NA map VS. US Can map screenshots?

Could anyone provide some screen shots of the US & Canada map versus the more detailed North American map.

I would just really like to see the differences etc, between them.

and this is just my general opinion on it but i think tomtom should focus on making 1 really good map instead of working on 2 maps for NA. doesn't seem like it would cost much more to bump up the internal memories to fit the more detailed ones.

OK. Here are comparison shots of an area in central Toronto. In the North America map, the streets are the same, but you see details like parks. Even the buildings are represented as silhouettes (quite accurately, I must say!)

Only the central parts of larger cities are represented with this much detail. If you go to the 'burbs', then it looks like the USA_Canada map. Smaller towns are also without as much detail (no buildings in silhouette).

Attachments

• USA_Canada Map.jpg
    USA_Canada Map.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 567
  • North America Map.jpg
    North America Map.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 545
If the folder on my TomTom is "North_America_2GB", and it's version 7.10, does that mean it's the more detailed North America map? Or is it the less detailed US & Canada map?

Edit: I navigated to the cross street of King's College Cir and King's College Rd. and got similar detail to what 46jimbo posted, so I guess I have the more detailed maps!

Last edited:
OK. Here are comparison shots of an area in central Toronto. In the North America map, the streets are the same, but you see details like parks. Even the buildings are represented as silhouettes (quite accurately, I must say!)

Only the central parts of larger cities are represented with this much detail. If you go to the 'burbs', then it looks like the USA_Canada map. Smaller towns are also without as much detail (no buildings in silhouette).
thanks this helps me visualize it a bit. would anyone mind doing a screenshot of Lafayette Indiana 47901, so i might see the difference around here. possibly one zoomed in a bit and one zoomed out a bit to see some of the surrounding area?

so all the roads the same then, correct? Just details of parks, lakes, rivers etc. So since the file on the TT website for the 720 is 1.7gb and the one for the 920 is just over 2gb, does that mean the second one is even more detailed.

Also, the more detailed come with more POI's correct?

Just getting as much info as i can on it. i might be getting a 2gb card that my dad isn't using with his garmin and then take advantage or the map sale. Or i might just use the card anyways and try and put tripmaster and some extra stuff on it.

Is my address in the new maps

Before I spend the money on the new maps, could someone look up my address and tell me if it is in there...

5011 Roy William Pl
Louisville, KY 40228

Thanks so much..A screen shot would be great if someone has the time..

Here is a screenshot of your area, showing that your address is not on the latest maps.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• louisville.zip
    29.3 KB · Views: 306
The NA map for sure is more detail and has more roads in that shot. It has the smaller roads in and around the circle.

I think the smaller roads might be pedestrian paths. It wouldn't affect your driving.

thanks this helps me visualize it a bit. would anyone mind doing a screenshot of Lafayette Indiana 47901, so i might see the difference around here. possibly one zoomed in a bit and one zoomed out a bit to see some of the surrounding area?

so all the roads the same then, correct? Just details of parks, lakes, rivers etc. So since the file on the TT website for the 720 is 1.7gb and the one for the 920 is just over 2gb, does that mean the second one is even more detailed.

Also, the more detailed come with more POI's correct?

Just getting as much info as i can on it. i might be getting a 2gb card that my dad isn't using with his garmin and then take advantage or the map sale. Or i might just use the card anyways and try and put tripmaster and some extra stuff on it.
anyone able to do these comparative shots for me? Lafayette IN 47901. NA vs US CAN, possibly one zommed in a bit and one zoomed out a bit. Thanks

Can I get a screen shot of 15071 area please with both maps NA and
US/ canada

From what I can see, there is very little difference. Maybe you could give a more precise location to compare?

This is nearby your address. There are definitely some new streets added (with no names). The rest of the map detail looks pretty much the same.

Attachments

• USA_Canada Map.jpg
    USA_Canada Map.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 366
  • North America Map.jpg
    North America Map.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 387
I did a little investigation, because I was considering picking up the NA map just to say I've got the latest... But considering I just bought this - and even @ 1/2 price, it's still almost $70CDN for the NA map. Not sure it's worth it to me at all.

According to TomTom, we should be getting a least 2-3 map updates a year. If this is true, I suggest you to wait for the next map update which map share may have helped map errors.

Ask a Question