MytomTomSA won't work on Mac OS 10.7 "Lion"!

So says Tomtom in an email reply to my question. They say it will work only with OS 10.5 and 10.6 but not 10.7 As 10.7 will be available in a couple of weeks; as all new Macs from then on will have that OS; and a large proportion of Mac users update their OS, TomTom seem to be willing to cut off a significant part of the market.

Can this really be true? Any info?

Thanks.

That message is ambiguous and there is a world of difference between "our current version has not been tested with versions of OS greater than 10.6" and "we as a company hereby vow never ever to sell any version of MyTomTomSA for any newer release of OS". TomTom is a pragmatic commercial organization and doubtless they will attempt to cater to all profitable markets.

TomTom's exact words were:

"Steve, we are sorry to inform you that MyTomTom Support Application is not compatible with the OS 7 ?Lion.

MyTomTom Support Application is compatible with the only below Operating system.
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Mac OS 10.5.8 or higher (Intel-based Macs only)
Mac OS 10.6 (Intel-based Macs only)
"

When I pointed out that sales of TomToms would be reduced because of that, they replied:

"Steve, we have taken this issue as your feedback and it has been passed on the concerned department."

This gives the impression that they haven't yet got round to thinking of OS 7, which seems a rather relaxed approach. Three utilities that I use publicised some time ago the fact that they would work with OS 7. But as you say, TomTom will probably cater for OS 7 in due course, despite their rather negative response. In the meantime I will hold off buying a satnav until they do.

TomTom's exact words were:

"Steve, we are sorry to inform you that MyTomTom Support Application is not compatible with the OS 7 ?Lion.
.. and what that does not say is ".. and it never will be". Having fought development battles all the way through years of Apple OS releases, I can tell you that it's not always easy to keep things running with a new release, including OSX releases. It's entirely possible that they've run into an interoperability snag of some kind.

Yes, that's possible. (Although they could have said that they were working on it.)

As it happens, I have decided to buy a new iMac, when OS 7 arrives (expected this month). I will then be able to test whether the TomTom application works with it, and without actually buying the sat nav unless/until it works. I will report then.

IT WORKS!

I bought my Live 1000 three weeks ago and wasn't able to make any update on my Snow Leopard (widely described problem with hanging at 'Connecting...')

Yesterday I've updated my Mac Os to Lion, after that just reinstalled MyTomTomSA.dmg and... it started to work as expected ! :)

Ask a Question