NA 835.2419 POI database

Thanks much Pedro.....

Now to see if I can fit it into the 2GB internal memory space of a my 730....

It fits, just remove any computer voices that you don't use first. I squeeze it in with 200mb to spare.

From what I've read on this forum, this should be a simpe case of replacing the existing poi.dat and crpoi.dat file with the newer files. I assume that the .bmp files located in branding.zip should be copied into the same map folder where the new poi files are copied. Is that correct?

Yes, just replace the poi.dat and crpoi.dat files with the ones posted. Within the specific map folder will be a brand sub folder. The zipped brand folder .bmps can go there.

I'd advise, just to play safe, that you make a complete backup of your unit's contents PRIOR to changing the .dat files. Use Explorer for the backup.

Thanks again for all the super help you have provided. You guys just ROCK.

I should get this done sometime today.

Ran into a problem. Before installing the poi files I was going to delete some voice files to make sure that I have enough space. Got into TT Home with my 730T attached and seen properly. I do not have an icon to remove items from my GPS. Any suggestions? Re-install Home? Manually delete the voice files (would rather not)?

It fits, just remove any computer voices that you don't use first. I squeeze it in with 200mb to spare.

Wow, don't know what the difference is but with the new poi files installed and only susan and kate as the installed voices I only have 20.5 MB left. Are there some other things that I can take off (that I won't need) to make more room for additional poi catagories?

I'm currently using map 835.2460. It's the reduced size 835 IQ Routes map. I've heard that TomTom may have reduced the POI database to get it to fit on 2Gb devices. Do you know if this is true? And, if so I'm assuming that the posted file is of the original database....right?

Wow, don't know what the difference is but with the new poi files installed and only susan and kate as the installed voices I only have 20.5 MB left. Are there some other things that I can take off (that I won't need) to make more room for additional poi catagories?

You can dump anything in the license folder without US_EN in the file name.

I formatted the Tomtom completely, then let HOME install the map and the application. I only installed Susan, and installed Mandy as a non-computer backup.

Perhaps you have other lingering stuff (like the HOME installer that sits on the drive), or perhaps Kate is really big (it's a computer voice).

In any case, 20mb is more than enough space to function properly.

I'm currently using map 835.2460. It's the reduced size 835 IQ Routes map. I've heard that TomTom may have reduced the POI database to get it to fit on 2Gb devices. Do you know if this is true? And, if so I'm assuming that the posted file is of the original database....right?

The North America 2GB map had reduced POIs to fit. No one's ever figured out yet what Tomtom did to squeeze the USA/Can/Mex map. Perhaps reduced POIs, perhaps removal of rarely driven streets, perhaps less curvature or roads, perhaps less non-essential river/building detail.

You can dump anything in the license folder without US_EN in the file name.

Done... That gave me about 200KB more space. Not much. I was looking through the NA_2GB map folder and found a Doctors.ov2 and a Churchs.ov2 file. They are both over 10MB each and have a file date of 1/2008. I would think that I don't need those. I have only had this unit (new from Amazon) for about a month and I have not added any ov2 files yet. So those two .ov2 files came with the unit. Only thing I have done so far is add the new full POI database file posted in this thread. So do you think I can safely remove those two. After the new POI data was added I now have two catagories shown for both Doctors and Church.

Thanks dhn and mvl for all your help.

Last edited:

Thankfully the size of the poi database has not been reduced. The size of the crpoi.dat and poi.dat files is the same in the latest version of 835 as the earlier version. These files are each about 1 mb larger than in 830.

I have 176 mb of free space on my unit. The only voice I have installed is Susan.

Ask a Question