 NA map?

So what does this all mean? I've activated the voice recognition on my 720, and it works, so what functionality difference would I see if I were able to d/l the 920 NA map?

Three times the poi's is about it.......

Ask a Question